• 373(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Because when you use dual output from the video card, one for audio, one for video, I think you create 2 windows desktops and if you don't know how to deal with 2 desktops simultaneously, you will probably get all the new problems you incurred.  Did you not relate that your problems started when you tried to work with your antiquated AVR again?  Be patient.  Wait for your compliant AVR, load your known perfectly working setup, back it up, then test DSPlayer in case it doesn't perform as well because we'd like to know if it performs well or not.  That's why we're helping you.  This constant posting of problems after you had a working setup are the direct result of your undoing and I don't mind helping you until it gets repetitive.  Also posting problems offering no reason why you created them other than they just appeared out of the blue and no one following up to correct you after careful diagnosing once again, makes it look like there are malfunctions and new readers run the other way assuming they will have them too.  I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at.  Looking forward to your DSPlayer results vs what you should have working perfectly now.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-09, 18:00)Bibio Wrote: i'm not using windows 7. i'm using windows 10 latest creators. i was using windows 7 on the HTPC before going 4k, i'm now using Windows 10.

before going 4k. i was using windows 7+kodi with no external player i had years of trouble free playback.

but as you say windows 7 is old and i very much doubt that it would support 4k+HDR playback. i might try it for a giggle :-)

everything was working but now its not :-(
only thing i messed about with was trying to get HD audio working via another hdmi port on the 1050ti (lets call it HDMI 2) connected to my amp. while another port on the 1050ti (lets call it HDMI 1) was connected to the tv.
this did not work no matter how i configured things. possibly HDCP 2.2 kicking in and messing things up.. i dont know.

i'll get everything hooked up with the new amp later tonight and do a fresh install again and see what happens. new amp is 4k, HDR and HDCP 2.2 compliant.
There can be quite a few variables for getting smooth playback as you know, to help rule things out i'd start with a fresh install of MADVR, LAV filters and MPC-HC, then configure other players you might want once you've got that working as it should.

- When you've got MADVR up and running remember to check DIRECT3D 11 for HDR but leave FSE unticked. (remember to turn it off in DS as well and turn on DIRECT3D11 in DS too) You'll also need a custom res for 1080p23 and 2160p23 created in MADVR but dont bother trying to do this in the NVIDIA drivers, there shouldnt be any need.

- With regard to KODI DS. Set your GUI as 2160p but enable windowed mode.

- Make sure you have refresh rate switching enabled in MADVR but disabled in DS

- leave all other settings are default in MADVR.

- LAV - just use COPYBACK for now, you can experiment with others later.

- set your desktop as YBCR 4:2:2 for now, just until you get everything setup, you can play around with 4:4:4 and profiles and other stuff once you've got a stable system, setting it llike this should prevent any switching or bandwidth issues that might crop up.

I also have an NVIDIA 1050 which I use in my Music Studio, its also running a 4kTV. I dont use this for movies but I could set this up if you need me to test anything but it might be couple of days before I get chance.

BE AWARE - not all HDMI 2.0 cables are what they say they are, dont buy cheap, some are only 10gbps but still have HDMI 2.0 spec, you need high quality 18gbps as a minumum and ideally they need to be under 3 meters.

Sure you know most of this though fella, hope things go well this evening !
This is very useful information.. Thank you soon much.. What I would like to ask you is which GPU do you use for 4K HDR movie's? I was thinking of purchasing a 1050ti would that's be suffice or ist amd recommend or whichever model nvidia ist recommended? Thank you so much..
I have an issue. I'm using madVR to play 4K HDR on a FullHD SDR screen. It works perfectly until subtitles appear on the screen. After that playback becomes somewhat jerky, it seems there are lots of dropped frames even without subtitles on the screen.
Is it the known issue? Does it have a solution?
(2018-03-10, 01:15)arabesc Wrote: I have an issue. I'm using madVR to play 4K HDR on a FullHD SDR screen. It works perfectly until subtitles appear on the screen. After that playback becomes somewhat jerky, it seems there are lots of dropped frames even without subtitles on the screen.
 Same issue for me.
think i have found the culprit. madVR...

i turned everything off in madVR including resolution changer and the only thing that i kept on was the HDR passthrough.

i set up MPC-BE to change resolution and added the appropriate ones to the list. this works much better but i still have one bug. occasionally the resolution of kodi will drop to 800x600 when i exit the external player after playing HDR content. so far all other content seems fine.

without using madvr everything works perfect but obviously no HDR switching of 4k content.

i'm using the latest build of madvr and i would be interested to know from the people having no problems what build version of madvr they are using.

it might be an HDMI cabling issue so i will try different ones tonight. the ones i'm using are medium quality high speed with ferrite cores on them and were supplied by sky, virgin and oppo. i have only ever bought HDMI2 high speed as they were used for 3d 1080p before the swap to 4k.

yes the new amp passes HDR :-) so now the whole chain is HDR and HTPC 2.2.

more testing tonight...
delete
(2018-03-10, 01:15)arabesc Wrote: I have an issue. I'm using madVR to play 4K HDR on a FullHD SDR screen. It works perfectly until subtitles appear on the screen. After that playback becomes somewhat jerky, it seems there are lots of dropped frames even without subtitles on the screen.
 Hi, log this on the MADVR forum, there are a few issues that could cause this, people will want to know what CPU/GPU and windows versions etc you are using and you settings.
(2018-03-10, 15:33)Bibio Wrote: think i have found the culprit. madVR...

i turned everything off in madVR including resolution changer and the only thing that i kept on was the HDR passthrough.

i set up MPC-BE to change resolution and added the appropriate ones to the list. this works much better but i still have one bug. occasionally the resolution of kodi will drop to 800x600 when i exit the external player after playing HDR content. so far all other content seems fine.

without using madvr everything works perfect but obviously no HDR switching of 4k content.

i'm using the latest build of madvr and i would be interested to know from the people having no problems what build version of madvr they are using.

it might be an HDMI cabling issue so i will try different ones tonight. the ones i'm using are medium quality high speed with ferrite cores on them and were supplied by sky, virgin and oppo. i have only ever bought HDMI2 high speed as they were used for 3d 1080p before the swap to 4k.

yes the new amp passes HDR :-) so now the whole chain is HDR and HTPC 2.2.

more testing tonight...
 Hi, i've kind of lost track of what problems you are having now you have your new amp in place, can you give us an update of exactly whats not working or working properly?
(2018-03-09, 19:58)mkohman Wrote: This is very useful information.. Thank you soon much.. What I would like to ask you is which GPU do you use for 4K HDR movie's? I was thinking of purchasing a 1050ti would that's be suffice or ist amd recommend or whichever model nvidia ist recommended? Thank you so much..
 At this risk of people wetting their nickers again I personally recommend AMD RX cards as they have fewer current issues that NVIDIA cards and are easier to setup for people who are just getting into setting up a HTPC properly for the first time. Obviously anyone can drop a card into a pc, install MPC-HC and start playing movies but if you want the best, smoothest picture you can then you need to dig deeper into MADVR, LAV filters and DS.

If you are a total noob then AMD is your best bet as you can install the card and get it working with the minimum of fuss, even with AMD card their is quite a bit to config and there are a couple of issues you need to be aware of. There is a minor issue with 3D playback which I have given a workaround for and a new issue only I seem to have at the moment which you are unlikely to have so I wont bore you with. Read back further for a more detailed view on NVIDIA cards and their issues.

NVIDIA cards are generally more powerful than AMD cards, if you are planning any gaming at all one the same PC get a 1060 if your budget will stretch. Bang for buck they are better but for me there are just to many hurdles to jump over for noobs and for people who want a very simple reliable setup. 

Obviously most this is subjective but I strongly believe that AMD cards are objectively easier to setup, if you are and intermediate noob like me and you dont use 3D then maybe NVIDIA might be your best bet, hard to say really. If you want to play safe get an AMD I would say.

My current weapon of choice is a lowly RX550 its powerful enough to play anything I throw at it with a few rendering tools added to maximize picture quality, I will be picking up a 470/48/570/580 when the bottom finally falls out of the market.
i'm using kodi 17.6 Krypton x86+madVR+MPC-BE

things are working a lot better now that i have:
turned everything off in madvr except, HDR passthrough and D3D11.
i'm now using mpc-be to do the resolution switching and set up profiles for such.

with the above i'm getting pretty much perfect playback of SD and HD but with 4k+HDR, kodi will occasionally drop resolution to 900x800 when i exit full screen playback in mpc-be and this results in the desktop resolution being dropped as well.
default resolution is 3840x2160x60hz this includes mpc-be and kodi.
something is breaking resolution on full screen exit of external player.

if i just use mpc-be+madvr i get no problems. its when i use mpc-be+madvr as an external player inside kodi i'm getting the problems.

if i let madvr do the resolution switching i have the same problems as before further up in the thread.

i have tried kodi ds+madvr but its a loooot worse.

just one niggle to sort and i'll have perfect playback :-)
Here is what I do.  It is different than what others suggest and I am in the wrong forum but just trying to help you so you quit writing that things don't work and so and so is to blame.  Do exactly this.  If it doesn't work for you too, then change back to what semi works for you and you'll have to sort out the rest on your own.  Don't assume you can change or omit something because it doesn't apply to you.

Player settings/Videos:
Make sure the setting in KODI is checked for 'use a fullscreen window'.
Make sure the setting in KODI is checked for 'Match refresh rates'.
Make sure the setting in KODI is unchecked for 'sync playback to display'.
Makes sure the setting in KODI is unchecked for 'minimize black bars'.
Make sure the setting in KODI is checked for 'allow hardware acceleration for DXVA2'.
Make sure the setting in KODI is set to 2160p resolution and that in Nvidia control panel resolution it is also set to 2160p 60Hz. 

Use NVidia driver 385.69 clean installed meaning prior to installing, existing driver is a generic MS that installed during reboot after uninstalling the driver and software and tuned Windows not to auto download drivers or apps explained in detail to you earlier.

Player settings/Discs:
Bluray playback mode is 'Show simplified menu'.

In MPC-BE, 'Play tab at top',  select 'after playback'.  Select 'do nothing' for the 'once' area.  Then 'Exit' in the 'every time' area.
Under options/video/fullscreen, check Launch files in fullscreen.  Under 'fullscreen monitor' select 'current'.  Uncheck 'use autochange fullscreen'.
Under options External filters.  Select LAV audio decoder, splitter, splitter source and video decoder.  Set them to 'Prefer'.  Also select madVR and set to prefer.  In the 'video' tab select madVR as the renderer.

Install LAV filters even though you think you don't need them.  Use D3D11/automatic.  Check all the resolutions and use 'ordered dithering'.

Use x64 LAV filters and MPC-BE latest nightlies provided your PC is x64.  KODI official 17.6 x86.

In madVR 0.92.12:
Devices/display connected to your AVR expand to display modes.  Check switch to matching display mode when player goes fullscreen.  Check restore original display mode when player is closed.  In 'list all display modes madvr may switch to:  copy and paste this and don't change or add anything:
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p59, 2160p60
In the rendering/general settings tab, check everything except delay playback... and enable windowed overlay....
Dithering tab is 'ordered'.

Use one of my playercorefactory.xml's and the .bat(s) if things still don't work using your own.  I am certain following these directions explicitly will perform 100% of basic setup for you using your NVidia 1050Ti.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hi Guys,

I have always owned AMD cards.. I am about to upgrade my projector to a JVC x5900 to get 4K HDR 10 and 12bit ...

What I wanted to know is which card would be best for my HTPC with DSPlayer and Madvr?  I have been told Nvidia is the way to go and have been suggested these two cards:

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M6ZANMP/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_gZbPAb0F772B9

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti WF2 OC 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MG15JZS/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_x1bPAbCWHZDQ6

This also looks like a nice AMD card:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte...s-card?v=c

I currently have a small HTPC case with a Zotac H55-ITX motherboard and a 300w power suppley currently with a Sapphire 6450 card which has been brilliant with 1080p content.

Can anyone who knows more about these things please advise me which is the best card to get within that price range.. AMD or NVIDIA? 10 and 12bit 4K is very important and maybe some 3D too but I want a smooth playback with no issues and good settings on MadVR... All my content will be 1080p Bluray Remux or 2160p 4K HEVC movies so no 720p or DVD only high quality stuff.

Would really appreciate yor help.. Prefereble a card that doesn't need power from the power supply but if it meant that it will criple the performance then I can get a new power supply no problem..

Many thanks
(2018-03-10, 17:14)mclingo Wrote:
 Hi, log this on the MADVR forum, there are a few issues that could cause this, people will want to know what CPU/GPU and windows versions etc you are using and you settings.
I've just registered there and have to wait 5 days before I will be allowed to leave a comment :\
I've investigated the issue further, checked the frame stats with and without subtitles - I see no difference in numbers at all, but there's huge difference in playback smoothness. And there are actually no dropped frames, the playback just looks as if there are lots of them.
(2018-03-10, 18:03)Bibio Wrote: i'm using kodi 17.6 Krypton x86+madVR+MPC-BE

things are working a lot better now that i have:
turned everything off in madvr except, HDR passthrough and D3D11.
i'm now using mpc-be to do the resolution switching and set up profiles for such.

with the above i'm getting pretty much perfect playback of SD and HD but with 4k+HDR, kodi will occasionally drop resolution to 900x800 when i exit full screen playback in mpc-be and this results in the desktop resolution being dropped as well.
default resolution is 3840x2160x60hz this includes mpc-be and kodi.
something is breaking resolution on full screen exit of external player.

if i just use mpc-be+madvr i get no problems. its when i use mpc-be+madvr as an external player inside kodi i'm getting the problems.

if i let madvr do the resolution switching i have the same problems as before further up in the thread.

i have tried kodi ds+madvr but its a loooot worse.

just one niggle to sort and i'll have perfect playback :-)
Hi, junk the external player, you dont need it, everything plays fine in DS, it will definitely be more stable as it wont have to jump in and out of windows, I didnt realise you were using an external player with DS, there isnt really any point, you might as well just use stock KODI if you are using an external player.
  • 373(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47