"Kodi has stopped working'....huh?
It has NEVER worked.
I have used XBMC for a couple years, with few problems. I did the update to Kodi and when I try to launch it, I get a tiny window stating "Kodi has stopped working"....windows is looking etc etc. It has never launched. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, several times, booted and rebooted, to no avail, same results.
I've skimmed over several pages on the forum and searched for 'stopped working', no luck.
Not being a 'puter whiz, I haven't a clue.
Could someone offer a suggestion?

Thanks all!

Deb
Is it a clean installation or is there any settings or old data that could result in this problem? Try a clean installation(dont forget backup). There should also be a exception log that you could provide, just saying that a application carche on startup is way to vaguely.
I tried both ways, as an update to xbmc and wiping everything out and starting fresh.
I have no idea what an exception log is, sorry. I did make sure it was 'allowed' by the firewall, just in case.
It just seems like there is something 'missing'....that there is something it needs to run, that I don't have. That doesn't make sense, I'm sure, but that's the impression I get.
I hate to bump this up, but I really need some help. I've done everything I've read to do, still nothing. My XBMC worked great for years, now I'm stuck. I have no pics or videos to worry about, it was only used for the tv addons. Which is why I had no problem doing a clean download, but it still won't work.

Please, any suggestions for this not quite but almost computer illiterate girl? Smile I appreciate any help.
Quote:it was only used for the tv addons

This is probably your culprit, downloading shifty addons and repositories essentially break installs. Which you found out the hard way. So you have a couple of options 1) if you don't care about anything you previously had, click the Start menu, and paste in %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata and delete everything (folders and files) that you see there. Re-download the Kodi installer, and install it again. 2) good luck.
Here is a question, Is kodi getting far enough in to create a log? Before you delete the above, goto the userdata folder and see if there is a kodi.log file. If there paste it to pastebin.com and post the link here.

If no log, do the above. Be sure the entire kodi directory is deleted. As said above there are specific addons that will definitely wipe out kodi.
The fact that I had no issues until I updated, shocked me. I have used the same addons for years, nothing new.

I have no idea if it is getting far enough to create a log, it has never worked since the update. I even wiped it out and reloaded xbmc to see if it would go back to the original program, it wouldn't work either, says the same thing, 'has stopped working'.

Deleting everything is not a problem, like I said, I have no videos, pics, etc that are important, I have none, period. It was only used for tv.

I'll see what I can do about finding a log file, if there is one.

Thanks ya'll, I'll let you know what I come up with. Smile
OK, there is no kodi.log, but there is %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata. There are several files in there, what do I need to do? Just delete them all or copy and post somewhere for you to see?

I'm just excited I found something. LOL As I said, I'm no 'puter whiz! Wink

Oh and in case anyone needs to know, I am using Win7 Home Prem. Laptop is 2 yrs old.
to delete the present install, as if you never had Kodi or XBMC

delete or rename these folders

!) C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi and while your at it, do the same for C:\Program Files (x86)XBMC

2 C:\Users\YOUR_COMPUTER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi and while your at it do the same for C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

3) Install Kodi 4.2 stable, it should come up if you have the hardware.
OK, I think I got it all. Reboot the laptop before installing again?

And what about the NaviX zip file I had with the XBMC, should I delete that too?

I really appreciate everyone walking me thru it. Smile
Firstly uninstall Kodi and follow what others have said above.

Then:

1) Download Kodi from here: http://kodi.tv/download/
2) Don't install crap add-ons to 'improve' the software, they often cause problems.
3) See if the issue still exists.

This thread is in a very grey area with regards to the forum rules.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
can't tell you. That add on is a banned add on do to being able to access illegal content and no one on this forum will support it or help you install it. Also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't what was causing your problems once you updated, Many of the questionable add ons like that one don't keep up with Kodi updates to API and such and cause issues when Kodi is updated.
(2015-04-12, 05:45)Traker1001 Wrote: can't tell you. That add on is a banned add on do to being able to access illegal content and no one on this forum will support it or help you install it. Also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't what was causing your problems once you updated, Many of the questionable add ons like that one don't keep up with Kodi updates to API and such and cause issues when Kodi is updated.

Which API? The of what you said is correct.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
ahhhhh! ok, I understand.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If I can't get it to work, I'll let you know. Thanks to everyone that pitched in!

Deb
Still nothing. Sad I deleted that other thing too. I also tried rebooting my laptop to see if it made a difference, nope. I still get the same response - 'Kodi has stopped working'. I'm so disappointed. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Kodi has stopped working'....huh?0