• 404(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-04-06, 06:40)mkohman Wrote: @Warner306 I was wondering would their be any point in sending my RX560 4GB back and replace it for a RX580 4GB? I mean what benefit will I get? Will the 580 be much better in performance or is it pretty much an overkill for what I use it for (movie playback only).
 personally i would get things playing smooth without glitches with the card you have then spend the money on getting an ISF calibration done to the system. after that then there would be no more fiddling.

another thing you might want to consider is upgrading your motherboard.
(2018-04-06, 15:40)Bibio Wrote:
(2018-04-04, 19:12)Warner306 Wrote:  
if i'm understanding correctly then what you are saying is that the GPU will apply any settings in its "config utility" after madvr for the final output to the display device.

madVR -> GPU settings -> GPU output -> display device. 
 Yes, that is correct.
As for the RX 560 vs. RX 580, you would probably be able to use NGU high for all profiles. I don't know if I can say that's worth it, though. The quality improvement would be small and the cost of the card would be large. So...it's up to you.
(2018-04-06, 16:49)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-04-04, 19:12)Warner306 Wrote:  
if i'm understanding correctly then what you are saying is that the GPU will apply any settings in its "config utility" after madvr for the final output to the display device.

madVR -> GPU settings -> GPU output -> display device.  
 Yes, that is correct. 
can you hear the penny drop.... lol

if i'm also correct then madvr osd is only reporting what madvr is doing and not what the gpu is outputting via its settings, which is invisible to the user unless the display device has its own "rendering osd".

this might want an explanation in your guide?
(2018-04-06, 15:59)Bibio Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 06:40)mkohman Wrote: @Warner306 I was wondering would their be any point in sending my RX560 4GB back and replace it for a RX580 4GB? I mean what benefit will I get? Will the 580 be much better in performance or is it pretty much an overkill for what I use it for (movie playback only).
 personally i would get things playing smooth without glitches with the card you have then spend the money on getting an ISF calibration done to the system. after that then there would be no more fiddling.

That is solid advice thank you.. If I upgrade my motherboard I would need a new cpu and ram aswell.. lets see thanks anyway Smile Do you reccomend a motherboard and a cpu that will be sufficient? I can go atx as I am thinking of changing my case to silverstone gd09b thanks

Also what benefit will I gain from upgrading my motherboard as I only with movies with this HTPC? Thanks
@aracnoz
Are you still maintaining Kodi DSPlayer?
Could you add AssFilterMod as XySubFilters alternative in your next setup?
(2018-04-06, 18:32)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 15:59)Bibio Wrote:

That is solid advice thank you.. If I upgrade my motherboard I would need a new cpu and ram aswell.. lets see thanks anyway Smile Do you reccomend a motherboard and a cpu that will be sufficient? I can go atx as I am thinking of changing my case to silverstone gd09b thanks

Also what benefit will I gain from upgrading my motherboard as I only with movies with this HTPC? Thanks 
 a new MB will give you faster bus speeds, newer chipsets and if the correct one is obtained a nice M.2 pcie HDD for your OS/programs.
depending on your MB choice then you can keep your CPU and memory.
i would not be spending a wad of cash on a mid/high end card if the MB GPU socket was older spec, thats like sticking a sports car engine in a family saloon. yes it will work but the brakes and suspension aren't up to the task.
as computing components advance so do OS and programs to take advantage of it.

having said the above, if things are running fine and dandy then keep what you have till you really need to upgrade.
its true what others have said, the returns v's outlay in PQ have diminishing returns. ok so you might be able to run madvr almost flat out with a high end system. but in reality your not going to notice that much difference in PQ with using 1080p and 4k content.
all you are trying to do is better the PQ of "hardware players" and add ease of playback.
So guys, I have did as @Warner360 advised me and selected the calibrated mode in madVR and also selected the BT2020, I will be honest with you I can not really see much difference at all if any.. 

4K HDR SETTINGS:

THIS IS 1080p BLURAY UPSCALED to 4K with madVR:

Can you please asses these images above and tell me if everything seems ok? Thank you Smile
Those are better looking pictures than the last ones you posted.

It looks fine. I was pretty sure your display was already doing some form of color management because you weren't complaining about the colors being off. Setting this in madVR is likely achieving the same thing. I would just leave it like that. Your projector is calibrated to BT.2020 in SDR mode, so you should output in BT.2020 from madVR, if possible. If outputting in BT.709 from madVR was achieving the same result, then your projector was converting the input. So no loss, no gain.

I would just leave everything as is if you are getting proper picture quality and functionality. You'll drive yourself mad if you keep tweaking things.

I might have steered you wrong on setting 10-bits in the GPU control panel. madshi now says fullscreen exclusive mode should be enabled to get 10-bit output from the GPU in HDR passthrough mode. You seem to be getting 10-bits in HDR mode, already, so I don't know if this is true. Do you notice any banding in HDR titles? This is the bug that others are reporting when not using fullscreen exclusive mode with HDR passthrough - banding. Because of the problems you are reporting with fullscreen exclusive mode, it might be best to set the GPU to 8-bits. I am still waiting confirmation from madshi on the best settings for HDR passthrough for an AMD card. For now, leave it at 10-bits and stop fiddling with your computer.
(2018-04-07, 06:17)Warner306 Wrote: Those are better looking pictures than the last ones you posted.

It looks fine. I was pretty sure your display was already doing some form of color management because you weren't complaining about the colors being off. Setting this in madVR is likely achieving the same thing. I would just leave it like that. Your projector is calibrated to BT.2020 in SDR mode, so you should output in BT.2020 from madVR, if possible. If outputting in BT.709 from madVR was achieving the same result, then your projector was converting the input. So no loss, no gain.

I would just leave everything as is if you are getting proper picture quality and functionality. You'll drive yourself mad if you keep tweaking things.

I might have steered you wrong on setting 10-bits in the GPU control panel. madshi now says fullscreen exclusive mode should be enabled to get 10-bit output from the GPU in HDR passthrough mode. You seem to be getting 10-bits in HDR mode, already, so I don't know if this is true. Do you notice any banding in HDR titles? This is the bug that others are reporting when not using fullscreen exclusive mode with HDR passthrough - banding. Because of the problems you are reporting with fullscreen exclusive mode, it might be best to set the GPU to 8-bits. I am still waiting confirmation from madshi on the best settings for HDR passthrough for an AMD card. For now, leave it at 10-bits and stop fiddling with your computer.
Thank you for your help @Warner360 I do not get any banding that I can see and if I change to 12 bit it will also show 12bit on the projectors info panel. My projector and AMD GPU can both do 8, 10 and 12bit. I tried both 10 and 12 bit and don't notice any difference..

Here's what I am wondering.. My GPU is RGB 4:4:4 10 bit, madVR ouput is set to 0-255, my projector (JVC x5900) is showing RGB.. Where is the conversion to YcBcR happening? I mean isn't movies supposed to be 4.2.0? I am confused at this to be honest with you guys.. If someone can please try to break it down to me because my projector is showing RGB and I am not sure if this is correct? The colours look fine but I don't want to be making any unnecessary conversions etc.. Thank you Smile
(2018-04-07, 16:30)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-04-07, 06:17)Warner306 Wrote:  
Thank you for your help @Warner360 I do not get any banding that I can see and if I change to 12 bit it will also show 12bit on the projectors info panel. My projector and AMD GPU can both do 8, 10 and 12bit. I tried both 10 and 12 bit and don't notice any difference..

Here's what I am wondering.. My GPU is RGB 4:4:4 10 bit, madVR ouput is set to 0-255, my projector (JVC x5900) is showing RGB.. Where is the conversion to YcBcR happening? I mean isn't movies supposed to be 4.2.0? I am confused at this to be honest with you guys.. If someone can please try to break it down to me because my projector is showing RGB and I am not sure if this is correct? The colours look fine but I don't want to be making any unnecessary conversions etc.. Thank you Smile 
madVR converts from YCbCr to RGB. This is necessary because it is a PC application. It is impossible to know what the display is doing sometimes; especially if it is 4:4:4. It may convert to YCbCr 4:4:4 and then to RGB. Or it may just take the RGB input and display it as is. If the display is 4:2:2, it takes the RGB input, converts it to YCbCr, upscales the chroma and then displays it as RGB. The process looks like this:

(Source) Y'CbCr 4:2:0 -> (madVR) Y'CbCr 4:4:4 to RGB -> (GPU) RGB or Y'CbCr -> (Display) Y'CbCr 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 or RGB to Y'CbCr 4:4:4/RGB -> (Display Output) RGB

The conversion from YCbCr to RGB should be lossless but can lead to small differences in color.
(2018-04-06, 17:28)Bibio Wrote:
(2018-04-06, 16:49)Warner306 Wrote:
can you hear the penny drop.... lol

if i'm also correct then madvr osd is only reporting what madvr is doing and not what the gpu is outputting via its settings, which is invisible to the user unless the display device has its own "rendering osd".

this might want an explanation in your guide?  
 This explanation is provided after bit depths. I not sure if I need to say anything more. The guide already has some confusing, poorly-written language already. I rewrote two sections recently but others could be improved.

Configuring a GPU for 4K UHD and Windows 10: If possible, keep your Windows desktop in RGB Full. madVR works in RGB Full. To do this, I recommend the following:
  • Set the desktop to 3840 x 2160 with RGB Full at 8 bpc at 60Hz;
  • Ensure frame rate matching is activated in the video player or madVR;
  • Play a video with a different frame rate (e.g. 23.976Hz);
  • Return to the GPU control panel while the video is playing and change the bit depth to 10-bit/12-bit to match the output bit depth in madVR.

Now your desktop will remain at 8-bits while video playback will be matched to 10-bits. Do this bit depth matching for each frame rate. This will keep everything at RGB Full and eliminate unnecessary range conversions from madVR to the GPU, which is always the preferred outcome. If you are using RGB Limited instead, adjust accordingly.
Thanks you so much.. Makes sense.. My display can do RGB 444 so I guess its taking the conversion from madVR directly hence why the information panel is displaying as RGB 10bit [emoji106]
(2018-04-06, 18:46)lanzorg Wrote: @aracnoz
Are you still maintaining Kodi DSPlayer?
Could you add AssFilterMod as XySubFilters alternative in your next setup?

What is the benefit of AssFilterMod, besides it’s great name?
If it's directshow filter, I bet u can just add it urself through the xml's.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
  • 404(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47