• 394(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
i have finished my testing of trying to speed up kodi wile dropping in/out of playback. its still the same so no harm done.

i will post up the solution to kodi defaulting to a window on the desktop sometime soon. its not just 1 or 2 settings that have to be changed so the write-up will take me a while.
Bibio, fyi:

UHD = 2160p
FHD = 1080p
HD  = 720p
SD  = 540p, etc.

That code you put up earlier may want to reflect these differently.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-31, 00:22)mkohman Wrote: Guys can some one please help me how to setup a delay for around 15 seconds because it takes that long for the jvc to adjust and actually show the picture...by then I've missed 15 to 20 secs of the movie..thanks

Settings/display/general/delay after change of refresh rate.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-31, 00:32)brazen1 Wrote: Bibio, fyi:

UHD = 2160p
FHD = 1080p
HD  = 720p
SD  = 540p, etc.

That code you put up earlier may want to reflect these differently.
i see what your getting at but in reality it makes no odds whats in there, yes it would more than likely be easier for people to read.

you already know this so its for other people reading,
it does not matter what you put in the "??" part. the boolean is "do this" as long as you create each profile with the same reference then all is fine. let me explain. if (srcWidth = 1080) "HD" would look at the name next to the folder in the profile group which is HD.

the boolean is saying, if the screen width is equal to 1080 then use HD profile. it could just as well be written, if (srcWidth = 1080) "make_it_happen1" as long as the profile has make_it_happen1 written next to it.
True, but you wouldn't ask someone to hand you that apple when you're pointing at an orange would you?

(2018-03-31, 01:00)brazen1 Wrote: True, but you wouldn't ask someone to hand you that apple when you're pointing at an orange would you?
 fyi, i can read and alter code to my desire but i cant write fresh code, i'm pants at it and i know i am. on the other hand at one point i could build, install and network 1000's of computers together but just dont ask me to write code... lol
its a long time since i passed my degree and my duties are different now so i dont keep up with things. the old grey matter has pushed most of it out.. lol
@Warner360, So as you have advised previously I have created 2 profiles within MadVR. A profile for 2160p for chroma upscaling (NGU Sharp low) and the other profile for 1080p movies to upscale to 4K image upscalling (NGU Sharp Medium). I have taken a picture of each profile and I wanted to make sure things look OK .. I can see with the 1080p it is up-scaling to 4K however I am not sure if it is the JVC upscaling or MadVR. The eshift option in the JVC meny shows video 2K but the on or off option is greyed out.. Again with 4K movies it shows as 4K in the JVC MPC menu and the on or off option is greyed out.. I just want to make sure that the JVC is not upscalling and that it's actually MadVR doing the work.. Please see screen shots below to help understand as the settings can be seen... 

Apologies if this is obvious but I am new to all this and still trying to get my head around the whole thing.. Thanks in advance for all your help and sorry for so many questions.. Thanks Image

Also the rendering timing seems fine but I don't know why it says 1 frame drop every 4 mins Huh

1080p (BluRay) video being up scaled to 4K:

4K Movie Playback (Chroma Upscale, NGU Sharp Low)
(2018-03-30, 02:51)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-03-29, 20:41)mclingo Wrote: Hi, i've setup MADVR to trigger two different profiles based on HDR vs NON HDR content. 

If (HDR) "HDR"

If (not HDR) "SDR"

These simply turn off "use DIRECT3D11" for none HDR stuff.

It works fine with MPC-HC but doesnt work with KODI DS, the movie plays in SDR and doesnt trigger HDR mode on my TV, any ideas why it doesnt work with DS?

I didn’t think that was possible. madVR runs on top of DSPlayer and all madVR features work.

Did you confirm which profile is being selected?

Can you use the source resolution instead? 
 Hi, the reason I am doing this as you know is there is a bug with RX cards where the wrong colour gamut is output when using 23p for SDR materiel. I cant use source resolution as this effects all resolutions so it would end up turning it off for 4k HDR stuff as well as SDR 4k stuff. I cant understand why it works fine with MPC-HC but not with KODI DS, its setup correctly obviously as it wouldn't work in MPC-HC.

It must be an issue with KODI DS, are we saying that KODI DS cant use MADVR profiles?, I dont think that can be the case, it could be however that it cant use profiles when there is already a separate switch for DIRECT3D11 built into KODI DS which there is, i've tried turning this on, off etc, no joy.

A few of us have expressed a preference to have all separate MADVR settings completely removed from DS for future releases and just have DS deal with the LIVE MADVR database, I think that would solve this but there are no future releases on the horizon so i'm having manually switch this on when I want to play HDR stuff or play that outside of KODI DS.
Is anyone else having trouble playing 4K remuxes using DSPlayer?

It starts off fine, but then 10 seconds later it starts dropping a crazy amount of frames.

Anyone managed to find a workaround?
(2018-03-31, 15:44)mclingo Wrote:
(2018-03-30, 02:51)Warner306 Wrote:  Hi, the reason I am doing this as you know is there is a bug with RX cards where the wrong colour gamut is output when using 23p for SDR materiel. I cant use source resolution as this effects all resolutions so it would end up turning it off for 4k HDR stuff as well as SDR 4k stuff. I cant understand why it works fine with MPC-HC but not with KODI DS, its setup correctly obviously as it wouldn't work in MPC-HC.

It must be an issue with KODI DS, are we saying that KODI DS cant use MADVR profiles?, I dont think that can be the case, it could be however that it cant use profiles when there is already a separate switch for DIRECT3D11 built into KODI DS which there is, i've tried turning this on, off etc, no joy.

A few of us have expressed a preference to have all separate MADVR settings completely removed from DS for future releases and just have DS deal with the LIVE MADVR database, I think that would solve this but there are no future releases on the horizon so i'm having manually switch this on when I want to play HDR stuff or play that outside of KODI DS.  
 You have discovered the problem. It is the D3D11 switch in DSPlayer. madVR profiles work fine, otherwise.

I don't know what to recommend? You could set up an external player like MPC-HC for your SDR 4K files. It depends on how many of them there are and whether they are named appropriately.

I too would like to see madVR controls removed from DSPlayer, but this was aracnoz's design decision and he can't be reached. So...
(2018-03-31, 17:16)Eddie Strike Wrote: Is anyone else having trouble playing 4K remuxes using DSPlayer?

It starts off fine, but then 10 seconds later it starts dropping a crazy amount of frames.

Other users are playing these files without issue. I suspect your madVR settings are to blame. You shouldn't use Error Diffusion dithering with these files and will have to lower the setting for chroma upscaling. Are all of your queues full? Is the render time lower than 35-37 ms? Did you set up HDR passthrough correctly? A picture of your OSD (Cntrl + J) during playback may help.
(2018-03-31, 17:16)Eddie Strike Wrote: Is anyone else having trouble playing 4K remuxes using DSPlayer?

Are these files using hevc/x265/h265?   If so, are you using CPU to decode them?
@mkohman 

A few things to discuss...

First, you can apply a delay to refresh rate switching, if you let Kodi handle this task. To do this, turn off display mode switching in madVR or delete all of the display modes you entered. Return to Kodi, enable adjust refresh rate and apply the desired delay. Now Kodi handles the refresh rate switching. It doesn't matter if Kodi or madVR handles this task. In your case, it would be better to have Kodi handle this. Adding this option to madVR is on madshi's "To do" list.

As for your scaling question; everything looks fine. Read the "scale" line in the madVR OSD when playing 1080p files. This indicates what madVR is doing with the pixels. It says 0,0,1920,1080 -> 0,0,3840,2160. That is upscaling. I don't know how your projector handles this, if it is true 4K or not. But madVR is sending 2160p to the display. Given your rendering time of 26ms, you may even be able to increase your value of chroma upscaling to super-xbr or NGU low. I don't know about that, though.

Delete ShowRenderSteps in the madVR folder. This is only for debugging. It will slow down madVR performance slightly.

And the last issue is not easy to understand. All HTPC's have an issue with syncing the audio and video clocks during playback. This causes the video renderer to drop or repeat a frame every few minutes to resyncronize the clocks. These shouldn't be noticable. But, if they bother you, you can create custom refresh rates in madVR to improve the timing of the video clock in relation to the audio clock.

This may blow your mind with how technical it is, but the tutorial is here if you want to attempt to create your own custom mode: http://madvr.com/crt/CustomResTutorial.html.
(2018-03-31, 18:13)Warner306 Wrote:  Other users are playing these files without issue. I suspect your madVR settings are to blame. You shouldn't use Error Diffusion dithering with these files and will have to lower the setting for chroma upscaling. Are all of your queues full? Is the render time lower than 35-37 ms? Did you set up HDR passthrough correctly? A picture of your OSD (Cntrl + J) during playback may help. 

Here is screenshot of my Ctrl + J: https://imgur.com/a/rDIRQ

My decoder queue drops to empty and starts dropping the frames, then shoots back up, and then back down again. These files play fine in MPC-HC, only in DSPlayer does this happen.

Could XySubFilter be causing the problems? It seems to be running with DSP but not with MPC-HC.

(2018-03-31, 18:21)spencerjford Wrote:  Are these files using hevc/x265/h265?   If so, are you using CPU to decode them? 
 Yes, I am trying to CPU decode them. Is there something in DSPlayer I should change to facilitate this?
(2018-03-31, 18:34)Eddie Strike Wrote:
(2018-03-31, 18:13)Warner306 Wrote:  
Here is screenshot of my Ctrl + J: https://imgur.com/a/rDIRQ

My decoder queue drops to empty and starts dropping the frames, then shoots back up, and then back down again. These files play fine in MPC-HC, only in DSPlayer does this happen.

Could XySubFilter be causing the problems? It seems to be running with DSP but not with MPC-HC.

(2018-03-31, 18:21)spencerjford Wrote:  Are these files using hevc/x265/h265?   If so, are you using CPU to decode them? 
 Yes, I am trying to CPU decode them. Is there something in DSPlayer I should change to facilitate this?     
 It's simple; your decoder is too slow. There is no way you can decode a 4K remux by CPU. Even the fastest CPU will stumble. I don't believe you that MPC-HC is fine.

You need a GPU with a 10-bit HEVC decoder. End of story, really.

Read this guide I put together on how to build a 4K HTPC for madVR: Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR.
  • 394(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47