• 149(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Jep - there are differences already. Also between GL and GLES and even on windows between DXVA Rendering and other cpu bound data copying and display. Same for deinterlacing algorithms btw. If something is DXVA only - it's also fine - as it would stick in "that component".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-26, 11:28)fritsch Wrote: But there is no way of merging (unmaintained) thousands lines of code - that doubles internal player structures - and benefit allover kodi. That step would not make kodi more maintainable but a whole lot less ... You would never ever add a second floor onto a broken baseplate - not if you would plan to live in there with your family ... but you would sanitize and repair the baseplate and when that is done you would think of extending giving base ... this is my point - I hope the picture helps.
Jeez... aracnoz was in the devs section asking about the new Video Player development. He wanted to *understand* how to best fit in what you had in mind, he was willing to adapt, he said as much *and* there was a previous reply by FernetMenta that implied a future where binary addons would be doable. If you don't understand the bad attitude displayed in that discussion by more than one member of Team Kodi, I really don't know what to add. Do you think everything was handled properly? Do you think that the tone of the answers was the right one for somebody approaching the team for working on something?

You say that he left because he was overloaded, but it's there to see that he left because of the reception to his questions.

(2015-11-18, 02:36)aracnoz Wrote: anway when i saw this thread the first time I thought that the final goal was the possibility to have differents videoplayer as binary addons

if one day Kodi will reach this result i will ready to move DSPlayer in that direction

To which the first reply was:
(2015-11-18, 08:12)FernetMenta Wrote: One thing I most dislike about the DSPlayer project and projects like dual audio: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192480

I haven't seen you contributing a single line of code to our code base.
And then, quite obviously:
(2015-11-18, 23:58)aracnoz Wrote: I'm not a saint but I do not think I should apologize for what I did

anyway, I can understand your points but honestly I only see the alot of "no" "never" "it's useless and without advantages"

so maybe it's not this time Smile
And yet you think he left because he was tired? It's curious that everybody else has understood that the reason was the reception he got when he tried approaching you (Team Kodi). We must all be wrong, surely.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I will think about that - perhaps I am back next year perhaps not. For the time being - have fun and get your projects going. I need a break and that I will take exactly now.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have been a few days away and have come back to see what has happened. I'm a little confused to be honest because as quite a new user of kodi + DSplayer, I did not understand there was a situation brewing.

If you take the apparent communication issues on the personal level away that seem to have caused this situation then I feel the problems can be solved. I have to say this is not the first time I have seen situations like this in projects that have different branches and it certainly will not be the last.

Because kodi is a multi platform software I can fully see why there would be hesitation to adding DSplayer into the main tree. What we have to remember however is that multiplatform software normally has different goals than a platform pacific application. They normally want the same experience over all platforms. The result is multiplatform software is not as good as software designed for a single platform. This is just the way it is. Sometimes what happens is branches do get merged back into the main tree and then across other platforms but not always. In this case we know the video quality offered by kodi with DSplayer is far greater than kodi with DVDplayer because of its use with madVR for example.

This is where I'm confused, was it always the intention of aracnoz to try and get his DSplayer into the main tree? I personally don't see an issue that its not but at the same time I can understand it being very frustrating if there are communication problems between the devs of the main tree and the branches. Normally these are because of a different mind-set on the goal of the project. If your writing multiplatform software your just going to have to accept that someone can come along and do something better for a single system. One the other side devs for a single system need to understand their are other things to take into consideration which can limit how good the software can be over all systems.

For me personally, I would have never discovered kodi with dsplayer if it did not have madvr support. But I have to thank both aracnoz and the main kodi devs for making it possible. I hope you guys can work something out at some point in the future.

Raz
@Razoola very sane and well put response. Thank you.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Been following this and it seems kind of a typical problem in open source software development. You have people who are unhappy with features or development pace and so fork the project. Of course there is going to be some defensiveness about the the main project. The viability of the fork depends on the developer base supporting it. In this case it was a one man show. That simply isn't sustainable, especially as the dev was working hard to keep the fork aligned with mainline.

The dsplayer fork is on github. ISTM the reasonable approach is to go back to Kodi 11.2 as the starting point and maintain the fork from there. But that requires devs who are interested in this.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
@ fritsch & Martijn

Thank you for your posts in this forum. My labelling of your response as "cold" had more to do with a lack of communication and apathy towards aracnoz more than anything. Users in this forum had been wanting a response from Team Kodi from the very beginning. I believe this is the first time its happened in the Official DSPlayer forum. I think aracnoz's motivation to merge this project had as much to do with pride in what he created as a desire for help.

Its seems likely aracnoz badly wanted some help, so he wasn't always required to be available for each release date. If you don't have the horses to do it, I can accept that. I've already made plans to move on because these things happen with open source software. The hope remains yet another developer(s) will pick up the project in the future.

I'd say to other DSPlayer users to respect aracnoz's decision and hope someone else finds this project exciting. The revival of DSPlayer has happened many times. Having at least one Linux developer see the error of their ways and make their way to Windows would be nice. Kodi development sounds very unbalanced.

Trent.
(2015-11-26, 22:55)Warner306 Wrote: @ fritsch & Martijn

Thank you for your posts in this forum. My labelling of your response as "cold" had more to do with a lack of communication and apathy towards aracnoz more than anything. Users in this forum had been wanting a response from Team Kodi from the very beginning. I believe this is the first time its happened in the Official DSPlayer forum. I think aracnoz's motivation to merge this project had as much to do with pride in what he created as a desire for help.

Its seems likely aracnoz badly wanted some help, so he wasn't always required to be available for each release date. If you don't have the horses to do it, I can accept that. I've already made plans to move on because these things happen with open source software. The hope remains yet another developer(s) will pick up the project in the future.

I'd say to other DSPlayer users to respect aracnoz's decision and hope someone else finds this project exciting. The revival of DSPlayer has happened many times. Having at least one Linux developer see the error of their ways and make their way to Windows would be nice. Kodi development sounds very unbalanced.

Trent.
Seconded, just because other platforms are worse, doesn't mean that they all have to be. Simplicity always wins, but in this case DSPlayer can be as simple as Kodi itself with preconfigured filters, the winner is obvious. The problem with group open-source projects has always been structure, particularly bias.
(2015-11-26, 23:46)XTrojan Wrote: Seconded, just because other platforms are worse, doesn't mean that they all have to be.

And that simple statement just destroys everything! Guess you didn't even comprehend what has been said here. You just kicked all the work every dev has ever put into a platform into the ground and spit on it.

Go shame yourself Angry
(2015-11-26, 23:51)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 23:46)XTrojan Wrote: Seconded, just because other platforms are worse, doesn't mean that they all have to be.

And that simple statement just destroys everything! Guess you didn't even comprehend what has been said here. You just kicked all the work every dev has ever put into a platform into the ground and spit on it.

Go shame yourself Angry

Perhaps I worded it wrong, I was trying to imply every platform has it's own advantages, and using them would be better than generalizing.
I understand DSPlayer has quite obvious weaknesses, but it's overall better in (Windows), than DVDPlayer, It's essentially future proof with potential spaghetticode/bugs being the only weakness.
(2015-11-26, 23:56)XTrojan Wrote:

Go shame yourself Angry

Perhaps I worded it wrong, I was trying to imply every platform has it's own advantages, and using them would be better than generalizing.
I understand DSPlayer has quite obvious weaknesses, but it's overall better in (Windows), than DVDPlayer, It's essentially future proof with potential spaghetticode/bugs being the only weakness.

Yes, the best Windows experience is why everyone is in this forum. They keep saying it is too much weight to lift with a small development team and these features aren't important enough to support in isolation. You would really need to poll the Kodi community to know if this is true or not. We only know what the developers think.

Windows is simplicity to me because I grew up with it. Linux is not. Ubuntu, in particular, is about as frustrating an OS as I've encountered. I wasn't willing to learn. DSPlayer doesn't require I learn specific code syntax to move .xml files or program my Harmony remote.

Go shame yourself Angry

I take it you are the one Windows developer? Poor you. Your fellow developers should be ashamed.
(2015-11-27, 00:00)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 23:56)XTrojan Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 23:51)Martijn Wrote: And that simple statement just destroys everything! Guess you didn't even comprehend what has been said here. You just kicked all the work every dev has ever put into a platform into the ground and spit on it.

Go shame yourself Angry

Yes, the best Windows experience is why everyone is in this forum. They keep saying it is too much weight to lift with a small development team and these features aren't important enough to support in isolation. You would really need to poll the Kodi community to know if this is true or not. We only know what the developers think.

Windows is simplicity to me because I grew up with it. Linux is not. Ubuntu, in particular, is about as frustrating an OS as I've encountered. I wasn't willing to learn. DSPlayer doesn't require I learn code to move .xml files or program my Harmony remote

To me, Linux is great if you want it to do one particular thing, when you stretch it open a bit it's suddenly bad. I'm not willing to waste my time on the Terminal just because I can, nor am I gonna tinker around. I remember running several VPS + Dedicated server on CentOS and it was literally hell since implementing anything new required serious back-end effort.

I'm after efficiency and quality, the majority of the population prefers simplicity and "just do it's job". The reason this doesn't apply here is because they're both the same, with one just being better. The winner is quite clear, to anyone basically.
I also don't understand why no one respects that DSPlayer is future compatible, while DVDPlayer requires major rewrite? To me it makes no sense.
No I'm not.
For me, English is not my native language, it is very difficult to pass judgment on what has happened in recent days on this thread, actually are quite disappointed by Kodi team to this project that does not know to do as integration in Kodi, I close with an aphorism ... hoping that it is interpreted in the right way.

... Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can happen (Kodi DSPlayer)

Greetings.
  • 149(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47