• 5(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
@Cinder

It's not important how u name the filters as long as they are declared in filtersconfig.xml in ur userdata folder. The name on my side was lavspliter for the spliter and lavfspliter for the source, or something similar. So, when adding filters in mediasconfig.xml, u wanna have filtersconfig.xml open and visible to take a look to the correc names.

@aracnoz
Great.... willd download
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
(2015-04-04, 17:48)Cinder Wrote: Has anyone setup a working DSPlayer + madVR + SVP?
I'm trying to do this, but I can't quite get it to work, I've been following Warner306's guide for setting up madVR in DSPlayer, and then got the DSPlayer FFDShow starter pack configs (SVP need FFDShow to run right?), but when using these configs no videos start in Kodi, nothing happens.

The difference I see in mediasconfig compared to the SVP Teams' own configs for Kodi, is that in their config the source is said to be "lavfsplitter", this launches videos, Warner306's config says source is "lavsource", and doesn't manage to launch videos. Using lavfsplitter as source videos manage to start and seem to be using madVR, however I have constant frame drops, probably averaging 1 frame dropped per second. Also splitter is "lavf_splitter" vs "lavsplitter".

Anyone got any ideas of why lavsource doesn't run, and/or what I can do to stop the frame drops? I have ReClock installed and set up - do I need to change something in its settings to avoid the drops?

Also I would like to know if there is a way to do a side-by-side comparison of madVR on and madVR off? I'm having a hard time distinguishing between changes to the image, and in some cases I find there is no difference between madVR and EVR renderers, is it possible that the differences are that small, or are they usually very clear?

Thanks for your awesome work on this player, I have SVP running perfectly since before, and now I'm trying to get some madVR goodness into it as well. I'm curious to see if my A8-7600K with GTX 960 can handle both.

If you can't see the difference in picture quality, turn up your settings. With a GTX 960, you could use NNEDI3 for both chroma and luma, if you wanted.

You will see the smallest improvement in 1080p rips, but the difference is still there. Turn off debanding as it strips away some detail. The same can be said for Smooth Motion. Basically, if you aren't satisfied with your settings, then change to a different scaling algorithm that looks good to you. Jinc3 + AR can appear soft to some people (at least, at 1080p). Jinc4 or Lanczos3-4 might look better to your eyes.

There are hundreds of combinations of settings available in madVR. That is what separates it from many renderers. But I would agree, with some content, the difference is not immediately apparent. After you have watched content for year, like me, I bet you will not want to go back. It is easy to see the difference. Or maybe I just like what its scaling looks like.
(2015-04-04, 11:44)hlina Wrote: Thanks to all you guys for your great work!

I have switched to dsplayer a couple of years ago in order to make use of frame interpolation (SVP). I was particularly interested to see madVRs smooth motion, so I now tried using madvr, but kodi tends to crash very easily with this option (it just freezes and must be stopped, no entry in the log file). It is enough to press left/right mouse button a few times when playing a video or some keys on the keyboard like , e.g., "B". I am, however, not sure, if I have messed up my setting at some point.

Maybe sombody has already run into this issue and knows a solution?

I don't think this is due to Smooth Motion. I am also experiencing some freezing during playback. I was going to send aracnoz a message about my findings today.

Try turning dubugging on. As stupid as it sounds, it fixed my freezing problems during playback. Unfortunately, no one likes to leave dubugging on.

In the meantime, you could use this solution until the stability of DSPlayer is improved: 209596 (thread).
aracnoz; lowering "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" helped with crashing caused by mouse clicks, Pressing "b" still crashes Kodi.
Can you give me a hint, wow I can get to see the madVR settings in Kodi?
(2015-04-04, 20:22)hlina Wrote: aracnoz; lowering "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" helped with crashing caused by mouse clicks, Pressing "b" still crashes Kodi.
Can you give me a hint, wow I can get to see the madVR settings in Kodi?

Turn on the option for the madVR gui in DSPlayer Settings. Then, access the player controls during playback and select Video Settings.
Might be a stupid question, but how do I access player controls?
(2015-04-04, 20:35)hlina Wrote: Might be a stupid question, but how do I access player controls?

Enter during playback.
I added a section in the guide describing profile rules and the rules governing their use.
(2015-04-03, 05:39)dbezerra Wrote: AHA! Found the issue. Reverted back to MadVR 0.87.14 and it's fixed.Versions .16 or .17 are messing up with full screen mode (exclusive or overlay), but only in Kodi/DSPlayer.

From Aracnoz:
can you make two logs in debug mode of madVR with version 0.87.14 and 0.87.17 and send them to madshi ... would be useful to have no problems with future vesion of madVR
----

I got more details about this issue. Also posted the same findings on MadVR forum:

1. Only when using DSPlayer (Kodi) with MadVR as a renderer in either Full screen exclusive or Full screen overlay
2. Have luma doubling set (# of neurons doesn't seem to matter)
3. Have the downscaling done by any of the custom pixel shader options (I use Catmull-Rom)

As soon as I change the downscaling to DXVA2 the problem goes away. It repros with version 0.87.17.

Question - do you know what could be causing this behavior only on DSPlayer? Do I lose quality by using DXVA2 instead of Catmull-Rom (looks like DXVA2 equals Bilinear for my NVIDIA card)
Aracnoz,

Another issue I found earlier today: When the path to the video is passed like
smb://<user>:<password>@server/<path>/<filename.mkv> DSPlayer fails to play the video (with any renderer choice)

12:06:04 T:924 ERROR: CFGLoader::InsertSourceFilter Failed to load file in the splitter/source
12:06:04 T:924 ERROR: CFGLoader::LoadFilterRules Failed to insert the source filter
12:06:04 T:924 ERROR: CFGManager::RenderFileXbmc Failed to load filters rules
12:06:04 T:924 ERROR: CDSPlayer:Tonguerocess - Failed creating DS Graph

But when the path is passed like
smb://server/<path>/<filename.mkv> it works just fine.

this is an important scenario for folks using the MediaBrowser (Emby) integration wtih Kodi since this is how they are passing the file. I will open a similar comment on their forum.

Do you see this as something you can fix on DSPlayer side? It works fine with the default Kodi player.

Daniel..
(2015-04-04, 21:36)dbezerra Wrote:
(2015-04-03, 05:39)dbezerra Wrote: AHA! Found the issue. Reverted back to MadVR 0.87.14 and it's fixed.Versions .16 or .17 are messing up with full screen mode (exclusive or overlay), but only in Kodi/DSPlayer.

From Aracnoz:
can you make two logs in debug mode of madVR with version 0.87.14 and 0.87.17 and send them to madshi ... would be useful to have no problems with future of vesion of madVR
----

I got more details about this issue. Also posted the same findings on MadVR forum:

1. Only when using DSPlayer (Kodi) with MadVR as a renderer in either Full screen exclusive or Full screen overlay
3. Have the downscaling done by any of the custom pixel shader options (I use Catmull-Rom)

As soon as I change the downscaling to DXVA2 the problem goes away. It repros with version 0.87.17.

Question - do you know what could be causing this behavior only on DSPlayer? Do I lose quality by using DXVA2 instead of Catmull-Rom (looks like DXVA2 equals Bilinear for my NVIDIA card)

You will probably never downscale an image unless image doubling over the target resolution. The question is whether enabling DXVA overrides other settings (which it can). You can test this by looking at the rendering stats (Cntrl + J) during playback and checking what scaling algorithms are being used. Downscaling, in general, isn't all that important, but there could be limitations I'm not aware of.
(2015-04-04, 22:02)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 21:36)dbezerra Wrote:

From Aracnoz:
can you make two logs in debug mode of madVR with version 0.87.14 and 0.87.17 and send them to madshi ... would be useful to have no problems with future of vesion of madVR
----

You will probably never downscale an image unless image doubling over the target resolution. The question is whether enabling DXVA overrides other settings (which it can). You can test this by looking at the rendering stats (Cntrl + J) during playback and checking what scaling algorithms are being used. Downscaling, in general, isn't all that important, but there could be limitations I'm not aware of.

I use downscaling after doubling 720p sources with 1080p as the final goal. I know I could just opt for Jinc upscaling but I prefer the doubling/downscaling method.
on start of playback it just stopped responding.

with debug on. log as follows in link

http://pastebin.com/E7R0KJW7
(2015-04-04, 23:19)spencerjford Wrote: on start of playback it just stopped responding.

with debug on. log as follows in link

http://pastebin.com/E7R0KJW7

Does this happen on a regular basis or was this a rare incident?

Also, was this a black screen on seek or a freeze?
(2015-04-04, 18:50)Warner306 Wrote: If you can't see the difference in picture quality, turn up your settings. With a GTX 960, you could use NNEDI3 for both chroma and luma, if you wanted.

You will see the smallest improvement in 1080p rips, but the difference is still there. Turn off debanding as it strips away some detail. The same can be said for Smooth Motion. Basically, if you aren't satisfied with your settings, then change to a different scaling algorithm that looks good to you. Jinc3 + AR can appear soft to some people (at least, at 1080p). Jinc4 or Lanczos3-4 might look better to your eyes.

There are hundreds of combinations of settings available in madVR. That is what separates it from many renderers. But I would agree, with some content, the difference is not immediately apparent. After you have watched content for year, like me, I bet you will not want to go back. It is easy to see the difference. Or maybe I just like what its scaling looks like.

I tried NNEDI3 on my desktop (trying to find my preferred settings before migrating them to HTPC), and indeed I can see some improvements when switching back to "nearest neighbor" for instance. Differences between the other algorithms are really hard for me to spot, say between Jinc and NNEDI33. I tested this on a very low res video though (512x384), which leaves me wondering - which resolutions does madVR really shine at 720p upscaling to 1080p?

I also found now that the madVR setting changes are in fact instantaneous to the played video, which I was unable to see on 1080p material. Still, I am getting dropped frames when running with SVP as well, any suggestions on solving that?

And finally I get no subtitles in Kodi to show now that I'm running SVP with FFDShow Raw and madVR..?

In any case, many thanks for your help, I'm sure I will be able to set this up to be fantastic with a little help.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47