• 371(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-03-07, 13:19)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-03-07, 13:11)mclingo Wrote: Now is the worst time to buy a GFX card.

Everyone is going to tell you different things regarding which cards are best. However, AMD cards currently offer the most stable platform with the least fuss, they are pretty much install and go at the moment and everything works as it should where there are issues with 3D playback on AMD card and some issues with custom resolutions and drop frames. AMD card fully support 23,976 so they've always been the best card for me.

If most of your collection is 1080p / 4k you wont need a beefy card either, if you have a lot of old DVD or 720p stuff you may need a beefy card to upscale to 4k in MADVR if you want to add some extra processing.

I am currently using an RX550, it plays everything fine but I cant push some of the high end algorithums in MADVR, as most of my collection is 1080p/4k I dont need to anyway.

However I am planning on getting a better card when prices calm down as I like a really sharp image and I want to use NGU sharp on high. For me the RX550 is the best budget card at the moment if you are looking for zero fuss, I would recommend the 1050 (I have one as well) but I just couldnt get it stable enough with everything and you have to faff with custom resolutions as it doesnt do 23,976 natively.

Whats you budget, do you need 3D playback?
Thank you so much for your reply.. I only want it for Bluray Remux and 4K HDR movies.. No 720p no DVD nothing like that and not interested in those either.. I only need it for the UHD 4K HDR and BLURAY REMUX files. I currently have a Sapphire 6450 and as cheap as it is it performs flawless so I know what you mean about AMD .. I love them and have never owned a NVIDIA before, however everyone bangs on about NVIDIA being the best for movies etc etc... As long as it can deliver seemless 4K and HDR also HEVC codec that's all I am interested in. Also I love a pin sharp image to and would like to use the top settings in MadVR.. Which AMD card would you suggest for this in that case or which is the one your looking to upgrade too.. Many thanks.... 
 Hi, you get more MADVR processing bang with NVIDIA card but thats the only reason to have one if you're not a gamer they are inferior in other ways. I also moved to 4k from a 6450, pretty sure you'll be fine with an RX550 then if its just for bluray and UHD rips, mine works great for those.

If you have the cash get a 560/570/580 for more headroom with processing in MADVR but you really dont need to do any with remuxes, my RX is perfectly capable.though.
(2018-03-07, 15:48)SkankHunt Wrote: Anyone having issues with kodi not properly reseting to 2160 @ 60Hz after playing back 3D/1080p/4K content, sometime it works but is hardly consistent. I feel this is the last major issue for me finally switching to KODI for my media.
 Hi, is your KODI DS gui set to 2160p windowed, what GFX card do you have?
I am pretty sure AMD now auto switches to HDR. That how to information in now dated.
AMD cards are now fully stable with HDR, there is a small bug with 3D but still better than NVIDIA card whose 3D doesnt work half the time and there is no way at the moment to prevent frame drops every 8 mins or so.

The bug with AMD cards and 3D is minor and there is a workaround. The bug is that MADVR has a problem with jumping back out of 1080p 3D 23,976 to 2160p 60hz, it may crash you PC or you may just get a black screen and loss of HDMI.

There are two ways to workaround this.

1. Switch your desktop to 1080p before starting the movie in your player, when it stops it will drop back to 1080p and therefore have no issue,

or 

2. Turn off refresh rate switching in MADVR and use KODI DS instead, you can only do with with AMD cards though as you need to have custom resolutions set in MADVR for NVIDIA cards. 

I now use option 2 and I have a fully stable system for 3D and 4K material.
Many of us use NVidia with no problems.  HDR, SDR, 2D, 3D, all audio and video formats, what ever.  All automated.  No crashes.  No bugs.  No caveats.  No 'just do this and this every time before you play something'.  No cherry picked sources.  Just happy.  It isn't the preferred video card for no reason.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-07, 18:13)brazen1 Wrote: Many of us use NVidia with no problems.  HDR, SDR, 2D, 3D, all audio and video formats, what ever.  All automated.  No crashes.  No bugs.  No caveats.  No 'just do this and this every time before you play something'.  No cherry picked sources.  Just happy.  It isn't the preferred video card for no reason.
 1. Caveat 1 - you need to set custom resolution in MADVR with NVIDIA cards, you dont with AMD

2. Problem 1, 3D doesnt work for a lot of people reliablly all the time like it does with AMD cards, you're one of the lucky few and its far from simple setting it up as some have to use batch files to stop and start 3D, none of that with AMD cards, just works.

3. Problem 2 - there is no fix for frame drop problem on 3D with NVIDIA cards so even if you're worked around or the top two you will have this problem, so you cant be problem free.
I dont want to get into a flame war AMD vs NVIDIA though BRAZEN1 - AMD is just easier to setup and is more stable at the moment generally, that may change but NVIDIA has always had issues with 3D and has never had 23,976 native so its never been the best pure HTPC card for general HTPC users.
1.  You need to set custom resolutions?  News to me?  I never see that single dropped frame in a 5 minute period that is supposed to be the huge problem you make it to be although you might take great pride pointing out to me something we've realized for decades.  So much so, I don't bother with custom resolutions adjusting.  Neither does NVidia.  Nice you can adjust it though if for some reason its relevant to your viewing experience.  I tend to watch and listen to the movie and not my equipment or stat numbers whizzing by.  And yes, I demand perfection.  I guess that's something AMD can take great pride in.  I bow in shame.

2.  3D working reliable and perfect here?  Frame packed, SBS, TAB.  Very efficient.  The batch files I created are not only for what you assume they are for.  But you're welcome to think as you desire and fit it into your NVidia bashing routine.
3.  Oh you want to repeat 1 again.  Same answer.

You can over emphasize retaliatory table pounding deficits regarding NVidia all you want.  Funny reading you go off on your usual NVidia bashing rants and when someone puts in a decent word for NVidia about how it too works pretty damn good following your bashes, you gotta' jump right in there and pronounce fault with different words as if it means something like AMD works and NVidia doesn't.  How quick you forget the real nuisances of the video card tech you prefer and pump on every forum I see you in.  Jeesh, a week ago you were here complaining about your constant black screens and the week before that it was some other hysteria.  When a user asks about choices, you want to dominate and damn anyone who also offers their experience.  Perhaps ask madshi, the developer of madVR what he prefers and why or take a poll at madVR where madVR experts live.  Anyway, it remains the preferred video card technology amongst the enthusiasts who have been perfecting this for decades from what I see, including me. 

Anyone is welcome to defy that trend and go another direction including you.  But this 'NVidia is too problematic and AMD isn't' provided you can put up with these minor problems AMD has and here's the few things you gotta' do to cure its shortcomings that really aren't shortcomings, they're just minor inconveniences that nobody cares about and it only takes an extra minute or so of clicking certain buttons here and there to workaround this ease of use AMD card I use that only has 2GB or memory and can't play all kinds of things but boy oh boy it sure works good provided the screen doesn't go black again, ah shucks, wait a second, lemme' adjust this thingy, there done, piece a cake...... is silly and misinforming.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-07, 19:14)brazen1 Wrote: 1.  You need to set custom resolutions?  News to me?  I never see that single dropped frame in a 5 minute period that is supposed to be the huge problem you make it to be although you might take great pride pointing out to me something we've realized for decades.  So much so, I don't bother with custom resolutions adjusting.  Neither does NVidia.  Nice you can adjust it though if for some reason its relevant to your viewing experience.  I tend to watch and listen to the movie and not my equipment or stat numbers whizzing by.  And yes, I demand perfection.  I guess that's something AMD can take great pride in.  I bow in shame.

2.  3D working reliable and perfect here?  Frame packed, SBS, TAB.  Very efficient.  The batch files I created are not only for what you assume they are for.  But you're welcome to think as you desire and fit it into your NVidia bashing routine.
3.  Oh you want to repeat 1 again.  Same answer.

You can over emphasize retaliatory table pounding deficits regarding NVidia all you want.  Funny reading you go off on your usual NVidia bashing rants and when someone puts in a decent word for NVidia about how it too works pretty damn good following your bashes, you gotta' jump right in there and pronounce fault with different words as if it means something like AMD works and NVidia doesn't.  How quick you forget the real nuisances of the video card tech you prefer and pump on every forum I see you in.  Jeesh, a week ago you were here complaining about your constant black screens and the week before that it was some other hysteria.  When a user asks about choices, you want to dominate and damn anyone who also offers their experience.  Perhaps ask madshi, the developer of madVR what he prefers and why or take a poll at madVR where madVR experts live.  Anyway, it remains the preferred video card technology amongst the enthusiasts who have been perfecting this for decades from what I see, including me. 

Anyone is welcome to defy that trend and go another direction including you.  But this 'NVidia is too problematic and AMD isn't' provided you can put up with these minor problems AMD has and here's the few things you gotta' do to cure its shortcomings that really aren't shortcomings, they're just minor inconveniences that nobody cares about and it only takes an extra minute or so of clicking certain buttons here and there to workaround this ease of use AMD card I use that only has 2GB or memory and can't play all kinds of things but boy oh boy it sure works good provided the screen doesn't go black again, ah shucks, wait a second, lemme' adjust this thingy, there done, piece a cake...... is silly and misinforming.
lol, whatever fella.
(2018-03-07, 02:38)mkohman Wrote: Hey Guys, 

Really sorry if this has been asked and answered before... In my HTPC I have an intel i3 with 4GB rams and I am in need of a new GPU for 4K HDR movies with a new JVC 4K projector I am about to pull the trigger on. I use Kodi DS Player with MadVR and I would like to know which is a reccomended GPU for HTPC use for 100% movies only.. Not into gaming on PC and will only be used for HTPC.. I want to be able to use great settings on MadVR but doesn't have to be the top top settings (however being able to do this would also be nice) .. Can you guys please reccomend me a card.. 

Is NVIDIA the way to go or AMD? I heard NVIDIA 1050TI is a very good card for 4K HDR but I may be wrong... Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you Smile
 Nice to see we're on the same page at last lingo.

Don't be sorry asking questions.  As you've noticed, there really isn't a recommended GPU, just testimonials here and elsewhere.  Is your PJ native 60Hz or 120Hz?  If 60Hz, no amount of dropped frames, however unnoticeable, is going to come close to the judder you will more than likely notice.  Judder appearance is equivalent to dropped frames faster than you can count, like a machine gun.  One dropped frame every 5 minutes seems to be a major problem according to some and why I bring it to your attention.  At that point, the AMD, Intel, NVidia choices become moot.  Lookup 3:2 Pulldown.  Usually users opt to force playback at 60Hz to avoid the pulldown but then face a mismatched frame rate challenge.  Fortunately there is a smooth motion setting in madVR to counter the mismatch that cleans it up fairly well but not perfectly in my testing using NVidia.  I can't speak for Intel or AMD but I'm sure they too face the same dilemma.  If you are using a 120Hz display like myself, none of these problems apply and choice of video card becomes more crucial imo.

If you are looking for something inexpensive, a GTX 960 4GB covers the gamut with ease and you might find a used one somewhere relatively cheap.  Anything in the 10 series should fit the bill as well with the exception of the 1030 which has been known not to work using anything 4k60Hz.  While there is very little offered at 4k60Hz, the strength to run it may relate to some 4k24Hz titles.  I've used settings that push the envelope and will not do 4k60Hz but handle 4k24Hz and applied them thinking I'll never be playing 4k60Hz anyway.  Then I met a very demanding 4k24Hz title, The Hunger Games.  I needed to tone back my settings a whole bunch.  Low and behold I now handled 4k60Hz with ease.  The moral, if you can do 4k60Hz, you should be able to play anything.  I've concluded, there is a 4k60Hz 'Camp' video in the KODI wiki.  While not as demanding as The Hunger Games, it's a pretty good test.  On a side note, I've asked around for those proclaiming their cards play anything they've tried including the AMD camp.  Either they didn't reply, didn't test that video but did go on to say others they can, and some admitted they can't.  Interested to know how residents here faired but as usual will probably not reply for real world tests because they'd rather you didn't know imo.

From the NVidia standpoint, that 1050Ti you inquired is probably a good choice.  From what I've read, it is just enough to push it over the edge and handle anything without aggressive settings which you said you don't require.  I agree, most aggressive settings have very little noticeable improvement if any and could be overkill and mostly beneficial only if you game too.  As a rule of thumb, anything with 4GB or more of memory is sufficient for anything.  Anything less and you run into limitations.  If you desire aggressive settings without going overkill, a 1060 is probably todays best bet although you will pay more for little returned.  Understand bitcoin mining is popular and hardware decoding video cards are in high demand driving the costs up significantly on new and used cards.  Most tend to desire NVidia.

my 1050ti plays:
jellyfish '400' 4k smoothly.
LG 'chess' 4k 60hz 10bit HDR smoothly (looks stunning)(auto switched HDR on/off)
LG 'rays of light' 4k ??bit HDR smoothly (looks stunning)(auto switched HDR on/off)
Samsung 'wonderland' 4k 24hz 10bit HDR smoothly (looks stunning)(auto switched HDR on/off)

i just wish the 'HDR' function was built into mpc-be. or dsplayer.

i dont do 3d so cant comment about that.

so yes the 1050ti is more than capable. i would guess that the 1050 2gig would be the same as i can play 4k files on my really bad 'every day' computer with a 1 gig R7 250 playing at 1080p
Hi there,

can someone compile a Kodi v18 Leia - Alpha Version, please? :-)
Good to know.  Can you play the 'Camp' video too?  #11 in the 4k section  Samples (wiki) unless you have any of The Hunger Games UHD HDR titles ripped 1:1.

Please check from your 1050Ti and your 1050 2GB.  Guessing the two are the same isn't a confirmation and 2160p HDR is much more demanding than 1080p SDR.

Also, some time back you said you were finally successful using the official KODI 17.6 with madVR, MPC - BE and LAV Filters when used with a playercorefactory.xml.  This sounds similar if not exactly the method listed in my guide although you gave no hint of also using the .bats I supply for 3D, probably because you are not interested in 3D?  You said you were anxious to use the DSPlayer method here and see it too works well for you and would report back.  Did you happen to follow through yet?  Interested to read your conclusions.

Thank you for the detailed information really appreciate it .. The projector is a JVC x5900 so I know thats's good.. I understand I need to purchase a 18gbps HDMI 2.0 cable that's ok, the processor I have is the Anthem AVM60 which supports 4K HDR and has passthrough which is also ok.. So the 1050ti was the card I had on my mind anyway.. However is there anything else you would reccomend with madVR or would you say this is all I need if I am watching only Blur Ray movies in 4K and HDR? Thanks.. 

Also I have a Zotac H55 motherboard (https://www.zotac.com/dk/product/mainboa...5-itx-wifi) can you please advise if this is ok? or if not which is recomended.. Thank you.
Your PJ does 96Hz.  This is good compared to 60Hz.  You don't need a special cable for short runs like 6'.  Anything longer you might need something special.  I don't think the CPU or MB will be a problem?  You can let us know.  The GPU does the heavy processing but the CPU and MB have to run it.  That miniature form factor MB and Anthem CPU is beyond my knowledge if it can unharness the GPU sufficiently.  Can't comment specifically on either.  I use Intel and Gigabyte with local drives in ATX format.  Consider an SSD and perhaps overclocking the GPU when using anything under 4k for a little extra free oomph without adding more heat.  When using 4k source only, keep madVR at lowest luma as there is nothing to upscale.  Concentrate more on chroma.  The 1050Ti will probably do super-xbr and maybe even NGU with difficult decoding titles.  Hand it to your PJ and let it do the rest.

• 371(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47