• 6(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows

Does this happen on a regular basis or was this a rare incident?

Also, was this a black screen on seek or a freeze?
[/quote]

Fairly often for me. and black screen and freeze. Clicking on the Kodi screen brought up the "wait until unfreezes or close" windows dialog.

and debug mode makes on stop freeze happen less often, but nothing in the log ever shows anything.
The stop freeze is happening to me, too. I think overall stability could be improved. Turning on debugging seems to stop the video from freezing when stopping playback, but can lead to freezes when loading the video - but the freeze on loading happens far less often. The freeze on stop problem is too common to be overlooked, unfortunately.

I am using a Nvidia card with 347.88 driver. Driver version 347.52 has the same problem. My Intel HD 3000 is very solid and reliable with only an occasional crash.

The black screen might be due to the content. I found 9 movies in my collection of 400 that would break apart (go to a black screen when seeking forward). All but one was an MP4 ripped years ago. Remuxing these files to MKV fixed that problem. Regardless, I intend to send a sample to aracnoz to see if he can fix this. The link to the program I used to fix the black screen is in the first post of the guide I posted. Any problem file can be fixed in a minute or two without changing the audio or the video - only the container is remuxed to an MKV.
(2015-04-05, 00:59)Cinder Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 18:50)Warner306 Wrote: If you can't see the difference in picture quality, turn up your settings. With a GTX 960, you could use NNEDI3 for both chroma and luma, if you wanted.

You will see the smallest improvement in 1080p rips, but the difference is still there. Turn off debanding as it strips away some detail. The same can be said for Smooth Motion. Basically, if you aren't satisfied with your settings, then change to a different scaling algorithm that looks good to you. Jinc3 + AR can appear soft to some people (at least, at 1080p). Jinc4 or Lanczos3-4 might look better to your eyes.

There are hundreds of combinations of settings available in madVR. That is what separates it from many renderers. But I would agree, with some content, the difference is not immediately apparent. After you have watched content for year, like me, I bet you will not want to go back. It is easy to see the difference. Or maybe I just like what its scaling looks like.

I tried NNEDI3 on my desktop (trying to find my preferred settings before migrating them to HTPC), and indeed I can see some improvements when switching back to "nearest neighbor" for instance. Differences between the other algorithms are really hard for me to spot, say between Jinc and NNEDI33. I tested this on a very low res video though (512x384), which leaves me wondering - which resolutions does madVR really shine at 720p upscaling to 1080p?

I also found now that the madVR setting changes are in fact instantaneous to the played video, which I was unable to see on 1080p material. Still, I am getting dropped frames when running with SVP as well, any suggestions on solving that?

And finally I get no subtitles in Kodi to show now that I'm running SVP with FFDShow Raw and madVR..?

In any case, many thanks for your help, I'm sure I will be able to set this up to be fantastic with a little help.

I don't know much about SVP. Is your average rendering queue below the movie frame interval of 41.71 ms? If not, you will have to dial-down your settings. If it is below the rendering queue, then I don't know what the problem could be.

I think madVR scaling shines whenever it is asked to do the most work, with the exception of SD material, which will simply display artifacts at times when overscaled to HD resolutions. Using NNEDI3 Luma Doubling from 1080p -> 4K is known to produce very impressive results. Scaling 720p to 1080p also does well. I would test the various scaling algorithms - as long as your graphics cards can handle it - to find something you like. Adding extra taps to Jinc, for example (4 or more), will lead to a sharper image. But some would say it's oversharpened. Using Error Diffusion dithering is also overlooked.

In general, the scaling will look its best the more you blow up the image. If you are looking at it on your computer monitor, the image will look less enhanced than the same image shown on a projector screen. Also, changes to the luma (black and white color layer) will be more apparent than changes to the chroma (color layer). This is simply due to the human perception of color.

Only your eyes can decide what looks best. Having a powerful graphics card does help, as more settings are available to you.
(2015-04-04, 17:48)Cinder Wrote: Has anyone setup a working DSPlayer + madVR + SVP?
I'm trying to do this, but I can't quite get it to work, I've been following Warner306's guide for setting up madVR in DSPlayer, and then got the DSPlayer FFDShow starter pack configs (SVP need FFDShow to run right?), but when using these configs no videos start in Kodi, nothing happens.

The difference I see in mediasconfig compared to the SVP Teams' own configs for Kodi, is that in their config the source is said to be "lavfsplitter", this launches videos, Warner306's config says source is "lavsource", and doesn't manage to launch videos. Using lavfsplitter as source videos manage to start and seem to be using madVR, however I have constant frame drops, probably averaging 1 frame dropped per second. Also splitter is "lavf_splitter" vs "lavsplitter".

Anyone got any ideas of why lavsource doesn't run, and/or what I can do to stop the frame drops? I have ReClock installed and set up - do I need to change something in its settings to avoid the drops?

Also I would like to know if there is a way to do a side-by-side comparison of madVR on and madVR off? I'm having a hard time distinguishing between changes to the image, and in some cases I find there is no difference between madVR and EVR renderers, is it possible that the differences are that small, or are they usually very clear?

Thanks for your awesome work on this player, I have SVP running perfectly since before, and now I'm trying to get some madVR goodness into it as well. I'm curious to see if my A8-7600K with GTX 960 can handle both.

I just tried SVP with MadVR on Kod It works fine like on EVR when I tried many months ago. If framedrop occurs most likely your GPU can't keep up with task loads. You should reset SVP profiles to let it determined what is best settings for your system. Also you would want to lower madVR settings if you want to use it with SVP because it double loads on GPU/CPU.

You don't need DSPlayer config from SVP at all. Just insert FFDShow RAW as extra filter and that's all you need to make Kodi DSplayer works with SVP. Disabe ato-refresh rate changing in MadVR & Kodi since we want to output everything to 60fps. Also I'd say from my past experience don't use reclock with SVP.

Also AVISynth that came with SVP was quite old. You may want to update it to latest version and maybe AVISynthMT version for better performance.
Cinder Wrote:I tried NNEDI3 on my desktop (trying to find my preferred settings before migrating them to HTPC), and indeed I can see some improvements when switching back to "nearest neighbor" for instance. Differences between the other algorithms are really hard for me to spot, say between Jinc and NNEDI33. I tested this on a very low res video though (512x384), which leaves me wondering - which resolutions does madVR really shine at 720p upscaling to 1080p?

I also found now that the madVR setting changes are in fact instantaneous to the played video, which I was unable to see on 1080p material. Still, I am getting dropped frames when running with SVP as well, any suggestions on solving that?

And finally I get no subtitles in Kodi to show now that I'm running SVP with FFDShow Raw and madVR..?

In any case, many thanks for your help, I'm sure I will be able to set this up to be fantastic with a little help.

You will definitely see improvement when compared to simple algorithm, Nearest Neighbor / Bilinear. But when compared to other more complex algorithm it will be a lot less improvement. Especially when less amount of scaling is needed.

Decided by your eyes. Don't trust other's eyes, some like it sharp some says it's too sharp. Our visual preference is different. Just like when some prefer normal fps but some prefer interpolated 60fps from SVP.

On 1080p you would see less differences. Especially with SVP. SVP algorithm already do some post processing like cleanup /denoise / sharpening etc.

I'd say I sometimes miss this smooth 60fps especially on Animation. Maybe I'd try to set up profiles for it.
I watched some content this evening and found a temporary fix for content that was freezing when stopped. Setting Kodi to adjust refresh rate to the display forced a refresh rate change from 24hz -> 60hz that caused the videos to stop normally. I've had lip-sync drifting with my display at 24hz, so don't use refresh rate changing on a regular basis, but will continue to do so until this issue is fixed.
(2015-04-05, 07:03)Warner306 Wrote: I watched some content this evening and found a temporary fix for content that was freezing when stopped. Setting Kodi to adjust refresh rate to the display forced a refresh rate change from 24hz -> 60hz that caused the videos to stop normally. I've had lip-sync drifting with my display at 24hz, so don't use refresh rate changing on a regular basis, but will continue to do so until this issue is fixed.

I use it all the time for years with DSPlayer. No problem here with KodiMadVR. Maybe you have problematic files?

Also as I've said, disable madVR refresh rate changingm and use only Kodi built-in seems to be better in my experience.
Yes, for now I am sticking with 24hz. I seem to have ideal lip-sync after trying many combinations with many players. But I could find some content that isn't in sync in the near future. That has happened before.

This combination seems to work:
  • Leave display modes blank in madVR;
  • Bitstreaming in ReClock with media speed correction (which is OK becuase the refresh rates match);
  • Set Kodi to adjust refresh rate to display;
  • And use Video Clock for correction (although, I don't know if this does anything)
And like that, I appear to have proper 1080p24 playback. I hope it stays that way!
I added a Troubleshooting Tips section to the guide posted with the fix above and other corrections for current known issues.

I'll add to it in the future.
For reclock users with lipsync issues try using 25ms for the "sound pre buffer" It minimizes the problem
(2015-04-05, 02:05)Warner306 Wrote: The stop freeze is happening to me, too. I think overall stability could be improved. Turning on debugging seems to stop the video from freezing when stopping playback, but can lead to freezes when loading the video - but the freeze on loading happens far less often. The freeze on stop problem is too common to be overlooked, unfortunately.

I am using a Nvidia card with 347.88 driver. Driver version 347.52 has the same problem. My Intel HD 3000 is very solid and reliable with only an occasional crash.

The black screen might be due to the content. I found 9 movies in my collection of 400 that would break apart (go to a black screen when seeking forward). All but one was an MP4 ripped years ago. Remuxing these files to MKV fixed that problem. Regardless, I intend to send a sample to aracnoz to see if he can fix this. The link to the program I used to fix the black screen is in the first post of the guide I posted. Any problem file can be fixed in a minute or two without changing the audio or the video - only the container is remuxed to an MKV.

all the files I have tested have been MKV.

But i just updated to hotfix driver 350.05. I'll turn madVR back and see what happens.
(2015-04-04, 13:58)vicmanpergar Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 12:01)ashlar Wrote: Thanks to madshi, which is making my life happier since getting 1:1 pixel mapping on my old Panasonic 50" plasma monitor. Hats off to you. Big Grin

That's interesting... As far as i know, correct me please if i'm wrong, u only need to turn off 16:9 overscan in the set up menu of the Panasonic (Viera V20 here), to get 1:1 pixel mapping. I've always assumed i was getting it.
Don't worry, you've got that right. When I say "old" plasma monitor I kinda mean that. I'm talking about a professional model, dated 2005. It was 1366x768 and to get 1:1 pixel mapping via VGA connection (the only connection that allowed 1:1 pixel mapping, by the way) you needed special timings, which madshi discovered. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-04-05, 11:55)ashlar Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 13:58)vicmanpergar Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 12:01)ashlar Wrote: Thanks to madshi, which is making my life happier since getting 1:1 pixel mapping on my old Panasonic 50" plasma monitor. Hats off to you. Big Grin

That's interesting... As far as i know, correct me please if i'm wrong, u only need to turn off 16:9 overscan in the set up menu of the Panasonic (Viera V20 here), to get 1:1 pixel mapping. I've always assumed i was getting it.
Don't worry, you've got that right. When I say "old" plasma monitor I kinda mean that. I'm talking about a professional model, dated 2005. It was 1366x768 and to get 1:1 pixel mapping via VGA connection (the only connection that allowed 1:1 pixel mapping, by the way) you needed special timings, which madshi discovered. Smile

That gives me peace, lol
Thanks
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2015-04-05, 02:13)Warner306 Wrote: I don't know much about SVP. Is your average rendering queue below the movie frame interval of 41.71 ms? If not, you will have to dial-down your settings. If it is below the rendering queue, then I don't know what the problem could be.

I think madVR scaling shines whenever it is asked to do the most work, with the exception of SD material, which will simply display artifacts at times when overscaled to HD resolutions. Using NNEDI3 Luma Doubling from 1080p -> 4K is known to produce very impressive results. Scaling 720p to 1080p also does well. I would test the various scaling algorithms - as long as your graphics cards can handle it - to find something you like. Adding extra taps to Jinc, for example (4 or more), will lead to a sharper image. But some would say it's oversharpened. Using Error Diffusion dithering is also overlooked.

In general, the scaling will look its best the more you blow up the image. If you are looking at it on your computer monitor, the image will look less enhanced than the same image shown on a projector screen. Also, changes to the luma (black and white color layer) will be more apparent than changes to the chroma (color layer). This is simply due to the human perception of color.

Only your eyes can decide what looks best. Having a powerful graphics card does help, as more settings are available to you.

Yes, my average rendering happens at 12ms, but the max stat over 5 seconds is at about 120ms.
I've played around on my desktop PC now, so I might start to take this over to my HTPC and see if the results are better over there, and especially to see if I get the same kind of frame dropping. I will definitely be trying your suggestions.

(2015-04-05, 05:56)oldpoem Wrote: I just tried SVP with MadVR on Kod It works fine like on EVR when I tried many months ago. If framedrop occurs most likely your GPU can't keep up with task loads. You should reset SVP profiles to let it determined what is best settings for your system. Also you would want to lower madVR settings if you want to use it with SVP because it double loads on GPU/CPU.

You don't need DSPlayer config from SVP at all. Just insert FFDShow RAW as extra filter and that's all you need to make Kodi DSplayer works with SVP. Disabe ato-refresh rate changing in MadVR & Kodi since we want to output everything to 60fps. Also I'd say from my past experience don't use reclock with SVP.

Also AVISynth that came with SVP was quite old. You may want to update it to latest version and maybe AVISynthMT version for better performance.

I keep getting frame drops (about 1/sec) no matter what algorithm I choose - even with "Nearest neighbor". This occurs when I set the playback into exclusive mode with a 720p video playing in this case. What else can I lower in madVR to increase performance?

I dont know much about Avisynth, can I just install a newer version over an old one, or does it need setting up?

(2015-04-05, 05:56)oldpoem Wrote: You will definitely see improvement when compared to simple algorithm, Nearest Neighbor / Bilinear. But when compared to other more complex algorithm it will be a lot less improvement. Especially when less amount of scaling is needed.

Decided by your eyes. Don't trust other's eyes, some like it sharp some says it's too sharp. Our visual preference is different. Just like when some prefer normal fps but some prefer interpolated 60fps from SVP.

On 1080p you would see less differences. Especially with SVP. SVP algorithm already do some post processing like cleanup /denoise / sharpening etc.

I'd say I sometimes miss this smooth 60fps especially on Animation. Maybe I'd try to set up profiles for it.

I definitely have a hard time seeing differences between the custom algorithms, I did however get really good results playing with FFDShow's sharpening to combat the slight blurryness that SVP may result in.
(2015-04-04, 03:49)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 02:38)hentai23 Wrote: i was hoping for a ffdshow less option , since i dont use ffdshow for anything else since lav filters does it all...except the audio leveling like what potplayers audiocodec/transform does

For Audio processor , FFDShow is superior to others. Far better than those you use in PotPlayer. You don't need to use it for decoding, use LaV Audio to decoding and use FFDShow Audio Processor to do post processing (Normalize, Mixing etc) and it's can do high quality resample output.

There is a lot more configuration & post-processing. This is the reference link.
w
http://www.ezoden.com/htpc/31/ffdshow-audio

Using LAV Audio with FFDShow Audio Processor is probably the best way for people who doesn't use AVR to do passthrough.

But then it's your choice.

i see well thanks for clearing that up ill get to ffdshow as audio processor immediately then

and an update on the GUI lag ...well according to this thread according to nevcairiel having kodi use a seperate renderer for the OSD elements would fix any said lag , i recon this would be the way to go since any other method such as lowering gpu queue introduces dropped frames in your playback and even then the lowest gpu queue could go is 4 and thats still 4 frames of OSD lag not to mention it about breaks madvr aka tons of dropped frames plus broken deinterlacing galore , not good , apparently zoomplayer uses a algorithm with madvr that fixes the OSD lag , that potplayer nor kodi can do according to him

check out both posts by huhn and nevcairiel here , http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1716167

i knew this wouldnt be a easy fix , damn it
(2015-04-05, 19:30)Cinder Wrote: I definitely have a hard time seeing differences between the custom algorithms, I did however get really good results playing with FFDShow's sharpening to combat the slight blurryness that SVP may result in.

If using FFDShow to do the image resizing, then I don't think any of the custom algorithms will do much of anything. Either FFDShow does the resizing or madVR.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47