• 417(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
HDR10 Metadata Explained

Note: Support for basic metadata is part of the HDR10 specification to allow displays with less peak brightness and color volume than the mastering display to adjust its tone mapping curve and gamut mapping to optimize the presentation of each HDR video.

Below are direct quotes from this source

HDR 10 Media Profile - The Consumer Technologies Association (CTA)’s official HDR video standard for use in HDR Televisions. HDR 10 requires the use of the SMPTE ST.2084 EOTF, BT.2020 color space, 10 bits per channel, 4.2.0 chroma subsampling, and the inclusion of SMPTE ST.2086 and associated MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata values.

HDR 10 Media Profile defines the signal televisions can decode for the inclusion of “HDR compatibility” term in the marketing of televisions.

Note that “HDR compatibility” does not necessarily define the ability to display in the higher dynamic range, simply to the compatibility to decode and renormalize footage in the HDR 10 specification for whatever the dynamic range and color space of the display happen to be.

PQ - Perceptual Quantization - Name of the EOTF curve developed by Dolby and standardized in SMPTE ST.2084, designed to allocate bits as efficiently as possible with respect to how the human vision perceives changes in light levels.

Dolby’s tests established the Barten Threshold (also called the Barten Limit or the Barten Ramp), the point at what the difference in light levels between two values does that difference become visible.

nit - A unit of brightness density, or luminance. It’s the colloquial term for the SI units of candelas per square meter (1 nit = 1 cd/m2). It directly converts with the United States customary unit of foot-lamberts (1 fl = 1 cd/foot2), with 1 fl = 3.426 nits = 3.426 cd/m2.

Note that the peak nits / foot-lamberts value of a projector is often lower than that of a display, even in HDR video: because a projected image covers more area and the image is viewed in a darker environment than consumer’s homes, the same psychological and physiological responses exist at lower light levels.

For instance, a typical digital cinema screen will have a maximum brightness of 14fl or 48 cd/m2 vs. the display average of 80-120nits for reference and 300 for LCDs and Plasmas in the home. HDR cinema actual light output ranges in theaters are adjusted accordingly, since 1000 cd/m2 on a theater’s 30 foot screen is perceived to be far brighter than on a 65” flat screen.

MaxCLL Metadata - Maximum Content Light Level - An integer metadata value defining the maximum light level, in nits, of any single pixel within an encoded HDR video stream or file. MaxCLL should be measured during or after mastering. However, if you keep your color grade within the MaxCLL of your display’s HDR range, and add a hard clip for the light levels beyond your display’s maximum value, you can use your display’s maximum CLL as your metadata MaxCLL value.

MaxFALL Metadata - Maximum Frame Average Light Level - An integer metadata value defining the maximum average light level, in nits, for any single frame within an encoded HDR video stream or file. MaxFALL is calculated by averaging the decoded brightness values of all pixels within each frame (that is, converting the digital value of each frame into its corresponding nits value, and averaging all of the nits values within each frame).

MaxFALL is an important value to consider in mastering and color grading, and is usually lower than the MaxCLL value. The two values combined define how bright any individual pixel within a frame can be, and how bright the frame as a whole can be.

Displays are limited differently on both of those values, though typically only the peak (single pixel) brightness of a display is reported. As pixels get brighter and approach their peak output, they draw more power and heat up. With current technology levels, no display can push all of its pixels into the maximum HDR brightness level at the same time - the power draw would be extremely high, and the heat generated would severely damage the display.

As a result, displays will abruptly notch down the overall image brightness when the frame average brightness exceeds the rated MaxFALL, to keep the image under the safe average brightness level, regardless of what the peak brightness of the display or encoded image stream may be.

For example, while the BVM-X300 has a peak value of 1000 nits for any given pixel (MaxCLL = 1000), on average, the frame brightness cannot exceed about 180 nits (MaxFALL = 180). The MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata included in the HDR 10 media profile allows consumer displays to adjust the entire stream’s brightness to match their own display limits.

SMPTE ST.2086 Metadata - Metadata Information about the display used to grade the HDR content. SMPTE ST.2086 includes information on six values: the three RGB primaries used, the white point used, and the display maximum and minimum light levels.

The RGB primaries and the white point values are recorded as ½ of their (X,Y) values from the CIE XYZ 1931 chromaticity standard, and expressed as the integer portion of the the first five significant digits, without a decimal place. Or, in other words:

f(XPrimary) = 100,000 × XPrimary ÷ 2

f(YPrimary) = 100,000 × YPrimary ÷ 2.

For example, the (X,Y) value of DCI-P3’s ‘red’ primary is (0.68, 0.32) in CIE XYZ; in SMPTE ST.2086 terms it’s recorded as

R(34000,16000)

because

for R(0.68,0.32):

f(XR) = 100,000 × 0.68 ÷ 2 = 34,000

f(YR) = 100,000 × 0.32 ÷ 2 = 16,000

Maximum and minimum luminance values are recorded as nits × 10,000, so that they too end up as positive integers. For instance, a display like the Sony BVM-X300 with a range from 0.0001 to 1000 nits would record its luminance as

L(10000000,1)

The full ST.2086 Metadata is ordered Green, Blue, Red, White Point, Luminance with the values as

G(XG,YG)B(XB,YB)R(XR,YR)WP(XWP,YWP)L(max,min)

all strung together, and without spaces. For instance, the ST.2086 for a DCI-P3 display with a maximum luminance of 1000 nits, a minimum of 0.0001 nit would be, and using white point D65 would be:

G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)

while a display like the Sony BVM-X300, using BT.2020 primaries, with a white point of D65 and the same max and min brightness would be:

G(8500,39850)B(6550,2300)R(35400,14600)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)

In an ideal situation, it would be best to use a colorimeter and measure the display’s native R-G-B and white point values; however, in all practicality the RGB and white point values the display conforms to that was used in mastering, are sufficient in communicating information about the mastery to the end unit display.

Example MediaInfo from The Prestige (2006):

Text View (Download MediaInfo utility here)

Video
ID: 1
Format: HEVC
Format/Info: High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name: HDR10
Format profile: Main [email protected] High
Codec ID: V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration: 2 h 10 min
Bit rate: 54.8 Mb/s
Width: 3 840 pixels
Height: 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate mode: Constant
Frame rate: 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space: YUV
Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth: 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame): 0.276
Stream size: 49.9 GiB 
Title: The.Prestige.2006
Writing library: ATEME Titan File 3.8.3 (4.8.3.0)        
Default: Yes
Forced: No
Color range: Limited
Color primaries: BT.2020
Transfer characteristics: PQ
Matrix coefficients: BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries: Display P3
Mastering display luminance: min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level: 1121 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level: 284 cd/m2

Note: Some videos set both MaxCLL and MaxFALL to 0,0, relying on the default values of the mastering display.
hum I have reset my gamma and this noise isn't perceptual anymore (calibration 2.40 and color&gamma 2.20)
(2018-05-20, 18:05)fullsun Wrote: hum I have reset my gamma and this noise isn't perceptual anymore (calibration 2.40 and color&gamma 2.20)
 I don't know what is going on over there, but you seem to be confused by the settings. I haven't noticed any noise during viewing, but madVR could be doing something. Who knows. If you are doing your viewing six inches in front of the screen, maybe you need to move back a bit and this won't be an issue anymore. I don't know of many sources that don't have some noise because all cameras will capture random noise and this will be visible on the production video. That's what reduce random noise is for. Although, I don't bother with this setting.

This thread has some images showing what the various scaling algorithms are supposed to be doing, if you think it has something to do with image scaling.
Hey Guys.. Apologies if this has already been covered before but I need some help please...

My HTPC did the April update on Windows 10 last night and after that I am no longer able to connect to my file server where I share movies to my HTPC via SMB. I have read that this is because of the new update. Is there a way to get this sorted or do I need to use a different way of file sharing from my server located in another room?

Would really appreciate some help and advice.. Thank you all in advance [emoji106]
(2018-05-23, 09:11)mkohman Wrote: Hey Guys.. Apologies if this has already been covered before but I need some help please...

My HTPC did the April update on Windows 10 last night and after that I am no longer able to connect to my file server where I share movies to my HTPC via SMB. I have read that this is because of the new update. Is there a way to get this sorted or do I need to use a different way of file sharing from my server located in another room?

Would really appreciate some help and advice.. Thank you all in advance [emoji106]
It works fine for me. Can you still access the fileserver from the windows explorer?
Yes I can but not SMB.. It's the April update.
Find the drive or folder on your server computer that contains your media:

Right-click -> Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing.. -> Share this folder

Disable password protected sharing (I'm assuming this is how you shared things previously and the April update will enable it again):

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings

All Networks -> Password protected sharing -> turn off password protected sharing

Note: Due to potential network vulnerabilities, Microsoft advises against disabling password protected sharing. When password protected sharing is enabled, Kodi requires the login credentials of the server computer (username and password).

On your server computer, write down the SMB network paths:

Right-click -> Properties -> Sharing

The "Sharing" tab will show the full path to the drive or folder with your media:

e.g. \\WARNER-DESKTOP\Movies

In Kodi:

Files -> Source -> Edit source

Enter the network path you wrote down from the "Sharing" tab  and select "OK":

e.g. smb:\\WARNER-DESKTOP\Movies

Simple Method of Adding Network Sources

Navigate to Files -> Add video source. Select Browse to bring up a list of file locations accessible to Kodi.

Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Add network location....

In the pop-up dialog, set the Protocol to Windows network (SMB) and enter the Computer or Device name of the server computer (e.g., MYSERVER-COMPUTER) or its local IPv4 address (e.g., 192.168.50.189).

Select OK when finished.

The server computer should now appear in the list of browseable media locations in Kodi. If you select the server computer, all shared folders on the server computer will be shown and should be available to add as sources in Kodi.
Thank you so much for your help. Last night I reverted back to the previous version of Windows and disabled auto update on my htpc. All working fine now but I may Re upgrade and give this a shot when I get a chance. In Kodi do I just add a network and choose smb or which option will I add the link to the files under please?
(2018-05-24, 11:43)mkohman Wrote: Thank you so much for your help. Last night I reverted back to the previous version of Windows and disabled auto update on my htpc. All working fine now but I may Re upgrade and give this a shot when I get a chance. In Kodi do I just add a network and choose smb or which option will I add the link to the files under please?
You just need to enter the path as smb (e.g. smb:\\File path here). That will tell Kodi it is a standard Windows SMB file share. It is incredibly simple. Share the folder with a right-click on the server computer and write down the file path for Kodi. You were probably getting foiled by the password protection or you were using a Homegroup to share and Homegroups are supposed to be removed. Password protection is enabled with every major update. I don't use it, so I have to go back to the server computer and disable it.
Hi,

since a few days my kodi crashes by stopping video, running windows 10 64bit.
I have no "reloadskin" in my keyboard.xml, so thats not the usual bug;(
If i delete the keybaord.xml and by navigating by mouse kodi is on after stopping the movie, but freezes, then crashes  ...

Need some help, here is my logfile:

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/bCwF8NhNtR/
Thanks for your help.. Much appreciated [emoji106]
(2018-05-24, 20:12)netguru Wrote: Hi,

since a few days my kodi crashes by stopping video, running windows 10 64bit.
I have no "reloadskin" in my keyboard.xml, so thats not the usual bug;(
If i delete the keybaord.xml and by navigating by mouse kodi is on after stopping the movie, but freezes, then crashes  ...

Need some help, here is my logfile:

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/bCwF8NhNtR/
 I'd start here and report back: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2737485.
The last line of your log is as follows:

WARNING: XFILE::CWin32SMBDirectory::ConnectAndAuthenticate: Can't connect to "\\SYNOSERV\video" with username "netguru" and with password because of conflict of credential. Will try to close current connections.

Either Windows reset your password with the Windows update or it has somehow corrupted your SMB shares. Maybe even the file paths changed. Who knows.

You also have other errors:

ERROR: CImageLoader:Big GrinoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for resource://resource.images.studios.white/WVG Medien GmbH.png

Are you getting flags for your media? There are many similar errors. The resource add-on is failing or your skin is not coded correctly. Or you are browsing content that doesn't support media flags.

NOTICE: script.module.metadatautils --> Rate limiter active for themoviedb.org - delaying request with 4 seconds - Configure a personal API key in the settings to get rid of this message and the delay.

ERROR: script.module.metadatautils --> ERROR in helpers.utils ! --> HTTPConnectionPool(host='www.omdbapi.com', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=20)

Not likely important but this script is producing multiple errors. I don't know if you need it or not.

And a bug in the skin:

WARNING: Skin has invalid include: Objects_OSDSeekForward

One of the skin .xmls has an error.
A quick post to commend Warner306 for all the help he's offering in this thread. Thank you! Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
You don't have to thank me. I sometimes do this as a hobby.

The last two customers didn't report back they're issues are solved, so maybe something significant happened with SMB sharing after the last Windows update I don't know about. Hopefully, it doesn't impact DSPlayer.
  • 417(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47