• 14(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Reading & Understanding Display Calibration Charts

If you are going to judge the accuracy of a source, it helps to first judge the accuracy of the display device. You could look up a review for your display online and browse the detailed calibration section. Or, better yet, buy a colorimeter and put your display through a proper grayscale calibration or create a 3D LUT with the madVR Test Pattern Generator.

Display accuracy is normally judged through a set of standard tests and charts. Such calibration charts have become commonplace for the typical display consumer through review websites such as RTINGS.com.

Measuring Color Accuracy – Delta E

Delta E is the numerical measure of color accuracy. A color is deemed accurate based on how far it deviates from the original YCbCr or RGB triplet. Delta E takes this a step further by determining how likely the average human vision would be able to perceive these color deviations. This is more reliable and useful for judging color performance than measuring differences with simple statistical percentages. A display with a low Delta E will do a perceptibly superior job of accurately reproducing any content mastered in the measured color gamut.

Relevant Delta E Values:
  • Delta E < 3: Noticeable only to those with good eyes;
  • Delta E < 1: Imperceptible to most human beings;
  • Delta E < 0.5: A “reference” mastering monitor calibration.

Source of Charts Below: LG C8 RTINGS.com

White Balance

The white balance or grayscale is the foundation for accurate color. Found in the middle of a color gamut chart, the white point represents the pivot point for creating all other colors. The most common target white point for display calibration is D6500 Kelvins. The grayscale describes white neutrality at this point: a smooth transition of pure gray shades from black to 100% white without any added red, green or blue. The chosen white point will impact the color temperature of all colors, with proper neutrality having the strongest impact on the secondary colors cyan, magenta and yellow. 

Grayscale accuracy is measured by tracking the balance of red, green and blue at different intervals of luminance from reference black to 100% white. A consistent balance of these colors will create a flat and neutral grayscale.

Relevant Controls: Color Temperature; Backlight/Iris; Brightness; Contrast; 2-point grayscale (RGB high and RGB low); 10 to 20-point grayscale.

Impact on Image Quality: Overall color temperature.

Calibration Target: D6500, Delta E < 1.

Gamma and EOTF Tracking

Gamma or EOTF (Electro-Optical Transfer Function) accuracy has an equally large impact on image quality. Gamma and grayscale are typically calibrated with the same set of controls. EOTF tracking indicates the ability of the display to produce the precise amount of luminance (Y) at each point of the grayscale. If each brightness point has the exact amount of luminance as specified by the reference EOTF formula, the resulting color will be neither too bright nor too dark. This will lead to ideal color saturation for each luminance level and a more three-dimensional image, as dark detail is not crushed and white detail is not blown out — ideal dynamic range and contrast is created.

EOTF accuracy is measured by calculating deviations from the target formula at different intervals of luminance. Deviations are expressed as the averaged gamma reading or as luminance errors.

Relevant Controls: 10 to 20-point grayscale; Backlight/Iris; multi-point gamma (rare).

Impact on Image Quality: Color saturation; Black levels; White levels; Image depth.

Calibration Target: average = target gamma, or minimum luminance errors PQ EOTF. 

Color Accuracy

The final calibration step measures the accuracy of the entire gamut. All six primary and secondary colors are evaluated: red, green, blue, cyan, magenta and yellow. The perimeter of the reference gamut is formed by red, green and blue. An accurate grayscale can help align the secondary colors but cannot help with a display that is undersaturated or oversaturated for the primary colors.

Colors are measured at 100% saturation. A saturation sweep is made at different intervals (typically, 20%) and points are plotted on the color chart. A display with an accurate gamut will line up each point within the target square. This test measures both absolute color accuracy and accuracy across different levels of luminance. The combined result of each gamut slice is calculated as an average Delta E for all colors. Displays with the same Delta E may misrepresent a color in different ways (e.g., one red is too orange, and the other too pink). This color chart tends to be the greatest stress test for the accuracy of the display.

The tint control on a display will rotate the gamut around the white point. While the color control increases or decreases the size of the overall gamut. Displays equipped with a Color Management System (CMS) will have independent controls for each of the primary and secondary colors. 

Relevant Controls: Color; Tint; Grayscale; CMS: Color Management System.

Impact on Image Quality: Color saturation; Hue accuracy.

Calibration Target: 100% BT.709 or 100% DCI-P3, Delta E < 1.

Gamut Volume

The combination of display brightness and gamut size represent the overall gamut volume of the display. This measures the display’s ability to render all colors within a given color space, but it is not a measure of color accuracy within that space. HDR displays with a large gamut volume will best be able to render bright and saturated colors for HDR content.

Good Value (normalized): BT.709 100%; DCI-P3 95%; BT.2020 78%.

Good Value (compared to a reference 10,000 nits HDR monitor): DCI-P3 55%; BT.2020 45%.

Motion – Response Time

Motion has nothing to do with color accuracy, but it does relate to display accuracy. If you want good motion, you want a display with a low response time. This tracks the amount of time required for the display to change from one color shade to another. The lower the response time, the less motion blur is created with moving objects.

Good Value: 0.2ms - 10ms

Motion judder should not be a concern with modern displays. Today’s panels can remove 24p judder from almost any source:

Judder-Free 24p (via matched refresh rate)
Judder-Free 24p (via 60p)
Judder-Free 24p (via 60i)

Summary

Having a calibrated display means content will look closest to the creator’s intent and should provide a common reference to other consumer displays. Remaining differences would come down to display technology, video processing, peak brightness and black levels.

So is there any point to being a perfectionist and calibrating a display below the human visual threshold of Delta E < 1? Of course, the combined effect of a reference calibration across all measures will in fact have a tangible impact on the overall perceived image.

For further proof, see the Sony BVM-X300 OLED Mastering Monitor:

YouTube Link

Further Reading on Display Calibration:

Light Illusion’s Idiot's Guide to Manual Display Calibration

Display Calibration 201: The Science Behind Tuning Your Monitor

Why Use a 3D LUT for Calibration?

Creating 3D LUTs for madVR using:
ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL 
CalMAN 
LightSpace CMS

Recommended Colorimeters: 
X-Rite i1Display Pro
X-Rite ColorMunki Display
so with madvr in debug mode you have not crash?

anyway thx for this report
I tried one more time. I was able to capture a freeze with debug mode turned on. I will upload later. Using madVR debug mode does seem to reduce the frequency of these crashes.
The madVR debug log was not that big when it crashed, so I've uploaded.

Freeze on Stop:

madVR Debug Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LAr9I...sp=sharing

Freeze Report: http://pastebin.com/srvRiUgp
I completed my tests and added the following to Troubleshooting Tips in the guide:

Freezing encountered when a video is stopped can be temporarily fixed by enabling debug mode in madVR. Debug mode is activated by running activate debug mode in the madVR folder. A debug log will be created on the desktop each time Kodi is closed. To turn off debugging, run the install.bat.
What I encountered lately was not a freeze when stopped. It was just black screen, I can press power button on remote then ok and closed Kodi successfully. Maybe separate issue?
(2015-04-10, 00:52)oldpoem Wrote: What I encountered lately was not a freeze when stopped. It was just black screen, I can press power button on remote then ok and closed Kodi successfully. Maybe separate issue?

I get a black screen sometimes when loading a video. Not every time, and the same video may load fine the next time. It could be related.
I meant this happened when stop video , Kodi GUI didn't showed up , at first it looks like a freeze but my tvtunes kept playing so I knew it's not a freeze just got the blackscreen.
(2015-04-09, 19:53)MKANET Wrote: Hi Aracnoz,

Yes, if I make ANY changes in the madVR settings through Kodi OSD during playback, then try to stop media playback in fullscreen, it will lockup Kodi hard.

If I uncheck option for "Manage madVR settings through the gui of kodi" THEN, try to change madVR settings via Windows system tray icon during media playback in Kodi fullscreen, it will also lock up Kodi hard in the same fashion.

If I simply uncheck the option for "Manage madVR settings through the gui of kodi" (or have it checked), it doesn't cause any issues. I actually have to make a settings change either in the Kodi Video OSD OR make the equivalent changes in madVR system tray icon also.

Whatever it is, it appears to be related to the extended madvr settings (not available under DSPlayer general options). I can make general madVR settings changes under DSPlayer menu related to madvr (such as toggling Fullscreen Exclusive mode without having any issues at all. However, I can't enable something like SmoothMotion or any of the other similar settings in the Kodi Video OSD (or madVR tray icon settings).

What do you think might be different about the DSPlayer general madVR settings (like enable Exclusive mode) compared to the settings under Kodi Video OSD?

Thanks so much!

Chiming in to say I have the exact same issue. Once settings in madVR are adjusted (outside/inside of DSPlayer) that has to do with 'enhancements' via madVR doing the heavy lifting/processing, my setup/config freezes. None of the settings are saved because you have to crash Kodi.

Running GT 540M GPU with 347.52 drivers (CUVID is not used in LAV), Win7 x64, Helix 14.2 (Apr. 8th release).

I had to give up for now and wait for a possible fix to continue to test and see what I like by trying some of Warner306 excellent tips and tutorials to see what's the best PQ I can achieve.

Everything works great otherwise. Thank you to all involved for this great advancement in HD playback.
Pürgatöry

- You're gonna need a bigger boat -

It looks like we're using the same Nvidia drivers. Did you have this issue with older Nvidia driver versions? I wonder if there are Any Kodi DSPlayer users who are using this Nvidia driver version AND not experiencing the issue we're having.

@Warner306, what Nvidia driver are you using?

Surely, there has to be something we have different than others who don't have this symptom.

(2015-04-10, 04:24)Purgatory Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 19:53)MKANET Wrote: Hi Aracnoz,

Yes, if I make ANY changes in the madVR settings through Kodi OSD during playback, then try to stop media playback in fullscreen, it will lockup Kodi hard.

If I uncheck option for "Manage madVR settings through the gui of kodi" THEN, try to change madVR settings via Windows system tray icon during media playback in Kodi fullscreen, it will also lock up Kodi hard in the same fashion.

If I simply uncheck the option for "Manage madVR settings through the gui of kodi" (or have it checked), it doesn't cause any issues. I actually have to make a settings change either in the Kodi Video OSD OR make the equivalent changes in madVR system tray icon also.

Whatever it is, it appears to be related to the extended madvr settings (not available under DSPlayer general options). I can make general madVR settings changes under DSPlayer menu related to madvr (such as toggling Fullscreen Exclusive mode without having any issues at all. However, I can't enable something like SmoothMotion or any of the other similar settings in the Kodi Video OSD (or madVR tray icon settings).

What do you think might be different about the DSPlayer general madVR settings (like enable Exclusive mode) compared to the settings under Kodi Video OSD?

Thanks so much!

Chiming in to say I have the exact same issue. Once settings in madVR are adjusted (outside/inside of DSPlayer) that has to do with 'enhancements' via madVR doing the heavy lifting/processing, my setup/config freezes. None of the settings are saved because you have to crash Kodi.

Running GT 540M GPU with 347.52 drivers (CUVID is not used in LAV), Win7 x64, Helix 14.2 (Apr. 8th release).

I had to give up for now and wait for a possible fix to continue to test and see what I like by trying some of Warner306 excellent tips and tutorials to see what's the best PQ I can achieve.

Everything works great otherwise. Thank you to all involved for this great advancement in HD playback.
No, it's not the driver. After taking my system apart one day, I figured out the freezing most likely has something to do with code for the player that can't be fixed by any external tinkering. That is frustrating to the user, but likely true.

If you click on any of the items in the changelog in the first post, you can see the actual code that makes the player work. It is fairly complex, and I'm sure one line could make the whole thing crash.

The only hint as to what could be wrong, for me at least, is that turning on madVR debugging seems to help considerably. Something engaged by debug mode is causing the player to be more stable. This is probably causing a headache for aracnoz because he can't replicate this issue on his test system. But hopefully he can piece together what parts of the player might be impacted by debug mode, which could cause such a crash. I also provided some crash logs, which may or may not contain some information about the crash.

I would advise turning on madVR debugging. You will end up with a bunch of debug logs on your desktop, but the player will behave normally with no performance hit.
(2015-04-10, 08:15)Warner306 Wrote: No, it's not the driver. After taking my system apart one day, I figured out the freezing most likely has something to do with code for the player that can't be fixed by any external tinkering. That is frustrating to the user, but likely true.

If you click on any of the items in the changelog in the first post, you can see the actual code that makes the player work. It is fairly complex, and I'm sure one line could make the whole thing crash.

The only hint as to what could be wrong, for me at least, is that turning on madVR debugging seems to help considerably. Something engaged by debug mode is causing the player to be more stable. This is probably causing a headache for aracnoz because he can't replicate this issue on his test system. But hopefully he can piece together what parts of the player might be impacted by debug mode, which could cause such a crash. I also provided some crash logs, which may or may not contain some information about the crash.

I would advise turning on madVR debugging. You will end up with a bunch of debug logs on your desktop, but the player will behave normally with no performance hit.

I'm not sure about no performance hit debugging mode though, many software suffer performance hit if debugging is enabled. You should observe carefully before announcing that.

I rarely has this freeze on stop maybe 1 in 20s . Never lockup when change madVR settings through Kodi. Only get blackscreen when stop lately (maybe 2-3 latest build of DSPlayer & madVR). It seem to be when Kodi try to change back refresh rate though.
@ Warner306

absolutely you can not use daily madVR in debug mode

can you try if something it's improved with this... i changed something in playstart and stop

edit: new build at first page
Im curious, how did you determine that? There is a problem in the dsplayer code; but theres something our system configurations share that the dsplayer code doesn't account for (something that other Kodi DSplayer users don't have that don't have this issue at all)... whether it's a piece of software or hardware or respective software setting... or combination of them. It may not be possible for us to prevent it if the offending component we share is hardware configuration related. We should still try to find what we share in common to help Aracnoz know where to poke around in the Dsplayer code to fix it.

...let me put it this way... if we were to zip up our entire Kodi folder and all its contents... then let someone who doesn't have the issue test it on their PC, it is most likely not going to have the issue anymore.

(2015-04-10, 08:15)Warner306 Wrote: No, it's not the driver. After taking my system apart one day, I figured out the freezing most likely has something to do with code for the player that can't be fixed by any external tinkering. That is frustrating to the user, but likely true.

Can you guys try the hotfix driver 350.05? Since I found out about it, it has helped me have a lot less issues.

Other thing. If i use Kodi on my monitor, which can't change refresh rates, I have the random lock ups, random freeze ups and all that. Was having it on my TV which can change refresh rates, and had it a LOT less often. And with the hotfix driver I'm seeing even less issues.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47