Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-05-11, 16:24)ashlar Wrote: As far as I know, there's no way that a display (unless defective) fluctuates between 23.5 and 24.5.

That's correct. You would get all sorts of frame drops if this was so. If those counters are normal and Adjust display to refresh rate is enabled, then everything should be normal. A person could still turn on Smooth Motion in madVR to make things even smoother.

I think the myth is believing 24hz playback will be perfectly smooth compared to 60hz playback. This is not true. The human eye can easily differentiate the difference in framerate when it is this low. This is a compromise of the TV attempting to fill the role of a movie projector.

There is one caveat to this. Some TV's, I've been told, don't support a proper 24p mode and use some sort of pulldown while reporting 24p playback. This is discussed by this Team Kodi member: 1619043 (post). It seems likely this is your problem.

I've also heard LCD screens are worse at playing 24p material due to its weakness in displaying motion. This poster summarizes this:

"Of the modern display technologies LCD is the worst for motion blurring and juddering, it inherently holds the image on the screen until the next frame comes along, so it jumps instantly frame to frame instead of having the needed moment of blackness between frames to force your brain to fill in the gaps. Depending on how fast the object on screen is moving and if it is an object you are interested in or involuntarily tracking with saccadic eye movement or peripheral vision, it will appear to blur or jump as the eye/brain attempts to do smooth pursuit reflex to track the object."

That sounds like what I'm seeing, an exaggerated depiction of an actual 24hz framerate.

Messages In This Thread
Lockup on STOP issue resolved! - by MKANET - 2015-04-11, 21:59
RE: Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows - by Warner306 - 2015-05-11, 21:23
RE: 4G aware patch - by MagikMark - 2015-09-08, 03:27
Alt-F4 no longer quits - by JeffA - 2015-10-31, 20:38