• 427(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
HDR to SDR: Mapping BT.709 and BT.2020 

If you are sharing a single SDR source input for both HDR and SDR content by selecting tone map HDR using pixel shaders under hdr, SDR and HDR will share the same display mode, which means a color conversion is required for one of these sources. SDR and HDR content use different color spaces: SDR is graded to BT.709 and HDR is graded to BT.2020 (DCI-P3).

Basic Rules

Display calibrated to BT.709: Choose BT.709 (BT.2020 is converted to BT.709);

Display calibrated to BT.2020: Choose BT.2020 or DCI-P3 (BT.709 is converted to BT.2020 or DCI-P3).

Notes:
  • When BT.709 is converted to BT.2020 or DCI-P3, it is simply placed in a larger container for the display, which shouldn’t lead to any oversaturation of BT.709 content. So it is safe to choose BT.2020 or DCI-P3 for both SDR and HDR content if your display color profile matches this setting;
  • Output in DCI-P3 may require report BT.2020 to display (Nvidia only) is checked under calibration due to the fact most displays will be expecting a BT.2020 input despite only covering all or part of the DCI-P3 color space.

HDR to SDR 3D LUTs

3D LUTs used with tone map HDR using pixel shaders selected should be created with an SDR 2.20 pure power gamma. madVR tone maps HDR content to 2.20 when a 3D LUT is available. Acceptable results have been achieved with a 2.40 gamma 3D LUT, but it is recommended to match the input gamma provided to the 3D LUT by madVR to retain the same input and output luminances. PQ HDR uses absolute luminance values, so lowering displayed luminance with a 2.40 3D LUT (2.20 input from madVR to 2.40 display 3D LUT) runs the risk of reducing the source brightness too much.

3D LUTs created in a wide color gamut are best profiled in DCI-P3 rather than BT.2020. 3D LUTs do not like undersaturated gamuts and no current displays make use of the larger BT.2020 color space. When using DCI-P3 3D LUTs with JVC projectors, it is advised to check report BT.2020 to display (Nvidia only) to ensure the projector selects the correct color profile to match the 3D LUT. Not doing so may result in oversaturation if the projector misinterprets the DCI-P3 color space.

Sending BT.709 & BT.2020 Without Color Space Conversions

Some displays have a setting to automatically switch to the correct color profile based on the input signal (usually labelled as Automatic or Auto). In this case, it may make the most sense to simply send the correct color gamut based on the content without any conversions. There are also some tools available to force a projector into the desired color profile (e.g. HDfury Vertex or HTPC Control mentioned at the end of this post). The display must automatically switch to match the input color gamut or either SDR or HDR content will end up over or undersaturated. If this is not the case, the display likely has a fixed color gamut and it is better to choose any of BT.709, BT.2020 or DCI-P3 to match the calibrated color space.

To avoid a color space conversion, create two profiles in madVR under calibration:

calibration -> this display is already calibrated

Click
on the active device and select create profile group.

Check calibration and click OK.

Name the new profile group calibration.

Select add profile to create a second profile folder under calibration.

Name the first profile: BT.709 and set primaries / gamut to BT.709.

Name the second profile: BT.2020 and set primaries / gamut to BT.2020.

Click on calibration and copy and paste the following profile rules into the blank textbox:

If (HDR) "BT.2020"
else "BT.709"

green check mark should appear above the box to indicate the profiles are correctly named and no code conflicts exist.

The first calibration profile should be selected when SDR BT.709 content is played, and the second calibration profile is selected when HDR BT.2020 content is played.
this is a side question for dsplayer with madvr. Is there a way to move my 3d lut inside madvr whenever madvr updates?

Say if I did the calibration using displaycal and I installed the 3dlut to madvr. How would I change the 3d lut over to the new version of madvr?
Hi, 

I have a question regarding python within Kodi. I'm trying to use MadVR within DSPlayer to auto switch user modes on the projector depending on whether I'm viewing HDR or SDR content. 

I got advice from the post below which works great when running the script from command prompt

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...st55519234

Only problem is, I can't get the batch script to run (when profile is selected within MadVR) because the batch script relies on python and apparently kodi has it's own python variables which makes everything very complicated. 

Someone posted a fix for this highlighted here: 

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...st55526094

I can't seem to figure out what this actually means in terms of batch scripts. Is the code something I have to add to the existing batch script because there seems to be generic words in there. 

I'm really desperate to get this working but would appreciate any advice. I've also asked on the thread but no-one seems to know how to do it....
(2018-07-15, 02:57)toki5 Wrote: this is a side question for dsplayer with madvr. Is there a way to move my 3d lut inside madvr whenever madvr updates?

Say if I did the calibration using displaycal and I installed the 3dlut to madvr. How would I change the 3d lut over to the new version of madvr?
You select the 3D LUT from calibration and it becomes a part of your settings.bin. It should remember which file you chose from the 3D LUT tab.
(2018-07-15, 17:06)entourage2111 Wrote: Hi, 

I have a question regarding python within Kodi. I'm trying to use MadVR within DSPlayer to auto switch user modes on the projector depending on whether I'm viewing HDR or SDR content. 

I got advice from the post below which works great when running the script from command prompt

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...st55519234

Only problem is, I can't get the batch script to run (when profile is selected within MadVR) because the batch script relies on python and apparently kodi has it's own python variables which makes everything very complicated. 

Someone posted a fix for this highlighted here: 

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digita...st55526094

I can't seem to figure out what this actually means in terms of batch scripts. Is the code something I have to add to the existing batch script because there seems to be generic words in there. 

I'm really desperate to get this working but would appreciate any advice. I've also asked on the thread but no-one seems to know how to do it....
 I don't know anything about batch scripts or JVC projectors. You might have to contact JAVS at AVSForums, who uses DSPlayer.
I did look again. You should be able to create one DCI-P3 3D LUT and be able to map both BT.709 and BT.2020 content without upconverting BT.709 or using separate 3D LUTs. That is what I've been told. 

What else does the batch file do that would be useful?
(2018-07-15, 17:38)Warner306 Wrote: I did look again. You should be able to create one DCI-P3 3D LUT and be able to map both BT.709 and BT.2020 content without upconverting BT.709 or using separate 3D LUTs. That is what I've been told. Also, you can create profile rules in madVR and use different SDR 3D LUTs for different sources (e.g. 2160p, BT.2020, etc.).

Thanks Warner, I have quoted in that thread but haven't heard back.

Not sure if you're speaking to me or the other post on 3dluts but from my side all I'd like to is have the batch script change source on the projector when hdr is detected in madvr. Like I said above, it does work fine outside Kodi but inside dsplayer, the script has trouble running python files. Someone has posted a fix but not sure what to do with it as they haven't made it clear if I need to copy and paste what they've posted or perhaps make modifications. 

Shame really, would be so useful to get this working
(2018-07-15, 18:29)entourage2111 Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 17:38)Warner306 Wrote: I did look again. You should be able to create one DCI-P3 3D LUT and be able to map both BT.709 and BT.2020 content without upconverting BT.709 or using separate 3D LUTs. That is what I've been told. Also, you can create profile rules in madVR and use different SDR 3D LUTs for different sources (e.g. 2160p, BT.2020, etc.).

Not sure if you're speaking to me or the other post on 3dluts but from my side all I'd like to is have the batch script change source on the projector when hdr is detected in madvr. Like I said above, it does work fine outside Kodi but inside dsplayer, the script has trouble running python files. Someone has posted a fix but not sure what to do with it as they haven't made it clear if I need to copy and paste what they've posted or perhaps make modifications. 

Try sending JAVS a PM with the link to the fix you found.
(2018-07-15, 18:42)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 18:29)entourage2111 Wrote:

Try sending JAVS a PM with the link to the fix you found. 
 Thanks Warner, just done that. Hopefully I hear back Smile
anyone know whats going on with DOOM9 forums?, been down for days now, no access to MADVR and LAV forums.
Nope, someone must have forgot to pay the electricity bill. Hopefully, it is some type of upgrade, but it could just be to the server.

Edit: I was able to ping the site just now from Command Prompt, so that is strange. The "Is it down..." website disagrees.
weird one.
still down this isnt looking good is it.
(2018-07-18, 11:09)mclingo Wrote: still down this isnt looking good is it.
 Yep, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
Did some side by side comparisons with Powerdvd 18 and DVDFab 5.0.1.5 (latest last night). I can say that blind eye testing DVDFab won the comparison easily. This was watching a .mkv of Batman begins in 4k. Earlier it was mentioned that Dvdfab was not auto swtitching to HDR. I am not seeing this with .mkv's in the latest version. Would love to post some comparison shots but not sure the best way to do that.

I would love to get more input from others using this and get their opinion. IMO the picture is better than with DSPlayer and Madvr, but maybe I don't have all the Madvr settings just right.
  • 427(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47