• 219(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Personally I tend to prefer the transparency offered by madVR in displaying what is happening "behind the scenes". The information Kodi provides is not enough, IMHO, to properly judge playback performance. Refresh rates, frames dropped, frames repeated, resizing algorithms... in Kodi this all kinda disappears. Also, with madVR you have the opportunity to really crank quality settings for low resolution files, squeezing out maximum quality from them.

But yeah, for me it's more about transparency than anything else.

As far as decoding performance is concerned, you might be ahead of the curve with DSPlayer due to the ability of following developments more closely. Kodi updates FFMPEG every once in a while (which is fine, really), so it happens that, from time to time, you need to wait a little bit for the latest and greatest.

As an aside, what I currently think is that aracnoz should have abandoned, at least temporarily, the idea of allowing madVR configuration completely from inside Kodi, while keeping the awesome GUI for filtersconfig.xml and mediasconfig.xml. madVR is too much of a moving target currently, you risk burnout by keeping up (although I'm painfully aware that that was not probably what made him stop).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Video decoding with either FFMPEG or LAV Filters should basically end with the same result. The advantages of DSPlayer relate more to madVR and the option to use alternative audio renderers. The speed of each decoder may differ slightly, but it is secondary to the video renderer when it comes to its quality impact.
(2016-04-11, 14:47)axlt2002 Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 14:33)spencerjford Wrote:
(2016-04-11, 12:52)axlt2002 Wrote: Hi guys,
Taking a part this specific point, in relation to the video decoding, which is the main difference between the usage of LAV (Video) Filter with respect to DVDPlayer? So, I'm not referring to the possiblity to elaborate the image, but just to DXVA features that the two alternatives provide.

Lav Filters are generally faster. But if you do use dxva features to decode, you may lose some of the post processing effects you could use with madVR. You may be better off using cpu, as modern cpu's can decode anything. Unless you are looking for x265 decoding, which is still pretty much fast enough on today's cpu's, but a 950 to 960 on nVidia side can decode it in the video card.

Now, in case i'm not understanding you, to make a further point, DVDPlayer can not use lav filters, and madVR will not work with DVDPlayer.

Thanks spencerjford for your answer. It is in fact quite clear that DVDPlayer does not use external filter as well as alternative video renders.

As you correctly depicted, my point was just on the DXVA decoding. Due to the actual CPU processing power, in fact, I'm honestly not expecting such a big difference in the overall performances between the two approaches (LAV Filters vs DVDPlayer decodings), correct? In other words, if I'm not intereseted in alternative video renders (e.g. MadVR), is there any reason to really prefer the use of LAV Filters?

Other than faster fixes to possible problems with decoding audio and video streams, not truly.
Thanks a lot ashlar, Warner and spencerjford for your answers! Really appreciated as usual.
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
In case you found useful my work, feel free to offer me a cappuccino!
Thanks for adding this feature it has saved me a big headache from trying to get the official release to work. I had just installed windows on an older computer to use as a media center with kodi and I kept getting flashing green and red artifacts on any video I played in kodi.
http://imgur.com/a/3ZXEH
Disabling DXVA2 didn't help and neither did disabling vertical blank sync among other option I messed around with. It appeared to be a hardware issue in combination with the DVDplayer. An alternate slower GPU happened to fix the artifacts in the official release but it wasn't worth it. I also noticed DSPlayer had a significant increase in streaming quality over the linux distribution I was using prior. Keep up the good work!

HP-Pavilion GC671AA-ABA a6130n with Windows 10
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
VisionTek Radeon X1550 Series
Why is it the video stutters when OSD is active? Is there a way to eliminate this?

It only happens when the display switches to the active video refresh rate
Same issue here. No big deal though.
The weird thing is madVR (CTRL+R) reports nothing wrong (no dropped/repeated frames, no pres glitches).
(2016-04-13, 10:02)MagikMark Wrote: Why is it the video stutters when OSD is active? Is there a way to eliminate this?

Hi MagikMark,

Are you able to post a video of the issue?

By the way, can you list your setup? OS, video card, etc.?
Light IMDb Ratings Update - Keep updated the IMDb ratings for your movies and TV shows.
(2016-04-13, 11:19)axlt2002 Wrote: Hi MagikMark,

All videos are affected.

Using:

Asus X99 Sabertooth - Xeon E5 2695 - Asus Strix GTX 960 4G - DDR4 16GB Predator - Pioneer KRP 600M (isf calibrated) - Yamaha A3030 - Windows 10 x64 - Kodi with DSplayer - Lav - MadVR - XYsubtitle
(2016-04-13, 11:25)MagikMark Wrote:
(2016-04-13, 11:19)axlt2002 Wrote: Hi MagikMark,

All videos are affected.

Using:

Asus X99 Sabertooth - Xeon E5 2695 - Asus Strix GTX 960 4G - DDR4 16GB Predator - Pioneer KRP 600M (isf calibrated) - Yamaha A3030 - Windows 10 x64 - Kodi with DSplayer - Lav - MadVR - XYsubtitle

Thanks, I was asking such information since I'm experiencing an issue too when the OSD is activated (or when I back to the menu leaving the video ongoing in the background). See this post for further details.

In general it seems that there have been a lot of issues in Kodi passing from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 platform...the develpoers of Windows version expressed celary the statement that they will not go back to DirectX 9...so the only hope is that they can solve the issues in the next releases.

Personally I have an AMD Radeon 6670 graphic card working in Dual Graphic with an APU A8-6500...they support DirectX 11 but some incompabilities with Kodi happen.

Anyway here the point seems more related to when the OSD (or GUI) overlaps with the video. If you see the changelog of DSPlayer development, is written like this:

26 August 2015 (66c524b)
- DSPlayer now uses a shared surfaces queue to show the GUI on madVR

11 August 2015 (bd53e0f)
- DSPlayer now uses a shared texture to show the GUI on madVR

May be is something related to that?
(2016-04-13, 10:02)MagikMark Wrote: Why is it the video stutters when OSD is active? Is there a way to eliminate this?

What happens to the present queue in the rendering stats? Does it stay at 1-2/8 or does it drop to zero?

Low latency mode is used to make the GUI overlays more responsive. But this shouldn't cause presentation problems.
(2016-04-13, 11:48)axlt2002 Wrote: 26 August 2015 (66c524b)

11 August 2015 (bd53e0f)

I don't think so. I have this issue since upgrading to W10. It was OK on W7 even after aracnoz textures/surfaces modifications (that fixed a bunch of other issues at the time).

(2016-04-13, 16:40)Warner306 Wrote: What happens to the present queue in the rendering stats? Does it stay at 1-2/8 or does it drop to zero?

Low latency mode is used to make the GUI overlays more responsive. But this shouldn't cause presentation problems.

I'll look the present queue tonight.
But as previously mentioned, no presentation glitches, no dropped/repeated frames.
Everything is OK in madVR stats.
It drops the present que to to 2 or else there is gui lag and general unresponsiveness to the gui. click. moments later click responds. The end result is if you bring up the gui often the video can get choppy. MadVR has to draw the gui while the video is playing, the gui doesn't draw on top of the movie outside of madVR. Compromises where made and this was the best solution so we could have madVR inside of Kodi.
(2016-04-13, 22:35)spencerjford Wrote: It drops the present que to to 2 or else there is gui lag and general unresponsiveness to the gui. click. moments later click responds. The end result is if you bring up the gui often the video can get choppy. MadVR has to draw the gui while the video is playing, the gui doesn't draw on top of the movie outside of madVR. Compromises where made and this was the best solution so we could have madVR inside of Kodi.

I believe that is accurate. But it is more common that the present queue hits zero and causes things to become really choppy. You should leave headroom in your settings for the GUI overlays. It stresses madVR a great deal to render this way.
(2016-04-13, 11:48)axlt2002 Wrote: Thanks, I was asking such information since I'm experiencing an issue too when the OSD is activated (or when I back to the menu leaving the video ongoing in the background). See this post for further details.

In general it seems that there have been a lot of issues in Kodi passing from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 platform...the develpoers of Windows version expressed celary the statement that they will not go back to DirectX 9...so the only hope is that they can solve the issues in the next releases.

Personally I have an AMD Radeon 6670 graphic card working in Dual Graphic with an APU A8-6500...they support DirectX 11 but some incompabilities with Kodi happen.

Anyway here the point seems more related to when the OSD (or GUI) overlaps with the video. If you see the changelog of DSPlayer development, is written like this:

26 August 2015 (66c524b)

11 August 2015 (bd53e0f)

Found a solution to my problem.

Kodi is configured to switch display refresh mode to match that of the video's. My display's refresh rate is 23.970. My video is 23.976. There is a small difference of .006.

I installed reclock, and viola! Everything is running smoothly. No drop frames. OSD doesn't cause video stutters.
  • 219(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47