• 405(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Warner306, about custom refresh rates in madVR.

is it necessary to have a different hz video playing in the background before we select a new one to customize?

can we not just call madVR (ctrl + s) without any video playing (madVR is in 60hz desktop mode) then select the mode we want to edit then play a video for the 30min+.
once the optimization is done select a new timing mode.
(2018-04-08, 12:12)vicmanpergar Wrote: If it's directshow filter, I bet u can just add it urself through the xml's.
 or add it as an external filter then select it via the subtitle filter in the player then set as default for all files?
Guys, apologise in advance as this may not seem relevant to this thread but I need some help and guidance. My cousin has requested to purchase my HTPC off me which is awesome as I can now fully upgrade and start from scratch.. Smile I am in the process of RMA'ing the RX 560 4GB card I purchased for £159.00 and will purchase the RX580 4GB for £299.00 (Original price is around £400 + depends where your purchasing from) So I really would like to know which motherboard, ram, cpu etc to purchase. Please see below specs I have in mind:
  • HTPC Case (Silverstone GD09B) this is what I have in mind but I don't mind any other recommendations as I am starting from scratch...
  • GPU - Sapphire RX580 4GB Nitro + (Already Purchased)
  • PSU - EVGA 750W GQ Power Supply (Semi Modular) - will this be sufficient? Is it a good power supply?
  • Motherboard - Has to have DDR4 ram slots and PCI-3 express slot, not sure ATX or mini ITX? I guess if I purchase the GD09B it won't make a difference as it can take both.
  • CPU - Which CPU is recommended? i3 , i5 or i7? baring in mind I will only be using as HTPC and for 4K movies viewing no gaming..
  • CPU Cooling - I already have a Corsair H50 cooler. will this work with the new intel slot motherboards or do I need to get a new one? If so which cooler do you recommend?
  • RAM - I think 8GB will be plenty so either 1 strip of 8gb or 2 x 4GB Huh which brand and model is recommended.
  • SSD Drive - Will only have windows 10 with Kodi and Madvr etc.. No other programs so don't need a lot of space, 120gbHuh?
Please bare in mind that this HTPC is for the sole purpose of Movie Viewing only. No gaming no use as a desktop. I don't want it to be an overkill , I want the latest tech I can buy today which is more than sufficient for playback of 4K HDR movies and maybe a little future proof for the next atleast 5-10 years...

Would appreciate all your help with the recommendations. It doesn't have to be the cheapest products but then I don't want to pay unnecessarily for stuff that I don't really require or is an overkill but if the difference in price is not major then yes why not Smile

Thanks for all your help and look forward to your replies Smile
boring answer I know but pretty much any new kit should be fine, all comes down to money again, just get the fastest stuff your pocket money will allow, only essentials i'd say would intel CPU for max compatibility and an SSD for boot speed.
(2018-04-08, 18:58)mclingo Wrote: boring answer I know but pretty much any new kit should be fine, all comes down to money again, just get the fastest stuff your pocket money will allow, only essentials i'd say would intel CPU for max compatibility and an SSD for boot speed.
 Thank you . I have decided to go for the RX580 4GB Sapphire Nitro + as there seems to be a discounted price and can be had for £299 delivered. The RX560 4GB cost me £159 so the difference is £140 extra for the better card I guess.. Do you think that was a good move or not really? I mean I think with the 580 I can go for the max settings on madVR so should be better and would be a set and forget type of situation only for £140 more than what I had already paid for the RX560..
(2018-04-08, 16:58)Bibio Wrote: Warner306, about custom refresh rates in madVR.

is it necessary to have a different hz video playing in the background before we select a new one to customize?

can we not just call madVR (ctrl + s) without any video playing (madVR is in 60hz desktop mode) then select the mode we want to edit then play a video for the 30min+.
Never tried it that way. Can you open the madVR control panel without playing a video? Never tried that either.
@mkohman

Edit: Nevermind. You are already posting in the thread at AVSForums. That's where I'd go for advice.
(2018-04-08, 19:18)Warner306 Wrote: @mkohman

Edit: Nevermind. You are already posting in the thread at AVSForums. That's where I'd go for advice.
 Thanks Smile
@Warner306 just double click the exe, you can load it outside of a video player.  then mess with settings.  can even keep it open and load a video and it stays (and doesn't open a new instance)
(2018-04-08, 19:56)spencerjford Wrote: @Warner306 just double click the exe, you can load it outside of a video player.  then mess with settings.  can even keep it open and load a video and it stays (and doesn't open a new instance)
So would this be the best way to create custom modes, rather than playing a video first. Has anyone tried this?
Yes.  A custom mode can be set as long as the mode you are setting is not the active mode at the time.  You don't always need to play a video since you are in 60Hz desktop vs 24Hz assuming 24Hz is the mode you want to set.  I do it like this all the time.  However, when you want to force 12bit to be compatible with a custom mode, you have to be in 12bit.  Otherwise, your new custom mode will only play at 8bit period.  The only way to enable 12bit video mode and still retain 8bit for the desktop mode is to play a title and then change the refresh rate to 30Hz or something since you can't create a custom mode when that mode is active assuming it's 24Hz.  Then you will get 12bit with a custom mode.  But considering 12bit might introduce banding depending if your display is 10bit or 12bit native even after dithering down, it may be moot.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-04-08, 19:10)mkohman Wrote:
(2018-04-08, 18:58)mclingo Wrote: boring answer I know but pretty much any new kit should be fine, all comes down to money again, just get the fastest stuff your pocket money will allow, only essentials i'd say would intel CPU for max compatibility and an SSD for boot speed.
 Thank you . I have decided to go for the RX580 4GB Sapphire Nitro + as there seems to be a discounted price and can be had for £299 delivered. The RX560 4GB cost me £159 so the difference is £140 extra for the better card I guess.. Do you think that was a good move or not really? I mean I think with the 580 I can go for the max settings on madVR so should be better and would be a set and forget type of situation only for £140 more than what I had already paid for the RX560.. 
My philosophy has always been buy the best you can with the money you have, dont scrimp if you can afford it, I only sold my RX480 as I was trying to reduce my overall power consumption, I did this at the same time as dropping a low power CPU. Since then i've switched back to my i7 setup as I  perfer a snappier machine over a few watts, I will be looking for a faster card when i'm flush again, I only bought the RX550 as that was the best card I could get with the spare cash I had, if the 470 was selling at its usual price I probs would have got that, bitmining has destroyed the GPU market.
(2018-04-08, 19:14)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-04-08, 16:58)Bibio Wrote: Warner306, about custom refresh rates in madVR.

Never tried it that way. Can you open the madVR control panel without playing a video? Never tried that either. 
 just tried it and no you cant open madVR from the kodi gui without playing a video. the way i have been doing it, is i have a shortcut on my desktop to madvr exe and i have been using that to set up the custom mode then launching kodi and playing a video. it does give optimized timings list but for some strange reason it make absolutely no frigging odds what timings i choose as i still cant get past 1 frame repeat every 4-5min.

i'm beginning to think my drivers are messed up. i done a clean with DDU then installed the latest drivers but my desktop still reverted to 50hz which i had it set at before, if the drivers were full removed then the desktop should have resorted to 60hz with the fresh drivers.

think i'll try removing the drivers again.
how are you guys launching the nvidia control panel while playing a video?
@Bibio you can open the control panel, from the directory you installed it without ANY player loaded, or video playing, (including DSPlayer).  Just double click on madHcCtrl.exe from the directory you installed madVR at.
  • 405(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47