• 375(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-03-12, 12:36)ashlar Wrote:
(2018-03-07, 18:26)mclingo Wrote: I dont want to get into a flame war AMD vs NVIDIA though BRAZEN1 - AMD is just easier to setup and is more stable at the moment generally, that may change but NVIDIA has always had issues with 3D and has never had 23,976 native so its never been the best pure HTPC card for general HTPC users.
 It's been easier to setup for you. Nothing more. Also, as far as 23,976 "native" refresh is concerned, it makes no sense whatsoever. You not necessarily aim for 23,976 for smooth playback, as you need to take into consideration the audio clock.
most general users, myself included will be aiming for 23,976 and AMD cards have the easiest route to this, and 3D playback. I feel AMD does the basics better, NVIDIA has more grunt for high end users who need more tools to throw at playback.
Right.. So in the end I bought this... Sapphire RX560 4GB I hope its OK for 4K HDR playback...

Although my motherboard is a Zotac H55 Mini ITX motherboard which I think is PCI-E x16 version 1 so may not really be sufficient.. Any ideas? I was hoping not to upgrade the motherboard etc but if I need to I will, then will need to also get ram and CPU.. Would like some help on that please.. Thank you.. Image
I think it should work fine in there, its a full size PCI slot, what makes you think it wont work, will it fit in your case?

i'm using a now ageing 1155 board with an i7 2700k
Yeah my case is silverstone sg06 so have the space.. I have a 300w sfx psu it came with.. I only power 1 small 40gb ssd so I think that should be OK despite saying reccomend 400w?

I think the card will work but it's a pci3 card in a pci1 x16 slot so it won't be the full power I think.. That's my understanding...
should work albeit with a performance drop, hard to say how that will affect it until you get it up and running, you might be able to pick up a later 1156 board with a PCI 2.0 slot if you didnt want to change your whole rig.
here is a basic setup doc, i've probably missed some stuff and its full of grammatical errors but it should help get you going on your new card when it arrives.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czkhgsqride3a4....docx?dl=0

Happy to update this if anyone feels i've missed something important.
That's very helpful. Thank you so much.. [emoji106]
(2018-03-12, 13:53)mclingo Wrote:
(2018-03-12, 12:36)ashlar Wrote:
(2018-03-07, 18:26)mclingo Wrote: I dont want to get into a flame war AMD vs NVIDIA though BRAZEN1 - AMD is just easier to setup and is more stable at the moment generally, that may change but NVIDIA has always had issues with 3D and has never had 23,976 native so its never been the best pure HTPC card for general HTPC users.
 It's been easier to setup for you. Nothing more. Also, as far as 23,976 "native" refresh is concerned, it makes no sense whatsoever. You not necessarily aim for 23,976 for smooth playback, as you need to take into consideration the audio clock. 
most general users, myself included will be aiming for 23,976 and AMD cards have the easiest route to this, and 3D playback. I feel AMD does the basics better, NVIDIA has more grunt for high end users who need more tools to throw at playback. 
 Most general users are doing it wrong, then. So I would not use that as a basis to provide suggestions to another user.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
say what?, playing a movie at its intended frame/refresh rate is wrong how exactly?
I must admit.. I have never ever had any issues with video or sound what so ever when playing Full 1080p Bluray Remux movies and they are big files (approx 30GB) .. All have shown 23,9... fps which is correct.. so that was one of the reasons I went with the RX560 and from what I have been reading.. even this card is apparently an overkill so I hope I should be ok.

As I said previously I won't be upscaling any videos other than my Full HD 1080p Bluray high bitrate movies to 4K and the 4K HDR movies will be played natively so fingers crossed should be ok Smile
You put A LOT of emphasis on how terrible NVidia is at matching frame rates.  Going as far stating the one and only single frame that drops once every 5 minutes is a major concern that somehow makes AMD superior and NVidia non-usable.  It's also been stated that frame drop is not even noticed except in a stat logging errors.  Furthermore, this death warrant only happens for those who don't desire to tune their video card along with all the other tunes offered in the OEM control panel.  Does AMD offer the same extensive control of the driver settings or do you have to go through further steps and obtain and install to gain these same sort of refinements?  I assume not because you've stated repeatedly AMD is so much easier to do everything.  Does this also mean very little is offered in the way of adjustments in comparison to NVidia simplifying things?  Back to the frame drop 'problem'.  I didn't even realize it until reviewing old pictures included in my guide a minute ago.  One specifically shows a single frame drop every 6.77 hours and the custom resolution tool for OCD stat watching fanatics wasn't even introduced yet.  Unless one dropped frame in all your 6 hour long movie titles is enough to make you explode, I don't see the relevance honestly.  I know their is long list of problems you have using the card you state is perfect while denouncing others.  I don't think you tell all.  Out of general curtesy, and be honest, can you presently (in use at this time) match every 'demand' that is met from my previous post?  If you'd rather not go into detail, a simple yes or no will suffice although I'm fond of details.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-03-12, 21:00)brazen1 Wrote: You put A LOT of emphasis on how terrible NVidia is at matching frame rates.  Going as far stating the one and only single frame that drops once every 5 minutes is a major concern that somehow makes AMD superior and NVidia non-usable.  It's also been stated that frame drop is not even noticed except in a stat logging errors.  Furthermore, this death warrant only happens for those who don't desire to tune their video card along with all the other tunes offered in the OEM control panel.  Does AMD offer the same extensive control of the driver settings or do you have to go through further steps and obtain and install to gain these same sort of refinements?  I assume not because you've stated repeatedly AMD is so much easier to do everything.  Does this also mean very little is offered in the way of adjustments in comparison to NVidia simplifying things?  Back to the frame drop 'problem'.  I didn't even realize it until reviewing old pictures included in my guide a minute ago.  One specifically shows a single frame drop every 6.77 hours and the custom resolution tool for OCD stat watching fanatics wasn't even introduced yet.  Unless one dropped frame in all your 6 hour long movie titles is enough to make you explode, I don't see the relevance honestly.  I know their is long list of problems you have using the card you state is perfect while denouncing others.  I don't think you tell all.  Out of general curtesy, and be honest, can you presently (in use at this time) match every 'demand' that is met from my previous post?  If you'd rather not go into detail, a simple yes or no will suffice although I'm fond of details.
 good god man let it go, i've explained in detail the minor issues i have with my card, i'm not hiding anything, I dont have shares in AMD I'm just acutely aware of the differences as I have both cards, something you do not so I appear to have an advantage over you in the recommendation stakes.

I have nothing to gain from recommending AMD cards at all, i'm not a fan boy, i actually bought a 1060 first but could not solve my issues so I bought an RX480, then decided I needed to cut down on my power consumption and bought a 1050, I then couldnt solve the problems with at so I bought an RX 550 so I have quite a unique take on recent cards and their performance. I'm giving what I feel is my honest opinion thats all, no idea why you keep losing your sh!t, what its to you, why do you care who buys what cardHuh

The point I am making about AMD cards relating to refresh rates and frame drops is.... well, there isnt any, you dont have to do anything to this card to perform as it should, where you do with NVIDIA cards you have to set custom resolutions. Once these are set, granted the card perform identically unless you are playing 3D where you'll get an unacceptable frame drop or repeat every 4-8 minutes at the moment, this is the unacceptable frame drop I was referring to, I couldnt live with it, that and 3D not working most of the time, this is why I dumped both NVIDIA cards in favour of the AMDs, I really did give NVIDIA a go.
update. i decided that a fresh set of cables was in order so they will be here in a few days.

in the meantime i have given up trying to get things playing right as its doing my head in. thing is i have a BSc in networking (Napier university Edinburgh) and was cisco qualified with a fist full of microsoft cert etc.etc so i do know my way around a computer and usually figure things out easily.

the reason i went with the 1050ti was that i could not find any information that AMD cards done htpc2.2 or hdr but plenty info on the net about Nvidia. AMD are not to forthcoming about specs.

i dont care what card i use as long as it works.

i dont want to sit there and extract the last tiny pixel of picture quality, i just want things to work and sit down to watch movies without glitches using kodi as a front end for file browsing.

ooohhh and i never buy computer products from ebay.. been there done that. i use mainly ebuyer as i know they are genuine products.
Good point.. Well I will assess and I will send it back if it isn't authentic but I didn't know they would make fake cards... Also the seller is reputable with thousands of feedback at 100% we will see tomorrow but thanks Smile

Also I was wondering.. Is there anything in Kodi DSPlayer that can maybe put a flag infront of the movies cover (metedata) like for eg, bluray to say (BluRay) and 4K movies to say (UHD) or even (4K) I wonder if there is such an option and if so can you please advise how I can get this sorted.. Thanks..
none that i have found but i haven't digged 'that' deep into kodi. i personally only use 'local metadata' using a few tools.

i copy using makemkv remembering to set the 'filename' properly
i then use Files to Folder application to put the file into a folder as i'm lazy... lol
i then use tiny media manager to go fetch the 'metadata'

when importing the movies into kodi you then use 'local information' instead of a scraper.

there are a number of things i do different for movie sets such as 'marvel universe and 'dc universe' etc.etc and requires editing of the .nfo files.

if you wanted you could just edit the 'poster.jpg' with an overlay in your favourite 'paint' application.

some kodi builds have inbuilt cover overlays depending on the type of disc but you need to use a certain 'wall' view for them to show. i only use 'media info 3' so they never show.

if you decompile the textures.xbt you will find the cover overlays in there that you can just add to your poster.jpg then save. TBH its not that hard to do once you know how. i was thinking of doing it but i have around 500 movies so would take me a fair old while to do so never got round to it.
  • 375(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47