• 30(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-05-01, 08:20)Warner306 Wrote: I have a question:

I mentioned in the guide that AV Splitter is needed for mkv chapter support, Matroska Editions and title selection. Today, I gave LAV Splitter a try, and low and behold, mkv chapters are now supported. Can the same be said for Matroska Editions and title selection? I don't have any to test.

I am wondering if AV Splitter is needed at all anymore. There is no consequence to using or not using it, of course. But it seems pointless to install AV Splitter if it's not needed.
Hi, I was wondering about the same thing last week. I thought about asking on Doom9, you can read the answer to my question here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1719178
They say it has supported the advanced mkv functions since 0.56.0

Looking at LAV Filters changelog I see:

On 0.56.0 - Support for Matroska Ordered Chaptes / Segment Linking
On 0.57.0 - Added a Popup Menu to the Tray Icon which allows Stream, Edition and Chapter switching

I suppose, considering aracnoz answer as well, that AV Splitter might not be needed after all (which would simplify the creation of an all-in-one installer, by the way).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-05-03, 21:14)ashlar Wrote:

I mentioned in the guide that AV Splitter is needed for mkv chapter support, Matroska Editions and title selection. Today, I gave LAV Splitter a try, and low and behold, mkv chapters are now supported. Can the same be said for Matroska Editions and title selection? I don't have any to test.

I am wondering if AV Splitter is needed at all anymore. There is no consequence to using or not using it, of course. But it seems pointless to install AV Splitter if it's not needed.
Hi, I was wondering about the same thing last week. I thought about asking on Doom9, you can read the answer to my question here:

On 0.57.0 - Added a Popup Menu to the Tray Icon which allows Stream, Edition and Chapter switching

I suppose, considering aracnoz answer as well, that AV Splitter might not be needed after all (which would simplify the creation of an all-in-one installer, by the way).

I amended the DSPlayer starter files and the guide to remove AV Splitter.

Which is kinda funny since 0.56 was released 2 years ago. ( 2013/04/10)
I believed during these 2 years I still have problem with some of chaptered MKV with LAVSplitter though. So unless throughly tested , I suggest keeping AVSplitter around for failsafe,
(2015-05-03, 23:31)oldpoem Wrote:

Which is kinda funny since 0.56 was released 2 years ago. ( 2013/04/10)
I believed during these 2 years I still have problem with some of chaptered MKV with LAVSplitter though. So unless throughly tested , I suggest keeping AVSplitter around for failsafe,

aracnoz suggested it would be safe to use LAV Splitter. He said he had made some changes within the last month to improve its functioning. I know he is using LAV Splitter for testing.

I don't think this choice is all that important. It just makes it easier for new users to get DSPlayer up and running.
(2015-05-03, 18:07)spencerjford Wrote: I believe the plex thing is when plex is trancoding it plays with DVDplayer, and when it's direct playing it plays through dsplayer

No, I'm certain this problem has something to do with passwords and profiles. I was going to add a note about using Emby Server with DSPlayer, but the poster who discovered the workaround failed to expand upon his original instructions. That person would have some idea as to what's wrong. If someone replies again with clearer instructions on how to use Emby or Plex, I'll add it to the guide.
(2015-05-04, 00:36)Warner306 Wrote: aracnoz suggested it would be safe to use LAV Splitter. He said he had made some changes within the last month to improve its functioning. I know he is using LAV Splitter for testing.

I don't think this choice is all that important. It just makes it easier for new users to get DSPlayer up and running.

I've lot of chapered MKV mostly concerts. In my past experience more than a few have problems with LAVSplitter though. While they said it was supported since 2 years ago, I'm still doubt it works properly though and whether it should be suggested to use as default.
(2015-05-04, 00:40)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-05-03, 18:07)spencerjford Wrote: I believe the plex thing is when plex is trancoding it plays with DVDplayer, and when it's direct playing it plays through dsplayer

No, I'm certain this problem has something to do with passwords and profiles. I was going to add a note about using Emby Server with DSPlayer, but the poster who discovered the workaround failed to expand upon his original instructions. That person would have some idea as to what's wrong. If someone replies again with clearer instructions on how to use Emby or Plex, I'll add it to the guide.

Emby just works, IF on the emby server side you set it up to use path substitution. Well if you are using the beta plugin which directly edits the kodi video database. it's pretty slick. just plain works.
(2015-05-04, 07:07)spencerjford Wrote:
(2015-05-04, 00:40)Warner306 Wrote:

Emby just works, IF on the emby server side you set it up to use path substitution. Well if you are using the beta plugin which directly edits the kodi video database. it's pretty slick. just plain works.

Ok. I don't use Emby. Can you give me some instructions (they don't have to be worded perfectly)? That is not enough for me write a chapter on this in the set-up guide.
(2015-05-04, 00:53)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-05-04, 00:36)Warner306 Wrote: aracnoz suggested it would be safe to use LAV Splitter. He said he had made some changes within the last month to improve its functioning. I know he is using LAV Splitter for testing.

I've lot of chapered MKV mostly concerts. In my past experience more than a few have problems with LAVSplitter though. While they said it was supported since 2 years ago, I'm still doubt it works properly though and whether it should be suggested to use as default.

I decided to play the odds and let those with complaints voice them in them in the forums. Removing AV Splitter makes set-up easier and leaves the user with less to reading to do.
(2015-05-03, 01:27)djoole Wrote: I think I might have solved my issue, changing "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1.
Future will say, as the issue was not systematic.

Well, video lag (presentation glitches) seems to be indeed resolved with "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" set to 1, but I still have random Kodi/DSplayer/MadVR crash at video exit.

I'll be posting debug logs of Kodi and madVR as advised next time it happens...
But anyone know how to activated kodi debug logs without having the debug OSD activated? Don't really want to watch N videos waiting for the crash to reproduce, with this OSD activated...

(2015-05-03, 15:09)Shogunreaper Wrote: anyone got a fix for gui lag when stopping video playback?

Doesn't happen when i start videos anymore only when i try to exit out of them, theres a 2-3 second pause before i'm back at the menu.

using default settings.
Wjat do you see in your logs at the video exit? Is there any error?
(2015-05-04, 10:39)djoole Wrote:
(2015-05-03, 01:27)djoole Wrote: I think I might have solved my issue, changing "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1.
Future will say, as the issue was not systematic.

But anyone know how to activated kodi debug logs without having the debug OSD activated? Don't really want to watch N videos waiting for the crash to reproduce, with this OSD activated...

Set up an advanced settings file from here http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#GUI_settings

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>
(2015-05-03, 00:40)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-05-02, 12:47)Bjur Wrote: I have a A8-7600 AMD with 384 shaders. My questions are:
1. Should I use same profile for all video?
2. What should my best settings be?
Have tried jinc3 chroma and upscaling, AR filter on both. De interlace if doubt, banding artifacts low and medium, and smooth avoid judder, dithering ordered.
On 720p material I get interval 41,71 Ms and avg stats rendering is approx 30, frame drops keeps going up in hours as I proceed in video and have 4 dropped frames.

I'm using teamviewer to see my stats maybe it has something to say..

What is my recommendation to the 2 questions?

1) The same profile for all videos probably wouldn't make sense. Did you read the section on madVR in the set-up guide? Section 5 does a good job of explaining the rationale for each setting. Image Doubling is great if the source is 2x or less of the target resolution. Chroma upscaling can be increased when watching 1080p material while image scaling is reduced because it is not needed. 720p requires a blend of image and chroma scaling settings.

2) Your best settings will depend on what looks best to your eyes. As a middle ground, 720p material should be set to Jinc3 + AR for both chroma and luma. From there, you could upgrade to NNEDI3 chroma scaling, go down to Lanczos scaling, or add 4 taps rather than 3 taps to Jinc or Lanczos. Extra taps will make the image sharper at the cost of increased ringing. The choice of settings all depends on the power of your graphics card.

If your dropped frames counter increases at all during playback, you will have to reduce your settings. You should not have any Presentation Glitches or Dropped Frames. It is possible for these counters to increase even if you are under the average rendering queue.

Hi Warner306: Thanks for your reply.
1. Yes I followed your guide to setup the system. I was just a little confused, since you ran Lanzcos on HD3000 on image scaling but DXVA2 on 1080p with GTS450. But what about about videos being 1080p compressed which is not exactly 1920 x 1080p like native BR rips? Does is still apply as 1080p profile?

And also you write "Since using LAV Filters 0.64, however, my need for separate profiles has been eliminated due to improvements in DXVA2 hardware decoding." what do you mean by that, when you wrote above that same profile for all video doesn't make senseSmile

2. What about Live TV and madvr. Is there any progress on that or is it simply not possible?
Couldn't it perhaps be the teamviewer session making the dropped frames to appear, since it didn't increase further?

PS: On my AMD A8-7600 my CPU fans keeps spinning up and down on playback. I read somewhere other mentions that also.
(2015-05-04, 13:36)Bjur Wrote: PS: On my AMD A8-7600 my CPU fans keeps spinning up and down on playback. I read somewhere other mentions that also.

MadVR put quite calculation load on GPU so GPU fans would run a bit higher spin rate. CPU fan could be on other matter but if you use many complex algorithm it could also put load on CPU as well since I think not all calcution can be offload to GPU.
Okay that makes sense. New additional question. When having a video 1916 x 1076 for instance and I create a 1080p profile through Kodi menu it doesn't apply my settings when I make a CTRL + J information. Why is that?
When I have selected DXVA2 image upscaling in Kodi menu it still says Lanzcos 3 (in information window) when I have applied to 1080p profile.
I can change to everything else than dxva2 and the window change, so if change to lanzcos3 and afterwards dxva2 it shows lanzcos3 etc
(2015-05-04, 12:22)steelman1991 Wrote: Set up an advanced settings file from here http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced#GUI_settings

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>

Thanks!
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47