• 491(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Thanks for the help! Yep, you guessed it right. It was the HDMI-displayport adapter causing the stutter. (I had a dual HDMI setup because I previously couldn't get HDR passthrough working from PC -> AVR -> TV.)

Here's the backstory to this fix just in case anyone might have similar problems in the future:
Removing the display port adapter and resorting to single HDMI setup (with HDMI from PC -> AVR -> TV) fixed the stutter in 1080p videos.

I also figured how to get HDR passthrough working from PC -> AVR -> TV. This was simply an error on my part because I think I hadn't previously selected the right pixel depth in Radeon settings (YCbCr 4:2:2) with which 10-bit colour depth works. 

So after removing the HDMI-displayport adapter I still had some stutter (a slight lag spike) every few seconds in 4k HDR videos and it took a while to figure this one out. I had turned off motion interpolation in my Samsung TV when watching SDR content. I found out that when you watch HDR content, the tv has its own picture settings in HDR mode which include the setting for motion interpolation. And it was turned on. After turning it off in HDR mode I now have stutter free 4k HDR playback.

So this basically was a hardware and a tv-settings problem combined and it had nothing to do with Kodi DSplayer or madVR.

Well -- all is well now and it's finally time to start enjoying 4k HDR movies and 1080p madVR upscaled videos which look amazing!
(2019-09-02, 13:06)tungvjckj Wrote: how to update the latest version of madvr

Install it. DSPlayer uses the external copy of madVR installed on your PC.
Okay, now I have a small problem when playing video with Kodi DSplayer.

If during video playback I press "I" button on keyboard to view video info / remaining time and then if I close this view by pressing Backspace or Escape, Kodi interface starts to flicker and popping up on top of the video. It's much easier to understand if you look at this video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qwrjr8hbw0c90...m.mov?dl=0

I can only stop the flickering by stopping the video and then resuming play.

What's the reason for this and is there a fix for it?
Never seen that before, either. 

What did you check under "general settings" in madVR? I would only check use D3D11 for presentation and present a frame for every VSync to start with. But you could experiment with those settings if that doesn't fix it. 

Did you try toggling fullscreen exclusive mode on and off under the DSPlayer settings?

Is this an HDR video? Does it have something to do with switching into the display's HDR mode? If so, you may need to try a newer video driver after a clean install of the old one.
(2019-09-04, 18:46)Warner306 Wrote: Never seen that before, either. 

What did you check under "general settings" in madVR? I would only check use D3D11 for presentation and present a frame for every VSync to start with. But you could experiment with those settings if that doesn't fix it. 

Did you try toggling fullscreen exclusive mode on and off under the DSPlayer settings?

Is this an HDR video? Does it have something to do with switching into the display's HDR mode? If so, you may need to try a newer video driver after a clean install of the old one.

This problem occurs both with HDR and SDR videos and is exclusive to Kodi. Mediaportal OSD does not have this problem.

I have ”D3D11 for presentation and present a frame for every VSync” and ”delay playback start until render queue is full with delay playback start after seeking too” enabled. All other settings are disabled in general settings. CPU queue size 16 and GPU 8.

I tried enabling and disabling fullscreen exclusive mode to no effect.

I have the latest AMD radeon driver installed.
Are subtitles involved? Is Kodi set to use a fullscreen window? Are the DSPlayer settings set to match the same settings in the madVR control panel?
(2019-09-04, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: Are subtitles involved? Is Kodi set to use a fullscreen window? Are the DSPlayer settings set to match the same settings in the madVR control panel?

Yes I have subtitles enabled using Xysubfilter.
Yes Kodi is in fullscreen mode.
In Dsplayer I have set ”load from madvr active profile” which is the recommended mode in the tutorial.
Filters are Internal filters, no extra external filters or custom rules.
(2019-09-04, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: ...

Hi mate, I was going to ask this on the MADVR forum but my email account has been hacked and I cant seem to change my email on doom9 as admin contact has been shut down, any idea how i'd get that sorted, my old email was so bad hacked I decided to have it completely deleted so nobody could use it again, there is no access to get my acocunt reset so I cant add a new email, catch 22, anyway I digress.

I'm pretty sure you can help me with this quick query, its connected to MADVR DS...

I've decided to finally get into the calibration game, ive picked up a spyder2 for under 10 bucks just to help me familiarise myself with display cal, I plan to get something better in the future. My question is, as I consume all of my media via DS/MADVR on my HTPC, can I just set a windows colour profile or do I need both a windows colour profile and a 3Dlut in MADVR, does MADVR ignore or bypass any windows colour profile you set?
Windows color profiles only impact other computer applications, so you likely only need a 3D LUT for video playback with DSPlayer/madVR, as ICC profiles are only useful for serious color correction in apps such as Photoshop. 3D LUTs for madVR use have its own presets in DisplayCal.

I would start with an SDR 3D LUT, either gamma 2.20 or 2.40. The choice of color gamut (BT.709 or DCI-P3) would depend on whether or not your display can reach beyond BT.709 or not and whether you intend to watch any HDR content tone mapped to SDR. If you are only watching SDR content through the 3D LUT, then BT.709 would be appropriate. If you also watch HDR content tone mapped to SDR, then you likely want one DCI-P3 3D LUT in gamma 2.20. The DCI-P3 3D LUT should be created with the display color setting set to "Wide" or "Extended." Search for a review of your display to determine its color gamut coverage and the appropriate color profile to choose to create the 3D LUT.

3D LUTs for PQ HDR aren't that useful unless you create several configurations. You would make more progress with HDR passthrough by learning how to use HCFR and turning the RGB High/Low controls to correct the color temperature and grayscale.
(2019-09-05, 17:22)rootz Wrote:
(2019-09-04, 23:53)Warner306 Wrote: Are subtitles involved? Is Kodi set to use a fullscreen window? Are the DSPlayer settings set to match the same settings in the madVR control panel?

In Dsplayer I have set ”load from madvr active profile” which is the recommended mode in the tutorial.

Try disabling the subtitles. Kodi should be set to a fullscreen window and not a true fullscreen. The second issue may be the most likely culprit.
(2019-09-06, 01:47)Warner306 Wrote: Windows color profiles only impact other computer applications, ..
wonderful, this is exactly what I needed to know to get me going thanks, I have many more questions but I'm going to direct those to the displaycal forum as it wouldnt be fair to spam this one.

Thanks again Smile
hmm, not much activity or help on the displayCAL forum, i'll have to ask on here until I can get back into DOOM9 and ask on the MADVR gen thread.

When I setup my TV for calibration, I reset the profile to defaults, the picture looks fine, no issues. I then also set black clipping pattern to 17 flashing to get everything roughly ok. I start DISPLAY CAL, When I measure my white balance its way off, green is very high and blue/green a bit low, i also tested this with an older DP24 and my mobile phone camera, all report high greens, thing is picture looks fine to me, black bars in clipping pattern are perfectly grey, if I turn the green down they start to go red, I guess the green could be mainly in the higher luminance?

When I say green is high, I have to take it down to -13 or more and take blue/red up for 6 pointes to even the bars out, does this sound really off or could this be fairly normal does anyone think?

Are there any settings I should definately choose for calibrating an OLED with an ageing SPYDER2 - (getting something better shortly hopefully)
(2019-09-06, 01:48)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-09-05, 17:22)rootz Wrote:

Try disabling the subtitles. Kodi should be set to a fullscreen window and not a true fullscreen. The second issue may be the most likely culprit.

Thanks! I had in kodi system settings Use fullscreen window enabled. I tried with this setting enabled and disabled to no avail.

However disabling subtitles fixes the problem but causes another one. This way when I press backspace the OSD closes. However after this if I press ”I” again to bring up the OSD, nothing happens. I have to stop and resume the video to get the OSD to show up again.
(2019-09-06, 18:12)rootz Wrote:
(2019-09-06, 01:48)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-09-05, 17:22)rootz Wrote: Yes I have subtitles enabled using Xysubfilter.

Thanks! I had in kodi system settings Use fullscreen window enabled. I tried with this setting enabled and disabled to no avail.

However disabling subtitles fixes the problem but causes another one. This way when I press backspace the OSD closes. However after this if I press ”I” again to bring up the OSD, nothing happens. I have to stop and resume the video to get the OSD to show up again. 
chiedo scusa da dove posso scaricare kodi dsplayer?
first page of this discussion, with detailed explanations how to configure everything, good reading.
  • 491(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47