• 506(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Try searching this thread. This issue has come up in the past. I can't remember the previous recommendations.
(2020-01-22, 03:11)ayeroff Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate the help. But actually, the video files play correctly regardless of what resolution is selected. As I understand it, the GUI resolution setting in Kodi doesn't control playback, and only controls the resolution of the Kodi interface, and Kodi then switched to the correct video playback resolution. The problem is that when the file stops playing, there is some problem switching back to the GUI resolution. 
You can take the corresponding settings from guisettings.xml and transfer it to advancedsettings.xml.
The GUI settings are stored in guisettings.xml, you can read the settings there.
These settings used in advancedsettings.xml lead to an override of the GUI settings (some of the corresponding GUI setting elements within the GUI disappear when used in advancedsettings.xml).

In your given problem you´ll need something like

<videoscreen>
<screenmode>00384002160060.00000pstd</screenmode>
</videoscreen>

in the advancedsettings.xml file (here resolution 3840x2160@60Hz)
(2020-01-20, 20:13)ayeroff Wrote: Hi.  I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve an annoying .....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, this might be something you have to live with as I still get it from time to time, ssuming you are using win10?

few things to try:

Turn on or off FSE in MADVR
use full screen window off or on in KODI DS
set gui to 2160p like you desktop, removed all 1080p display modes from MADVR, you dont need to add one for 3D as this is forced to 1080p anyway.

Personally I just live with the issue, I can solve it more or less but I have other issues if I do which I wont bore you with.

Thanks for the help.
TV reports HDR10 and everything but one value in the MadVR overlay says 10bit.

Do I have a problem or is it correct that it says NV HDR 8 bit? If it isnt correct, how can I fix it? Smile
Thanks in advance!

That is what is output from the GPU, which can be different than the output from madVR.

madVR can dither HDR content from 10-bits to 8-bits without any consequences or banding, so there is nothing wrong with that. But you should set madVR to 8-bits to match the GPU, or otherwise the GPU is doing the dithering from 10-bits to 8-bits rather than madVR.
(2020-01-26, 12:13)Warner306 Wrote: That is what is output from the GPU, which can be different than the output from madVR.

madVR can dither HDR content from 10-bits to 8-bits without any consequences or banding, so there is nothing wrong with that. But you should set madVR to 8-bits to match the GPU, or otherwise the GPU is doing the dithering from 10-bits to 8-bits rather than madVR.

I want the HDR content to reach the TV in 10bit, so shouldnt it read "NV HDR 10bit" then?

GPU is an RTX2060

madvr is set to pass through HDR to the TV.

when I enable HDR in windows 10 then then I get "OS HDR 12 bit" in the madvr overlay instead of "NV HDR 8bit".
To get 10-bit output from both madVR and the GPU, set the GPU desktop refresh rate to 30 Hz and then select 12-bit RGB in the GPU control panel. 

I would personally set both madVR and the GPU to 8-bit RGB in order to keep the desktop refresh rate at 60 Hz. madVR uses high-quality dithering to convert 10-bits to 8-bits and the result is virtually indistinguishable from 10-bits or 12-bits.

The Lumagen Radiance Pro does the same trick. Read this quote from the lead software engineer, Jim, who claims there is no visual difference between dithered 8-bit and dithered 10-bit. madVR has proven this several times over and is no different:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t...st58353702
I've been using Kodi DSPlayer for a couple of years now, and had my HTPC running pretty well.  I use my HTPC exclusively to play Bluray and UHD MKV files ripped from my movie disc collection.

Recently, my NVIDIA driver got updated accidentally (I've avoided updating most drivers once I got my system working the way I wanted) which started causing some problems.  So I downloaded my previous NVIDIA driver and rolled back to that version (390.77).  Everything is working again, except I can't get my system to play any lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Dolby Atmos).  Now, when I play a MKV movie that has Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Dolby Atmos, I get no sound from the movie.  If I play a MKV movie with DD or DTS, the sound plays fine.  I have WASAPI selected for both direct and passthrough, and all audio formats supported by my A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-A2070) are selected. 

Any idea what might have gotten broken during the Driver rollback, or how I can get lossless audio to play again?  Thanks for the help!
I can't remember the exact steps to address this issue, but I believe I have experienced it before. 

You might benefit from running a utility called DDU to completely remove the video drivers and start with a fresh one. 

I think I did something odd like choose one of the generic "Nvidia HDMI Audio Devices" in the DSPlayer settings, played a few files, and then switched back to the default audio device. It might have been something was saved in the Windows registry for the old audio device and was now corrupt and had to be overwritten.

I honestly can't remember for certain. But I may have done something unusual such as that to get all audio codecs working again.

DDU might be your best bet.
While always hoping for some kind, capable and gentle soul to update DSPlayer, I'm starting to wonder what would be needed to keep on using it in the future. And the only thing that could be a showstopper, as far as I can imagine, are scrapers for media and subtitles.

I personally use TVDB, TMDB, OpenSubtitles and Addic7ed Subtitles. How complex would it be to keep those up to date in Python 2, when development switches to Python 3? Anybody knows?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2020-01-27, 00:07)Warner306 Wrote: madVR uses high-quality dithering to convert 10-bits to 8-bits and the result is virtually indistinguishable from 10-bits or 12-bits.

The Lumagen Radiance Pro does the same trick. Read this quote from the lead software engineer, Jim, who claims there is no visual difference between dithered 8-bit and dithered 10-bit. madVR has proven this several times over and is no different:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t...st58353702
Sweet, thanks a lot! I was worried that 8bit would butcher the color depth. Smile
(2020-01-27, 18:17)ashlar Wrote: While always hoping for some kind, capable and gentle soul to update DSPlayer, I'm starting to wonder what would be needed to keep on using it in the future. And the only thing that could be a showstopper, as far as I can imagine, are scrapers for media and subtitles.

I personally use TVDB, TMDB, OpenSubtitles and Addic7ed Subtitles. How complex would it be to keep those up to date in Python 2, when development switches to Python 3? Anybody knows?

Traditionally, support for scrapers has been ongoing for older versions of Kodi because those older versions would be nearly useless without them. So I'm not as worried about scrapers. I'd miss some other video and program add-ons that might stop working at some point.
(2020-01-27, 10:29)ayeroff Wrote: I've been using Kodi DSPlayer for a couple of years now, and had my HTPC running pretty well.  I use my HTPC exclusively to play Bluray and UHD MKV files ripped from my movie disc collection.

Recently, my NVIDIA driver got updated accidentally (I've avoided updating most drivers once I got my system working the way I wanted) which started causing some problems.  So I downloaded my previous NVIDIA driver and rolled back to that version (390.77).  Everything is working again, except I can't get my system to play any lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Dolby Atmos).  Now, when I play a MKV movie that has Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Dolby Atmos, I get no sound from the movie.  If I play a MKV movie with DD or DTS, the sound plays fine.  I have WASAPI selected for both direct and passthrough, and all audio formats supported by my A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-A2070) are selected. 

Any idea what might have gotten broken during the Driver rollback, or how I can get lossless audio to play again?  Thanks for the help!

sometimes you need to reselect the device in the dsplayer section of players, scroll down and make sure your device is still selected.  sometimes when it upgrades video it changes something about the audio device the the original device is now not listed in dsplayer
(2020-02-01, 02:36)spencerjford Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 10:29)ayeroff Wrote: I've been using Kodi DSPlayer for a couple of years now, and had my HTPC running pretty well.  I use my HTPC exclusively to play Bluray and UHD MKV files ripped from my movie disc collection.

sometimes you need to reselect the device in the dsplayer section of players, scroll down and make sure your device is still selected.  sometimes when it upgrades video it changes something about the audio device the the original device is now not listed in dsplayer
Fixed (finally)! Thanks for the help.
(2020-01-12, 13:26)curael Wrote:
(2020-01-12, 12:39)CyberVillain Wrote: I'm looking at getting madVR to integrate with Kodi, why isnt this branch of Kodi pulled into master? It seems its unmaintained too, master is now at 18.x

The project has had no maintainer since 17.x. Maintaining DSplayer and to build/port it into Leia branch is not an easy feat and sadly no one has had the combination of time and skill required to do so.

Has anyone actually attempted this? I'm sure I'm not going to make much progress here and will probably have to give up when I can't get the pipeline to build, but I'm already about 8 hours and about 450 of the 500+ merge conflicting files resolved (of updating this to the original 18.0 release). Hell VS Code can't even handle a git changelist with more than 5k files in it. If by some magic I can get 18.0 w/ DSPlayer to work, then I can start the arduous task of doing it all over again for the other 18.x milestones.

Anyway, if someone else has been stupid enough to try this before, I'd love to get together and discuss issues and roadblocks.
  • 506(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47