• 136(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
@Warner306
These values that you suggested for the new filters with 1080p content, on what prospects were tested: Image enhancements or upscaling refinement, I want to try this on my GTX-970
Thanks
@ Warner306

The HTPC update is for MPC users only , or also for Kodi/Dsplayer users?
Thanks
(2015-11-09, 10:50)SALAMINOMACHOS Wrote: @ Warner306

The HTPC update is for MPC users only , or also for Kodi/Dsplayer users?
Thanks

It should works for madvr. But for LAVFilters you'd need to use media rules/filters config to take effect. Internal filters of DSPlayer use other copies resides in dsplayer folder.

Or you could manually copy & override internal lav filters with updated one but it's kinda defeat the purpose of automatic updater.
(2015-11-09, 01:59)Warner306 Wrote: Added to the guide:

HTPC Updater

This is not a DSPlayer tool. But, rather, it is an automated means of downloading and installing the latest version of madVR. The tool is designed to download and install updated copies of MPC-HC, LAV Filters and madVR.

For this program to work, 32-bit versions of MPC-HC, LAV Filters and madVR must be installed on your system. Running the program will update copies of each program. The benefit for DSPlayer users is this avoids the process of manually extracting and re-registering madVR with each update.

HTPC Updater

thanks for posting this. It worked like a charm.

On another note for everyone. I finally fixed my issue with reclock and Kodi when changing refresh rates I would lose my HDMI handshake with the receiver and couldn't play HD audio formats. No longer, I can finally relax on the couch and enjoy the highest of quality video (1080p for me) with the best audio formats.

HTPC Updater

This is not a DSPlayer tool. But, rather, it is an automated means of downloading and installing the latest version of madVR. The tool is designed to download and install updated copies of MPC-HC, LAV Filters and madVR.

For this program to work, 32-bit versions of MPC-HC, LAV Filters and madVR must be installed on your system. Running the program will update copies of each program. The benefit for DSPlayer users is this avoids the process of manually extracting and re-registering madVR with each update.

HTPC Updater

tried HTPC Update, Update is NOT installed in the existing directory madVR, all the files that make madVR are scattered TREE: C
This is normal ?
(2015-11-09, 10:41)gotham_x Wrote: @Warner306
These values that you suggested for the new filters with 1080p content, on what prospects were tested: Image enhancements or upscaling refinement, I want to try this on my GTX-970
Thanks

I am using SuperRes for upscaled content. The values posted are useful for 1080p -> 1080p content. These are image enhancements. Some of them use a lot of performance, however, and remain a work-in-progress.
(2015-11-09, 18:37)gotham_x Wrote:

HTPC Updater

HTPC Updater

tried HTPC Update, Update is NOT installed in the existing directory madVR, all the files that make madVR are scattered TREE: C
This is normal ?

I checked. And yes, the madVR components are just dumped into the Program Files (x86) folder. I'm not sure I like that, but that is how it works. I added this:

Note: madVR components are dropped into the Program Files (x86) folder. This is the default behavior of the program.

The tool might not work for everyone. As stated in the description, it is only useful for updating madVR if you are a DSPlayer user.
(2015-10-31, 17:58)ashlar Wrote: Hi Aracnoz, I fully understand what you are saying. I personally don't know why your awesome job so far hasn't attracted developers interested in helping. But I think nothing from Team Kodi stops you from seeking them. I'm not a coder, so I don't know how one would go looking for volunteers on such a job. I know that if I was a coder I would jump on the chance to help on DSPlayer. Even more so now that a road is appearing for it to be "officially" available as an option (referring to the recent VideoPlayer developments).
I also don't know how would do to recruit developers for DSPlayer, i'm here and would be great to have more than one at work on DSPlayer, anyway some days ago i worked on the dsplayer's code to remove all the useless parts to make it less invasive in the original Kodi code and to adapt to the new test branch that was talking about @afedchin, it's a first step but at moment i think that we will never see DSPlayer in an official release, infact i stopped this kind of work when i realized that was totally useless to continue to optimize without a confront with team kodi members, anyway this it's the branch

https://github.com/aracnoz/xbmc/tree/dsplayer_optimized

(2015-11-02, 23:31)Uoppi Wrote: @aracnoz,

It seems to be precisely the two latest DSPlayer builds that are not receiving the AR message from the stream during playback - not the previous builds.

Previously DSPlayer could read the AR info from the http stream - just like LAV splitter, madVR and DVDPlayer still do - and change AR during playback. Whereas currently even when LAV splitter is set to use stream AR and madVR OSD correctly indicates a switch from 16:9 to 4:3 based on that info, DSPlayer ignores this and continues to display 4:3 (or 1.25:1 according to Kodi's view mode OSD) as stretched to 16:9. Sometimes, but not always, the picture very briefly does change to the right AR but is quickly stretched back to 16:9.

(As there seems to be no way for you to reproduce this, I was also asking if there's any hack or setting to revert back to the previous AR detection behaviour which still worked.)

sorry there is nothing that you can do to revert this behavior, you should find another free stream with the "issue" to give me a chance to reproduce

(2015-11-08, 01:04)Warner306 Wrote: @aracnoz,

madVR has updated and streamlined the Image Enhancements and Upscaling Refinement options. Some options have been removed and four new shaders are available.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1745668

reading the forum seems that this is a work in progress... so i will wait some weeks before to add these new settings, for dsplayer users that want to use the gui i suggest to stay with madVR 0.89.13

anyway i will not release another Isengard build, the next one should be direclty the first Jarvis beta

(2015-11-08, 11:19)tomakas123 Wrote: Its posible to use EVR render with Kodi and DSPlayer, because LiveTV and madvr is terrible quality ?

I worked on EVR in the last few days, i find a way to make it work with Kodi but it will continue to work in dx9, it was too much work to entirely rewrite EVR in dx11, so now it will work by creating his own d3d device in dx9 the Kodi GUI it's drawn on EVR like with madVR, there is only a problems with the fullscreen exclusive mode that at moment don't work
@aracnoz

The official kodi dev team is working hard on a new video player.
As it has to run on many different kind of device, spending time on a directshow based player is completely useless.

Furthermore kodi dsplayer needs madvr, a closed source software.
Recently madshi included new sharpen algorithms. Unfortunately he doesn't want to share the code behind them.

Finally the mpv player that is cross-platform becomes more robust on windows and has almost every madvr features and some interesting exclusive ones.
(2015-11-10, 04:07)geofred1993 Wrote: @aracnoz

The official kodi dev team is working hard on a new video player.
As it has to run on many different kind of device, spending time on a directshow based player is completely useless.

Furthermore kodi dsplayer needs madvr, a closed source software.
Recently madshi included new sharpen algorithms. Unfortunately he doesn't want to share the code behind them.

Finally the mpv player that is cross-platform becomes more robust on windows and has almost every madvr features and some interesting exclusive ones.

Agreed that a Windows-only player wouldn't likely be included in Kodi, but if the code was already available, I wish it was. Moving away from madVR wouldn't improve anything, though. No other video renderer does as much, even if many other players share features.

The attempt to make madVR proprietary is almost certainly a reflection of the work madshi has put into developing it. It may even become paid software when it reaches 1.0, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to use it. As far as I'm concerned, the price tag of the software I use is optional. It doesn't have to be open source to be good or valued. Software like JRiver is paid in the face of free competition like Kodi and Emby and people still use it.

It is a matter of what people want. Many people want a version of Kodi with madVR.
(2015-11-10, 08:55)Warner306 Wrote: Agreed that a Windows-only player wouldn't likely be included in Kodi, but if the code was already available, I wish it was. Moving away from madVR wouldn't improve anything, though. No other video renderer does as much, even if many other players share features.

The attempt to make madVR proprietary is almost certainly a reflection of the work madshi has put into developing it. It may even become paid software when it reaches 1.0, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to use it. As far as I'm concerned, the price tag of the software I use is optional. It doesn't have to be open source to be good or valued. Software like JRiver is paid in the face of free competition like Kodi and Emby and people still use it.

It is a matter of what people want. Many people want a version of Kodi with madVR.

As far as I concern, it is bad that DSPlayer now is madvr only. If it ever goes commercial, dsplayer user had no choice but to pay for it. So wouldn't that unfair to aracnoz?

Not everyone willing to fork money for MadVR though. Especially those who has power-friendly htpc who can't use much of madvr features anyway. Not everyone gonna buy dedicated graphic card for htpc. Most I knew went minipc with intregrated gfx and no option to upgrade gfx.
DSPlayer remains DirectShow, so it has not given up compatibility with other renderers. It could be powered by anything in the future.

But, if not madVR, then what is the point of DSPlayer? DVDPlayer already offers excellent quality with DXVA scaling, especially with integrated graphics cards. madVR works fine with integrated graphics cards and offers an improvement in image quality, albeit small. madVR is unlikely to ever be paid software (likely donation only), but if it was, I could see why users with integrated graphics cards would want another option (EVR?). I would guess most would go back to DVDPlayer. madVR keeps DSPlayer relevant and will be free for a long time.

The burden of a graphics card comes from madVR's design philosophy. It was never meant to be a perfect solution for every user. From the beginning, it was about offering the best picture quality possible. This required the use of algorithms and techniques not available to Blu-ray players, which requires processing -- sometimes a lot of processing. But that is what madVR does -- offer excellent picture quality -- at all cost. It is meant for those wanting to maximize their home theatre set-up, not caring about the cost. Ironically, this software remains free.

That philosophy does not mesh with Kodi at all. Kodi is not meant to be a high-end home theatre experience. But, compared to commercial software, it remains better at what it does. madVR seems fit for Kodi. While meant to be high-end, it is really good at improving the quality of downloaded and low-quality videos. Kodi and madVR are both the best at what they do. That's why they work well together. But you need to be a user that appreciates this, with a set-up that can utilize both.

BTW, graphics cards are getting very small. The most powerful card, the GTX 980, is small form factor and fits into small-form factor cases. And integrated graphics cards are getting to the point they can almost run Jinc/super-xbr with post-processing.

madVR keeps DSPlayer as a high-powered version of Kodi. Otherwise, it would just be another flavour of Kodi with nothing special to offer.
(2015-11-10, 10:19)Warner306 Wrote: madVR keeps DSPlayer as a high-powered version of Kodi. Otherwise, it would just be another flavour of Kodi with nothing special to offer.

This is insult to every dsplayer devs (past & current) to claim that their devotion for creation of this amazing piece of software is "relevent" if not for madvr integration. There was DSPlayer long before madvr integration and it offered many alternative choices & better experience for windows users.

These for examples.

DSPlayer let you play uncommon codec encoded files unplayable in FFMPEG which Kodi based on (provided you have directshow filter for it)

DSPlayer let you use vsfilter,xyvsfilter,xysubfilter instead of internal subtitle engine normal Kodi use.

DSPlayer let you use post processing filter (mostly avisynth to do post-processing). SVP is one of most popular software for frame interpolation that can be use with DSplayer. Not possible with normal Kodi.

DSPlayer let you use Audio Processor which normal Kodi has very limited option.

ETC.

So I'm in the camp that prefer using DSPlayer whether it has madVR integrated or nor. If one day madVR supported was removed, I'll still prefer to use DSPlayer if other renderer available and not going external player way with madvr. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this.
(2015-11-09, 23:21)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-11-09, 18:37)gotham_x Wrote:

HTPC Updater

HTPC Updater

This is normal ?

I checked. And yes, the madVR components are just dumped into the Program Files (x86) folder. I'm not sure I like that, but that is how it works. I added this:

Note: madVR components are dropped into the Program Files (x86) folder. This is the default behavior of the program.

The tool might not work for everyone. As stated in the description, it is only useful for updating madVR if you are a DSPlayer user.

Thanks, If from what I read it seems that this is a work in progress and needs a lot of resources VGA, you just have to wait for further developments to pursue the matter of these new filters ..

For what concerns HTPC Update, I must say that I do not really like to have all files scattered in the Program Files (x86) However, the existing directory madVR is not deleted from the system update HTPC Update, and madVR, is not updated automatic, is always the previous version in action.
(2015-11-10, 11:46)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-11-10, 10:19)Warner306 Wrote: madVR keeps DSPlayer as a high-powered version of Kodi. Otherwise, it would just be another flavour of Kodi with nothing special to offer.

This is insult to every dsplayer devs (past & current) to claim that their devotion for creation of this amazing piece of software is "relevent" if not for madvr integration. There was DSPlayer long before madvr integration and it offered many alternative choices & better experience for windows users.

These for examples.

DSPlayer let you play uncommon codec encoded files unplayable in FFMPEG which Kodi based on (provided you have directshow filter for it)

DSPlayer let you use vsfilter,xyvsfilter,xysubfilter instead of internal subtitle engine normal Kodi use.

DSPlayer let you use post processing filter (mostly avisynth to do post-processing). SVP is one of most popular software for frame interpolation that can be use with DSplayer. Not possible with normal Kodi.

DSPlayer let you use Audio Processor which normal Kodi has very limited option.

ETC.

So I'm in the camp that prefer using DSPlayer whether it has madVR integrated or nor. If one day madVR supported was removed, I'll still prefer to use DSPlayer if other renderer available and not going external player way with madvr. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this.

To each their own. I'm just being honest that I only switched to DSPlayer because of madVR. Otherwise, I would have kept using DVDPlayer. I'm not meaning to devalue any of the work that has been done on the player to this point. But I started using the player full-time when madVR came along. I was using MPC as an external player to play all of my content up until that point and would go back to it if DSPlayer was discontinued.

In the past, DSPlayer was so much about using ffdshow RAW and SVP to maximize your experience. But ffdshow is no longer developed and is starting to get long-in-the-tooth.

I know there are politics behind changing something that has existed for a long time, so I won't argue anymore about the present being better than the past.

madVR is definitely overrated, but it is capable of making meaningful improvements in picture quality, which is something other renderers often fail to do. ReClock is also a favourite for audio.

At the very least, I watch the recorded national news everyday through DSPlayer using madVR. I don't what I would do if DSPlayer development stopped when I use this software everyday and sometimes several times a day. I also edit the set-up guide at least once a week. So it is not like I don't appreciate DSPlayer.

It is just for fun. If madVR ever left, I could live with it. And I'm not saying madshi is more valued that aracnoz. If fact that would be the opposite!
  • 136(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47