[MUSIC] "Various Artists" no longer displays under artists
Hi Guys

I have searched and found a few mentions of this but no clear / definitive explanation / rationale for the following change in behavior.

For a long time XBMC / KODI listed an entry for "Various Artists" along with all the other artists

Coupled with turning off the option to display artists that contribute to a compilation album, this provided a logical and intuitive way to catalog and locate compilation albums without "cluttering up" the main artist list.

I'm not sure exactly when the change occurred (I'm moving from Gotham to Helix), but now if you turn off the option to display artists that contribute to a compilation album... then you must go back to the library root and select compilations to view the various artists albums.

ie the artist "Various Artists" no longer displays in the main artist listing.

Is there a reason this functionality had to change? To me it seems like there is no upside to the change, for the sake of one additional entry in the artists list it seems much more intuitive and user friendly than having to navigate back to the start of the library.... particularly for those less familiar with library functionality.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something to regain the traditional behavior, but if I am not.... is it possible to request it changed back?

Thanks for all the great work on an amazing piece of software

cheers

Warwick
I once got various artists to appear on one of my test installs, but don't know how I did it. But I think you are correct, by design it doesn't show up as an artist.

scott s.
Started to look into the "various artist" behaviour with a view to creating a PR.

The change in behaviour was discussed here Gotham 13.2 b2 - not showing Album Artist (from Compilations) in Artist list. Restoring has been requested here Feature Request - "Various Artists" returned to artists list.

Working back through the code in Git the idea of preventing the display of "Various artists" in the Artists view seems to predate Gotham, but perhaps was initialy implemented unsuccessfuly. Not sure, still digging.

I can't find any discussion of why "Various artists" should be precluded from the Artists list. It also seems inconsistent since it does appear when listing the artists for a specific genre.

Will anyone be that upset if "Various artists" is allowed to appear in the artists list?
I don't think too many users will notice the difference. Most users probably never use the music section.

I'd welcome the change very much however.
(2015-08-30, 15:45)DarkHelmet Wrote: I don't think too many users will notice the difference. Most users probably never use the music section.

I'd welcome the change very much however.

PR raised 7938 (PR), we will see what happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MUSIC] "Various Artists" no longer displays under artists0