How to connect Bluetooth adaptor/Ps3 controllers?
ok, I wanted wireless controllers. So, somewhere I read that PS3 controllers were easy to setup... lol, that was wrong. But anyways...

I found some generic PS3 knockoffs on ebay, as well as a generic bluetooth adapter.
After some insane gyrations on my windows7 PC I finally got it to connect there. WOW, that was ridiculously complicated.

Now I'm trying to get them synced on the linux box, but they aren't showing up in the device list when I put them into discover mode.

I can see the controller:
Code:
Controller 00:19:86:00:05:60
        Name: BlueZ 5.27
        Alias: MediaPCx
        Class: 0x000104
        Powered: yes
        Discoverable: no
        Pairable: yes
        UUID: PnP Information           (00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
        UUID: Generic Access Profile    (00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
        UUID: Generic Attribute Profile (00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
        UUID: A/V Remote Control        (0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
        UUID: A/V Remote Control Target (0000110c-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
        Modalias: usb:v1D6Bp0246d051B
        Discovering: yes

But the device list is just blank no matter what I do.

Does anyone have any tips?
Should I get different controllers? A Different bluetooth adapter? Both?
I'm not sure about non-sony hardware but I got a working setup with this tutorial: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sony_DualShock

If you are using a distribution like ubuntu you propably don't have to worry about the kernel module stuff on the top of the page.
It is important to have bluez version 5.12 or higher running. (a recent linux kernel can also set the player LED on the gamepad).

This link might also be helpful: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topi...th-how-to/
(2015-03-29, 21:43)Dippo Wrote: I'm not sure about non-sony hardware but I got a working setup with this tutorial: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sony_DualShock

If you are using a distribution like ubuntu you propably don't have to worry about the kernel module stuff on the top of the page.
It is important to have bluez version 5.12 or higher running. (a recent linux kernel can also set the player LED on the gamepad).

This link might also be helpful: http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topi...th-how-to/

Thank you, that was very helpful! I got it to connect!
But then I realized that in my many updates when I was trying to fix it, I somehow updated to Kodi and lost retroplayer! lol I don't think there's a way to roll it back so I'll have to reinstall later this week. If I get it to work, I'll write something up so people can no what to buy and how to get them installed. These knockoff controllers were only $17 for the pair, so if they do work they'd be a cheap way to get going.
Well, I'm stuck now. It appears that the only way my bluetooth adapter will work is if I update Openelec. But when I update openelec, I lose Retroplayer. It seems that my bluetooth adapters firmware exists in the update to Openelec, but I cannot update openelec because, for some god awful reason they've decided to disable pretty much every normal way you'd update a linux distro for... security reasons? On a media player? Anyways, I'll keep messing with it but I dont have much hope.
Getting closer... now I'm stuck on this error:

MediaPC:~ # systemctl status bluetooth.service
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
start condition failed at Tue 2015-03-31 01:02:59 UTC; 4s ago
ConditionPathExists=/storage/.cache/services/bluez.conf was not met
(2015-03-31, 03:05)CharlieMopps Wrote: ConditionPathExists=/storage/.cache/services/bluez.conf was not met

your bluez.conf is missing.
besides bluez, the sixad driver works much better then the normal kernel PS3 driver. Probably not something for OE though.
Since at least 3.16, the kernel drivers are fine IMO, the lights get allocated correctly and the rumble feature works fine in the few things I've tested it on. In combination with an up to date bluez or patched ubuntu bluez it also doesn't take over the bluetooth adapter unlike sixad meaning you can keep using a bluetooth keyboard or additional none sixaxis pads such as the wiiu pro controller.
(2015-03-31, 09:08)a1rwolf Wrote:
(2015-03-31, 03:05)CharlieMopps Wrote: ConditionPathExists=/storage/.cache/services/bluez.conf was not met

your bluez.conf is missing.

yea, I figured that bit out. How to I get it fixed though?
The file system is read-only Rolleyes
There is no apt-get Rolleyes
I can't update OpenElec through the update folder without losing the "Games" section which is the whole point of this.

I'm a tad lost.
I'm not an openelec expert. But storage should not be read only...
(2015-03-31, 15:05)a1rwolf Wrote: I'm not an openelec expert. But storage should not be read only...

Every command I run that would write to file returns "Filesystem read only" and then it goes on to say some nonsense about security... and that's based on a default install of the latest version from this very forum. I can connect via SMB and save files to the shared folders, but that's it. Have I tried every possible command? Obviously not, there's likely some way to change it or something. But my point was, none of the commands that I'd normally use to resolve this issue work... any guide I find to adress any error I'm getting always starts with apt-get or some other command that doesn't work here...
Maybe you should ask your question in the openElec forum. This problem is not related to retroplayer.
(2015-04-01, 08:56)Dippo Wrote: Maybe you should ask your question in the openElec forum. This problem is not related to retroplayer.

Because I know of to fix it in OpenElec. Update... and it fixes it. But when I do that it strips retroplayer (games) from the XBMC menu.
What I need to know how to do is update to the latest version of OpenElec AND keep retroplayer.
If you are not able to do your own OpenELEC build with a custom kodi version, you will need to wait for some inofficial openelec builds.
(2015-04-01, 20:25)a1rwolf Wrote: If you are not able to do your own OpenELEC build with a custom kodi version, you will need to wait for some inofficial openelec builds.

Which brings us full circle back to: Why am I not allowed to do apt-get, etc... or write to the file system using the test builds found here?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=173361

I could, easily, fix this problem if I had standard tools available. I don't normally build my own distros, and didn't even know what OpenElec was until a week or two ago. My Media PC is a monster so the benefits that OpenElec seems to offer regarding it's small footprint are kind of lost on me.

I just want a "Games" section in my much loved XBMC client, and Rom Collection Browser (or whatever it's called) is a nightmare to setup. RetroPlayer installed emulators for me and has a much more intelligent Rom finder... So it seemed great, until I ran into this controller problem.

I just want to sit on the couch with my 7yr old and play Rampage/Golden Axe/Gauntlet. I hear there is a Kodi version coming out soon? I hope so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to connect Bluetooth adaptor/Ps3 controllers?0