• 139(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
UPDATE: Jarvis DSPlayer 16.0 Beta1

15 November 2015 (737db9f)
  • ReAdded EVR as video renderer
  • Added built-in XyVSFilter v3.0.0.306 (DSPlayer version) as Internal Filter for EVR
  • Added parameter "videocodec" to define a <rule> in media rules configuration
  • Added rule priority order system to reorder rule merits
  • Added DSPlayer option to move the GUI into active video area while playback (madVR / EVR)
  • Added DSPlayer option to define visible screen area
  • Updated internal LavFilters to v0.67 (DSPlayer version)
  • Updated DSPlayer GUI to fully support madVR zoom control options
  • Updated DSPlayer GUI to support new madVR settings for Image Enhancements and Upscaling Refinement (madVR 0.89.14 and above)
  • Fixed an issue in DSPlayer that was causing the chapter's name not properly shown
  • Fixed an issue that could cause DSPlayer to crash by stopping during playstart
  • General DSPlayer code optimization
  • Merged with the official master/Jarvis branch

ReAdded EVR as video renderer
when i begun to work to "optimize" DSPlayer's code to make it less invasive in Kodi i had to take a decision on EVR, completely remove the code or do something to make it work again.
honestly I don't had the heart to delete the hard work of those who preceded me in DSPlayer, plus there was some recent request to have EVR back.
madVR will still remain the default video renderer, there are not future plans to improve EVR at moment, if there was limits or issues with previous version there will be also now
I had also some problems to implement the fullscreen exclusive mode so for now is disabled, there were so many things to do that i preferred to not spend to much time only on a single thing
EVR will work in dx9 with his own d3d9 device, the Kodi GUI is drawn on EVR at same as with madVR with a shared resource synchronized with the main application thread

Added built-in XyVSFilter v3.0.0.306 (DSPlayer version) as Internal Filter for EVR
since the current EVR version in DSPlayer don't supports XySubFilter I had to add XyVSFilter as internal subtitles filter for the "Internal filters" configuration
as with the others internal filters it's needed to have a custom build

Added rule priority order system to reorder rule merits and parameter "videocodec" to define a <rule> in media rules configuration
until now we never worried about the merits of the rules configured with "Media rules configuration", the problem has come out with the difficulties to set Lentoid as video decoder only for "HEVC" through the GUI
so by now you can define a rule also with the parameter "videocodec" and assign a priority order, just to be more clear here some example

with these defined rules will be always used lavvideo as decoder because the rule on top match all the defined restrictions and so it will be used even with a file "mkv" that contains a video in HEVC

Code:
<mediasconfig>
<rules>
  <rule filetypes="mkv">
   <source filter="lavsource_internal" />
   <splitter filter="lavsplitter_internal" />
   <video filter="lavvideo_internal" />
   <audio filter="lavaudio_internal" />
   <subs filter="xysubfilter_internal" />
  </rule>
  <rule videocodec="hevc">
   <video filter="lentoid_hevc_decoder" />
  </rule>
</rules>
</mediasconfig>

to make it properly work the rule should be formulated in this way

Code:
<mediasconfig>
<rules>
  <rule videocodec="hevc">
  </rule>
  <rule filetypes="mkv">
   <video filter="lavvideo_internal" />
  </rule>
</rules>
</mediasconfig>

to manage these things and reorder the merits through the Kodi GUI i added a new parameter "Priority order"
with the value set to "0" the rule will be moved on top, you can assign a value between 0 and 9, by default when this parameter is not set the value will be 0.
it's just a system to rearrange the merits, i had not chance to add a button to move up and down the rules because i have to use the templates for the dialogs already defined in Kodi otherwise i cannot guarantee the compatibility with all skins, so why i had to implement it in this way

Added DSPlayer option to move the GUI into active video are while playback (madVR / EVR) and to define the visible screen area
these options could be very useful with a projector setup where there is a screen with a different aspect ratio (2.35.1), in this case by enabling the option "move the GUI into active video area" you will have the possibility to have the GUI perfectly rendered inside the mask

here two pics just to show you the differences

without the option

and with the option

the limit is that Kodi have to render something even without a playback and in these cases it cannot retrieve the rect of an "active video area" from madVR or EVR, but if you want fill your screen with a different aspect ratio also without a playback you can use the option "define visible screen area", the defined rect will be not considered during playback if the option "move the gui inside active video area" is enabled otherwise the GUI will maintain the same custom rect defined in the option
so there are differents possibility to use these options together or only one of them, let me know if there are differents scenarios and if i can make something to improve this aspect

Updated DSPlayer GUI to fully support madVR zoom control options
all madVR options to control zoom functionality are now added in DSPlayer and can be set and modified during playback
these options could be very importants with a projector setup, for example by cropping the hardcoded black bars to perfectly fill a wide screen, plus the new options to move the GUI inside the video rect included in DSPlayer should guarantee a perfect performance in these cases

Updated DSPlayer GUI to support new madVR settings for Image Enhancements and Upscaling Refinement
all new madVR algos to improve the image are now added and supported by DSPlayer (Sharpen Edges, Crispen Edges, Thin Edges, Enhance Detail)

Fixed an issue that could cause DSPlayer to crash by stopping during playstart
this fix should be useful for some addons, for example CinemaVision

General DSPlayer code optimization
I spent some days to read each line of DSPlayer's code written outside the DSPlayer folder to make the integration less invasive, it's just a beginning, more things could be done but not without an hope to see one day DSPlayer inside an official release

since there was alot of new things that i added in this release i preferred to leave Isengard DSPlayer with a status of stable release, so this Jarvis beta should be considered also a beta release for DSPlayer

link at first page
@aracnoz

Oh man, that's sexy
Thanks a lot!
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
Added to the guide:

Move OSD into active video area

This setting may be useful for users of projectors with a Constant Image Height (CIH) set-up. Constant Image Height projection attempts to show all content on a 2.35:1 ratio (extra wide) screen. Content with a 16:9 (1.85:1) ratio fills the height of the screen but not its sides. While movies with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 are zoomed to fill both the height and width of the screen. Thereby, all content fills the height of the screen but not its width.

madVR offers automatic zoom control and black bar detection to work with CIH set-ups. However, the Kodi OSD will remain outside the active screen area during playback. Enabling this setting moves the OSD into the active video area. This only impacts GUI elements during fullscreen playback and does not change the default 16:9 aspect ratio of Kodi.

madVR zoom control settings can be adjusted during playback from the Kodi madVR GUI found under Video Settings.

Define visible screen area

This setting is best used alongside Move OSD into active video area for users of Constant Image Height (CIH) set-ups. The defined screen size permanently changes the position of Kodi and the active skin for menu navigation. This can be used to position the skin inside the 2.35:1 rectangle used by CIH projection.
3. Image Enhancements

Low Processing

enhance detail:

Doom9 Forum: Focuses on making faint image detail in flat areas more visible. It does not discriminate, so noise and grain may be sharpened as well. It does not enhance object edges but can work well with line sharpening algorithms to provide "complete" image sharpening.

LumaSharpen:

SweetFX WordPress: LumaSharpen works its magic by blurring the original pixel with the surrounding pixels and then subtracting the blur. The end result is similar to what would be seen after an image has been enhanced using the Unsharp Mask filter in GIMP or Photoshop. While a little sharpening might make the image appear better, more sharpening can make the image appear worse than the original by over-sharpening it. Experiment and apply in moderation.

Medium Processing

crispen edges:

Doom9 Forum: Focuses on making high-frequency edges crisper by adding light edge enhancement. The thin edge look should lead to an image that is more high-definition.

thin edges:

Doom9 Forum: Attempts to make edges, lines and even full image features thinner/smaller. This can be useful after large upscales, as these features tend to become fattened after upscaling. May be most useful for animated content and/or used in conjunction with SuperRes at low values.

sharpen edges:

Doom9 Forum: A line/edge sharpener similar to LumaSharpen and AdaptiveSharpen. Unlike these sharpeners, sharpen edges introduces less bloat and fat edges. More aggressive than crispen edges.

AdaptiveSharpen:

Doom9 Forum: Adaptively sharpen the image by sharpening more intensely near image edges and less intensely far from edges. The outer weights of the laplace matrix are variable to mitigate ringing on relative sharp edges and to provide more sharpening on wider and blurrier edges. The final stage is a soft limiter that confines overshoots based on local values.

General Usage of Image Enhancements:

Each sharpener serves a different purpose. It may be desirable to match an edge sharpener with a detail enhancer such as enhance detail. The two algorithms will sharpen the image from different perspectives, filling in the flat areas of an image as well as its angles. A good combination for 1080p content shown at 1080p might be:

sharpen edges (0.2)
enhance detail (0.5)

sharpen edges provides subtle line sharpening for an improved 3D look, while enhance detail brings out texture in the remaining image.
8. Zoom Control

madVR Explained: These settings are used primarily with projector set-ups using Constant Image Height (CIH) projection. The projector device and screen size should first be defined in the devices section of the madVR control panel before adjusting these settings.

disable scaling if image size changes by only
If the resolution needs scaling by the number of pixels set or less, image upscaling is disabled and black pixels are instead added to the right and/or bottom of the image.

move subtitles
This is important when removing black bars. Otherwise, it is possible to display subtitles outside the visible screen area.

automatically detect hard coded black bars
This setting works in combination with a number of options as described below.

Black bar detection detects black bars added to fit video content to an aspect ratio other than the source or the small black bars left from imprecise analog captures. An example of imprecise analog captures includes 16:9 video with black bars on the top and bottom encoded as 4:3 video, or the few blank pixels on the left and right of a VHS capture. madVR can detect black bars on all sides.

if black bars change pick one zoom factor
Set to avoid changing the zoom or crop factor when the size of black bars changes frequently during playback. When set to which doesn't lose any image content, madVR will not zoom or crop a 16:9 portion of a 4:3 film . However, when set to which doesn't show any black bars, it will zoom or crop all of the 4:3 footage the amount needed to remove the black bars from 16:9 sections.

if black bars quickly change back and forth
This can be used in place of if black bars change pick one zoom factor. This option allows a limit on how often madVR can change the zoom or crop during playback to remove black bars as they are detected. Without either of these options, madVR will always change the crop or zoom to remove all black bars.

notify media player about cropped black bars
Define how often the media player is notified of changes in the black bars.

always shift the image
Determine whether the top or bottom of the video is cropped when zooming.

keep bars visible if they contain subtitles
Disable zooming or cropping of black bars when subtitles are detected as part of the black bar. Black bars can remain visible permanently or for a set period of time.

cleanup image borders by cropping
Crop additional pixels on the edges of black bars or on all edges. When set to crop all edges, pixels are cropped even when no black bars are detected.

if there are big black bars
Defines a specific cropping for large black bars.

zoom small black bars away
This removes black bars by zooming the video slightly. This usually results in cropping a small amount of video information from one edge to maintain the original aspect ratio and resizing to the original display resolution. For example, the bottom is cropped to remove small black bars on the left and right and the video upscaled to the original resolution.

crop black bars
Crop black bars to change the display aspect ratio and resolution. Cropping black bars increases performance as the pixels no longer need to be processed. Profile rules referencing resolution will use the post-crop resolution.
Priority order

Order in which rules with overlapping criteria are applied to media from 0 to 9. The first rule in a list will take precedence over the last.
  • e.g. 0
- Video codec

Play items compressed with the following codec.
  • e.g. hevc
A sample of rules from mediasconfig.xml is shown below:

<rules>
<rule videocodec="hevc">
<source filter="lavsource" />
<splitter filter="lavsplitter" />
<audio filter="lavaudio" />
<subs filter="xysubfilter" />
</rule>

<rule filetypes="mkv">
<source filter="lavsource" />
<splitter filter="lavsplitter" />
<video filter="lavvideo" />
<audio filter="lavaudio" />
<subs filter="xysubfilter" />
</rule>
</rules>
In the case i have LAVFilters installed by myself. Which settings are used?
@aracnoz
thank you very much for adding back EVR
My windows tablet thanks you too!
Bye,
sdf
(2015-11-15, 23:03)aracnoz Wrote: General DSPlayer code optimization
I spent some days to read each line of DSPlayer's code written outside the DSPlayer folder to make the integration less invasive, it's just a beginning, more things could be done but not without an hope to see one day DSPlayer inside an official release
Apart from the fact that you are still alone in developing this Sad I think that the road for an official release is kind of set. It will need to be an add-on when the new video player stuff will reach distribution. Won't it?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-11-14, 00:07)Warner306 Wrote: Uncheck 32-bit floating point in LAV Audio. Set ReClock to 96,000 KHz sampling rate and 24 bit integer padded to 32 bit.

I don't know anything about SVP. It might not be a good idea to use ReClock with SVP. I can't think of any rules that can be created in Kodi to use SVP. The only way to accomplish this would be set something in SVP.

(2015-11-14, 22:01)Warner306 Wrote: Live TV protocols could include any of the following: daap|rtv|rtsp|rtmp|http|https|rtmpe|rtsp|mms|rtp|pvr.

Video addons use http|https, so you might want to remove those two protocols. I don't think DSPlayer supports WMC as a backend, so you would have to use another backend or DVDPlayer.

Thanks I'll try these out later this week. Not sure if they'll be any really help anymore as it seems my A/V receiver has died and I now have to run my audio through my TV's crappy 2.0 stereo speakers.

(2015-11-14, 02:25)oldpoem Wrote: For SVP you can specify rule name for every filename include (SVP) in filename to have ffdshowraw as extrafilter. While other you have to delete extra filter line.

I'll see if I can put something together in my mediaconfig.xml file to get this to work.
Thanks to the new revision DSPlayer and for the work that you put, at the moment I have to give up reluctantly to this new beta DSPlayer, I overwrite the previous version, and even with a new clean install, Kodi DSPlayer 16 Beta not play my average, in fact just launched the film returns to the previous selection.
My thought.
Perhaps this is due to some incompatibility code Skin MADNOX yet to be fixed for Jarvis Kodi 16.0 beta 1
This is what I can put in balance with the player DVDPlayer working with Jarvis DSPlayer 16.0 Beta1 + MADNOX skin.
I wanted to pop in here and thank the team behind DSPlayer for their work, and including fixes in the latest version for add-ons like CinemaVision. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you all out, and keep up the great work!
Create a Movie Theater Experience at Home
Trivia Slides, Video Bumpers, Ratings Bumpers, Audio Format Bumpers and more...

CinemaVision | CinemaVision Launcher | CinemaVision Service | CinemaVision Content
Hi!

A while ago I have posted the following error:

(2015-10-13, 20:41)hlina Wrote: With the latest Version of dsplayer-Kodi I am getting the following error:

creating direct3d device failed (80070005)

Error message is shown on a black screen when I want to start playing a video.
The problem occurs only on my secondary monitor, but playing movies works fine on primary screen. I have a GTX960 graphics card and the computer monitor (primary display), a beamer (secondary display) and also a TV connected to it.OS is windows 10 64 bits.

Any ideas?
-Thanks!

In the meantime, I have figured out that this error can be avoided when the TV is unplugged. Aparently, my Kodi setup only works propperly on "1st" and "2nd" display, but not on the "third". It seems that my two dvi ports are considered preferred over the hdmi connector, where my beamer is connected. So, when the TV (DVI) is disconnected, my beamer is considered as the second display and not as the thrid anymore. Does this make sense?
Warner306 in relation to the new scalers which are the settings you suggest now for 720p to 1080p and 1080p to 1080p?
(2015-11-15, 21:18)cl0ud Wrote: HI

It took awhile but I finally got ffdshow audio decoder to load in DSPlayer. In Kodi DSPlayer under Settings|Video|DSPlayer I set ffdshow as an external filter but it wouldn't load. I made sure that everything was 32bit and tested ffdshow audio successfully in MPC. I then only stumbled across this by chance when playing around with bitstreaming in DSPlayer. It seems that you need to enable bitstreaming in Video|DSPlayer|Audio Decoder for the streams you want ffdshow to handle. So if I want ffdshow to decode DTS and AC3 then I need to enable bitstreaming on DTS and AC3 which will mean that DSPlayer will load ffdshow for DTS and AC3 but not for other streams.

This kind of makes sense because I think that for those streams that have bitstreaming enabled DSPlayer won't use it's internal decoder and instead load the external filter (if applicable) and simply pass the encoded stream on.

Does this sound right? I mean is this how it is meant to work? or is this a bug or am I simply missing something?

you have to set "Media rules and Filter configuration" in Video - DSPlayer - Filters Management to select your custom filter list, so in your case to use ffdshow as audio decoder, you can follow the guide in Warner306 signature to do that

(2015-11-16, 11:27)Sylus Wrote: In the case i have LAVFilters installed by myself. Which settings are used?

DSPlayer stores lavfilters's settings in his own database for the "Internal filters", this settings can be modified only by Kodi

if you are using the "Internal filters" will be used the internal DSPlayer settings, if you are using "Media rules and Filter configuration" will be used the system settings

(2015-11-16, 12:29)ashlar Wrote:
(2015-11-15, 23:03)aracnoz Wrote: General DSPlayer code optimization
Apart from the fact that you are still alone in developing this Sad I think that the road for an official release is kind of set. It will need to be an add-on when the new video player stuff with reach distribution. Won't it?

I don't know if the final purpose it's to have the videoplayer addons or it's just an our supposition, in any case there are no signals that suggest that something has changed for DSPlayer, i really cannot add more info on this

(2015-11-16, 17:20)gotham_x Wrote: Thanks to the new revision DSPlayer and for the work that you put, at the moment I have to give up reluctantly to this new beta DSPlayer, I overwrite the previous version, and even with a new clean install, Kodi DSPlayer 16 Beta not play my average, in fact just launched the film returns to the previous selection.
My thought.
Perhaps this is due to some incompatibility code Skin MADNOX yet to be fixed for Jarvis Kodi 16.0 beta 1
This is what I can put in balance with the player DVDPlayer working with Jarvis DSPlayer 16.0 Beta1 + MADNOX skin.

are you using Internal filters or media rules and filter configuration?

anyway you should provide a full debug log to figure out what's happening

(2015-11-16, 17:56)CinemaVision-Scott Wrote: I wanted to pop in here and thank the team behind DSPlayer for their work, and including fixes in the latest version for add-ons like CinemaVision. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help you all out, and keep up the great work!

thx,

i made something that should make it work now, i'm waiting for users feedbacks for a confirmation
  • 139(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47