• 419(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
How to Configure a Display and GPU for a HTPC

The following instructions use Nvidia and AMD as the example hardware but should transfer directly to Intel.

Configuring Your Display

Setting correct video levels is the main concern on the display side. PC's operate in RGB 0-255, while most video content is YCbCr 16-235, and 16-235 is what most displays will be expecting. The majority will be configuring their display to accept PC levels, but it is possible to send video levels depending on how you configure madVR and the GPU.

The safest option is to set the display’s video levels or color space to Auto. This allows the display to determine how to best handle the source input with the correct internal color conversion matrix. If you need to force a specific output mode, each display manufacturer describes this setting differently as shown below.

Typical PC Configuration – Most common and recommended

(madVR) PC levels (0-255) -> (GPU) Full Range RGB 0-255 -> (Display) Output as RGB 0-255

The correct setting is Full Range:
  • LG: Black Level - High
  • Samsung: HDMI Black Level - Normal
  • Sony: HDMI video range - Full
  • Vizio: Color Space - RGB
  • Panasonic: Black Level - Full
  • TCL: Autodetect/Forced PC Mode - Set HDMI mode to HDMI 2.0
  • JVC: Input Level - Enhanced
  • Epson: HDMI Video Range - Expanded
  • Optoma: Color Space - RGB(0-255)
  • BenQ: HDMI Format - PC Signal
  • Pioneer: Video - RGB0-255 

Alternative Configuration – For displays not able to handle full range signals

(madVR) TV levels (16-235) -> (media front-end) Use limited color range (16-235) -> (GPU) Full Range RGB 0-255 -> (Display) Output as RGB 16-235

The correct setting is Limited Range:
  • LG: Black Level - Low
  • Samsung: HDMI Black Level - Low
  • Sony: HDMI video range - Limited
  • Vizio: Color Space - YCbCr
  • Panasonic: Black Level - Normal
  • TCL: Autodetect/Forced PC Mode - Set HDMI mode to HDMI 2.0
  • JVC: Input Level - Standard
  • Epson: HDMI Video Range - Normal
  • Optoma: Color Space - RGB(16-235)
  • BenQ: HDMI Format - Video Signal
  • Pioneer: Video - RGB16-235

Last Configuration – Correct desktop with a display not able to handle full range signals

(madVR) PC levels (0-255) -> (GPU) Limited Range RGB 16-235 -> (Display) Output as RGB 16-235

The last option is not recommended because the range is converted by the GPU. For those choosing this path, the display should be configured the same as above: Limited Range.

Note: Sending RGB (full or limited) to the display may not work well in some special circumstances. For example, some displays have problems receiving RGB inputs with HDR metadata (like some JVC projectors) and must operate in YCbCr instead of RGB. If you are getting strange tints to the image, this could be you.

A warning should also be made about using PC or game mode. Such a setting is often necessary for 4:4:4 output, but typically comes with limitations for video playback. This can include an inability to switch refresh rates and poor color representation due to differences in HDR output or lower color volume. The LG OLED is an example of a display with inferior color volume in PC mode compared to other video modes.

After configuring the display, it is a good idea to test for black and white clipping with test patterns like these ones (under Basic Settings) and these two clips. This is one of the most important steps for having a correct grayscale. Not all displays will behave the same with the same configuration depending on how it interprets and converts the input signal.

Configuring Your GPU – Refresh Rate, Color Format and Bit Depth

The GPU color settings can be a bit confusing. The correct color format for a PC is almost always RGB. All PC video processing is done in RGB, and you don't want to destroy the work done by madVR by converting from RGB to YCbCr before output.

For the best operating system responsiveness, the desktop refresh rate should be set to 60 Hz, while allowing the media player to change to other refresh rates when necessary.

And the desktop resolution should always match the native resolution of your display (1920 x 1080p or 3840 x 2160p) to ensure content is being upscaled in good quality by madVR to the native resolution of the display. 

Discussion from madshi on RGB vs. YCbCr

HDR and WCG: This checkbox is not found in the GPU control panel but affects the desktop. Found under Windows Settings -> System -> Display, HDR and WCG should be disabled for all HDR and SDR playback. madVR does not rely on Windows OS HDR and will automatically switch between SDR and HDR when necessary using private APIs provided by Nvidia & AMD. Intel users will have to toggle HDR and WCG before playing HDR content and turn it off when returning to SDR. Leaving this enabled will output all video in an HDR format.

Desktop color depth: Not relevant to video playback, so simply set it to Highest (32-bit).

1920 x 1080p - 60 Hz:  8-bit-10-bit 

Output color depth (8-bit): 8 bpc (Nvidia/AMD); N/A - Auto (Intel)

Output color format: RGB 

Output dynamic range: Full or Limited

OR

Output color depth (10-bit):  10 bpc (AMD); 12 bpc (Nvidia); N/A - Auto (Intel)

3840 x 2160p - 60 Hz:  8-bit

Output color depth: 8 bpc (Nvidia/AMD); N/A - Auto (Intel)

3840 x 2160p - 60 Hz:  10-bit 

Configuration here is a little tricky because of the bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0.

We will separate configuration into two cases: 4K 10-bit, 60 Hz, and the typical video playback refresh rates: 30 Hz, 29 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz and 23 Hz. Only these lower refresh rates support 4K 10-bit, RGB Full.

4K 10-bit - 60 Hz

Output color depth: 8 bpc (Nvidia/AMD); N/A - Auto (Intel)

4K 10-bit - 30 Hz, 29 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz, 23 Hz

Switch to each resolution individually: 30 Hz, 29 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz and 23 Hz, apply the changes below, and click apply. This can also be done during video playback. You can confirm 10-bit/12-bit output by visiting the GPU control panel during playback or by using the madVR OSD (as explained below).

Note: Nvidia defaults to the highest bit depth supported by your display. This is usually 12 bpc. You likely won't see an option for 10-bit, so 12 bpc is the correct choice for Nvidia GPUs. 

30 Hz, 29 Hz, 25 Hz, 24 Hz, 23 Hz

Output color depth:  10 bpc (AMD); 12 bpc (Nvidia); N/A - Auto (Intel)

Summary - 4K 10-bit: 4K 60 Hz - 8-bit RGB; 4K 30 Hz and lower - 10-bit/12-bit RGB

Note: The switch from 60 Hz 8-bit RGB to 23.976 Hz 12-bit RGB is known to be unreliable with most recent Nvidia driver versions and often the saved settings won't survive a reboot of the operating system.

3840 x 2160p - 30 Hz:  10-bit (For those having trouble switching from 8-bit @ 60 Hz to 10/12-bit @ 24 Hz)

Output color depth:  10 bpc (AMD); 12 bpc (Nvidia); N/A - Auto (Intel)

Note: Custom resolutions can also interfere with 10-bit output with Nvidia GPUs. With Nvidia, you must set your desktop to YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit at 60 Hz to switch to a 12-bit custom resolution (not recommended). If your desktop is set to 8-bits, the GPU will stay at 8-bits when selecting a custom resolution, even if it was created and saved at 12-bits. The best bet for a working 12-bit custom resolution that will survive a reboot is to input the values calculated by madVR into CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and create a custom resolution with CRU. CRU uses operating system-wide custom resolutions that bypass the Nvidia API.

Confirming Output Bit Depth and Color Space (Nvidia Only)

The madVR OSD (Ctrl + J) can be used to confirm the output bit depth, color space and dynamic range. These stats will tell you if the GPU is correctly switching from 8-bit RGB to 10/12-bit RGB at playback start. Currently, reporting is limited to the Nvidia API.

AMD – Display Settings

AMD Radeon Settings

Uncheck GPU Scaling to disable image scaling performed by the GPU. Virtual Super Resolution post-processing should also be unchecked.

AMD – Video Settings

AMD Radeon Settings

Set the video profile to Default.

Video profiles are relevant when DXVA2 (GPU driver-based) video rendering is used. These profiles enable combinations of video shaders designed for contrast enhancement, noise reduction, deinterlacing, edge enhancement, mosquito noise reduction and motion compensation processing. These shaders can be disabled by leaving the video profile at Default.

AMD Video Profiles

Nvidia – Desktop Color Settings

NVIDIA Control Panel

Set the desktop color settings to be controlled by the media player/media software.

Nvidia – Video Color Settings

NVIDIA Control Panel

Set the video color settings to be controlled by the media player.

Nvidia – Video Image Settings

NVIDIA Control Panel

Disable all image enhancements. This type of post-processing will be handled by the media player.

Nvidia – Power management mode

NVIDIA Control Panel

Power management mode is only relevant to Nvidia users. Found under Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings, the lone setting known to cause issues is Prefer maximum performance that may actually reduce performance. Adaptive is the preferred setting for general video playback.

Nvidia’s Power Management Explained

That's it! Final steps may include configuring 3D output and running through the Configure Speakers wizard from the GPU control panel or the Windows Sounds settings panel.
Hello everyone,

I need help with Kodi and DSP + MadVR (latest version); 1st time I install it (32 bit told is stable) seems to work fine and before I did some calibration I close the MadVR Settings OSD window. Now after had read some of the advantage MadVR offers and learn how to calibrate it correctly (I Hope), I will love to find how to open again the "Original MadVR Settings" but is impossible. the only key it works is Crl+J (the one gives me some info only) but Crl + R doesn't. I uninstall and install again 3-4 times with no avail. Every time I use open tray to adjust Video it crash, believe because I didn't do anything when install kodi + MadVR 1st time (however after uninstall and re-install MadVR "Settings" never showed). Even now Kodi Player looks better then DSP/MadVR. My setup: Windows 10 Pro 64 current (Also Wind 7 Ultimate 64) AMD FX-8350, 16Gb RAM DDR3 2400, GPU R390 Nitro 8Gb, Monitors: LG 65" 3DTV (1080p) and Benq W1080st Projector. I know I have some muscle to handle my HTPC but have no idea why and how to make MadVR work and/or find/open the Settings to enter any info needed to make it work.

PS: Also any Movie with DTS will not work or have any audio but Kodi Player it does ??

Thanks in advance
(2018-05-28, 23:26)Tamuro Wrote: Windows Update 1803 is a complete mess. I messed a lot of things up for me. Movies started blacking out and back on over and over. After days of messing with every possible fix I could find online(none that worked), I decided to just rollback to the previous update and then disable Windows Updates in Services until Windows gets their shit together.
I had the same problem.  In DSPlayer the video would black out every 5 secs.   I updated madvr to latest version with nothing changed.  Then I tested outside of Kodi and it worked fine with MPC-HC but not with MPC-BE.   The only way I could get it working in DSPlayer was to disable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode in the DSPlayer settings.
(2018-05-31, 00:21)Ralph11 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I need help with Kodi and DSP + MadVR (latest version); 1st time I install it (32 bit told is stable) seems to work fine and before I did some calibration I close the MadVR Settings OSD window. Now after had read some of the advantage MadVR offers and learn how to calibrate it correctly (I Hope), I will love to find how to open again the "Original MadVR Settings" but is impossible. the only key it works is Crl+J (the one gives me some info only) but Crl + R doesn't. I uninstall and install again 3-4 times with no avail. Every time I use open tray to adjust Video it crash, believe because I didn't do anything when install kodi + MadVR 1st time (however after uninstall and re-install MadVR "Settings" never showed). Even now Kodi Player looks better then DSP/MadVR. My setup: Windows 10 Pro 64 current (Also Wind 7 Ultimate 64) AMD FX-8350, 16Gb RAM DDR3 2400, GPU R390 Nitro 8Gb, Monitors: LG 65" 3DTV (1080p) and Benq W1080st Projector. I know I have some muscle to handle my HTPC but have no idea why and how to make MadVR work and/or find/open the Settings to enter any info needed to make it work.

PS: Also any Movie with DTS will not work or have any audio but Kodi Player it does ??

Thanks in advance
 So, madVR is crashing when you select the tray icon -> edit settings? Did you try resetting madVR settings to its defaults from the installation folder? The only thing left behind after uninstalling are entries in the registry. You may have to use a registry cleaner like CCleaner to get rid of these entries before trying again. Did you try another media player such as MPC-HC? Are you using the latest Windows build (1803)?

During playback, Ctrl + S should bring up the settings panel, not Ctrl + R.
(2018-05-31, 01:03)mhaaland Wrote:
(2018-05-28, 23:26)Tamuro Wrote: Windows Update 1803 is a complete mess. I messed a lot of things up for me. Movies started blacking out and back on over and over. After days of messing with every possible fix I could find online(none that worked), I decided to just rollback to the previous update and then disable Windows Updates in Services until Windows gets their shit together.
I had the same problem.  In DSPlayer the video would black out every 5 secs.   I updated madvr to latest version with nothing changed.  Then I tested outside of Kodi and it worked fine with MPC-HC but not with MPC-BE.   The only way I could get it working in DSPlayer was to disable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode in the DSPlayer settings.  
 So, Microsoft broke fullscreen exclusive mode? I would put that on them as fullscreen exclusive mode is also used for video games. Other users have reported issues with fullscreen exclusive mode at Doom9. It could be a problem with the driver, as this has been the case for some people in the past.
Hello Warner306,

" madVR is crashing when you select the tray icon -> edit settings? ".. Yes, In a Movie I go to "EYE Logo" open tray and try to do some adjustments, but during and/or select "Save" it crash.

In regard Registry; I do have CCleaner and Revo, yesterday (before post) did uninstall Kodi and MadVR run both CCleaner and Revo, Junk + Registry (not sure for MadVR) then restart PC (however did not delete Kodi saved settings) and try again to install but the MadVR Settings OSD never showed up. Before I choose to keep Kodi/DSPlayer I try MPC (both versions) and Pot Player, remember with MPC the MadVR Settings did pup up 1st time (just didn't like how played 3D Movies, Kodi is the only Player that plays my 3D collection almost perfect-that I tried), however lately haven't try if MPC does offer the MadVR Settings OSD.

" During playback, Ctrl + S should bring up the settings panel, not Ctrl + R "...  Thanks ! Didn't knew that, will try and reply
I remember that 1st time it show MadVR Settings OSD I select to NOT show settings- I though it will be there all the time I played a Movie, but if I uninstall, clean registry should fix the problem for next install, correct ?

Did you try resetting madVR settings to its defaults from the installation folder?  Don't think so, I did reset from tray icon but not from installation folder. Do not know how, I can not find anything to "reset" from install folder (where I install MadVR) ?

Using Windows 10 Pro (1709) Hope this helps...

PS: as mentioned need help, will follow any instructions to solve my issue

Again, Thanks for the help
(2018-05-31, 19:00)Ralph11 Wrote: Hello Warner306,

" madVR is crashing when you select the tray icon -> edit settings? ".. Yes, In a Movie I go to "EYE Logo" open tray and try to do some adjustments, but during and/or select "Save" it crash.

In regard Registry; I do have CCleaner and Revo, yesterday (before post) did uninstall Kodi and MadVR run both CCleaner and Revo, Junk + Registry (not sure for MadVR) then restart PC (however did not delete Kodi saved settings) and try again to install but the MadVR Settings OSD never showed up. Before I choose to keep Kodi/DSPlayer I try MPC (both versions) and Pot Player, remember with MPC the MadVR Settings did pup up 1st time (just didn't like how played 3D Movies, Kodi is the only Player that plays my 3D collection almost perfect-that I tried), however lately haven't try if MPC does offer the MadVR Settings OSD.

" During playback, Ctrl + S should bring up the settings panel, not Ctrl + R "...  Thanks ! Didn't knew that, will try and reply
I remember that 1st time it show MadVR Settings OSD I select to NOT show settings- I though it will be there all the time I played a Movie, but if I uninstall, clean registry should fix the problem for next install, correct ?

Did you try resetting madVR settings to its defaults from the installation folder?  Don't think so, I did reset from tray icon but not from installation folder. Do not know how, I can not find anything to "reset" from install folder (where I install MadVR) ?

Using Windows 10 Pro (1709) Hope this helps...

PS: as mentioned need help, will follow any instructions to solve my issue

Again, Thanks for the help
 Did you try resetting madVR to its defaults in the installation folder? This is where I would start.

Also, you probably aren't getting DTS audio because you checked enable DTS-HD framing in LAV Audio, which should almost never be selected.
hello everyone. I have a dual monitor setup with a tv as the second monitor and all of a sudden when I try to load up Kodi the second display blacks out. It does it on both monitors when I try to switch them. The problem is on both sides for some reason. It just started doing this and I am unsure why.
(2018-06-01, 02:30)toki5 Wrote: hello everyone. I have a dual monitor setup with a tv as the second monitor and all of a sudden when I try to load up Kodi the second display blacks out. It does it on both monitors when I try to switch them. The problem is on both sides for some reason. It just started doing this and I am unsure why.
 Did you recently update to Windows build (1803)? Are you using fullscreen exclusive mode in madVR?

I have limited experience with monitor cloning/duplicating, so I don't know what the problem might be. Can you rule out madVR as the problem, or any kind of refresh rate switching?
I did update to 1803 windows, it shouldn't be madvr settings because it plays fine on mpc-hc. It only does it when I bring up kodi in general, not even playing a movie yet.
(2018-06-02, 00:23)toki5 Wrote: I did update to 1803 windows, it shouldn't be madvr settings because it plays fine on mpc-hc. It only does it when I bring up kodi in general, not even playing a movie yet.
It could be a problem introduced by 1803. I don't know. You wouldn't be the first. If it was working before, that seems likely, but is equally disappointing that Microsoft can't get these things right.
Hi everyone, Was hoping someone could help with my MadVR settings.

Similar to @mkohman  (who posted a few months ago and advised me to come on these forums), I have a JVC X7900 projector and I’m trying to milk the absolute best picture I can with it through the use of MadVR. I’m using a GTX 1080ti in my HTPC with an intel 6700k.

99% of most content I will be using with this setup will be remuxed 1080 mkv and also remux 4k files. Looking at post 5,857 where mkohman has posted screenshots of his MadVR setup, I’m thinking of using the same settings but wanted to ask if there are any amendments I should make considering I’m using a 1080ti Nvidia card. I’d just like the absolute best 2D image considering I have spent a lot on this setup in search of the perfect 2D HDR projected image.

I’d really appreciate any input. FYI, here is a link to the page where @mkohman  has posted his settings:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...5&page=391

Thanks for the help in advance Smile
With that GPU, I'd use the settings posted here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2238974.
What would be the perfect settings on a 1050 and also should I make a separate profile for each resolution?
I would take the settings for a 1050 Ti posted in the link above and scale them down to the 1050.

You should also reduce the size of the CPU, GPU and present queues in madVR. The 2GB of VRAM of the 1050 is barely adequate for madVR use at 4K. You need to reduce the amount of memory used by madVR considerably.
  • 419(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47