• 428(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Me too, there is supposed to be a new version out soon.
(2018-07-18, 17:19)acemt Wrote: Did some side by side comparisons with Powerdvd 18 and DVDFab 5.0.1.5 (latest last night). I can say that blind eye testing DVDFab won the comparison easily. This was watching a .mkv of Batman begins in 4k. Earlier it was mentioned that Dvdfab was not auto swtitching to HDR. I am not seeing this with .mkv's in the latest version. Would love to post some comparison shots but not sure the best way to do that.

I would love to get more input from others using this and get their opinion. IMO the picture is better than with DSPlayer and Madvr, but maybe I don't have all the Madvr settings just right.
Probably won't get much a response in here. Not sure why a 4K image would be so different across three players. Some or all of them must not be configured correctly or are outputting the wrong color.
Fwiw, my observations:

UHD HDR using PowerDVD requires specialized hardware else I think it's supposed to convert HDR to SDR but that is problematic for me.  DVDFab Player v.5 converts HDR to SDR but I'm not sure if special hardware would let it passthrough.  I just reinstalled todays update to 5.0.1.6 to confirm if that had changed things.  It didn't.  DVDFab Player v.3 remains an HDR passthrough player regardless of CPU and motherboard used and instead switches correctly via proper GPU using private API's.  Not sure if you meet specific requirements or not when doing your SBS comparisons?  Understand, this is an mkv test matching your source tested.

I also tried an hdr.mkv and an ISO 10bit/BT2020 using FAB and PDVD and determined: 

PDVD does not engage HDR mode with an mkv but it does play back and of course does not look correct.  For some reason, it does not prompt me to convert HDR to SDR, since I don't meet its requirements for HDR playback, again probably because it is an mkv.  ISO's are prompted to convert HDR to SDR but then met with a do not meet requirements prompt and there is no playback. 

FAB v.5 does the mkv HDR to SDR conversion without prompting and playback looks decent but of course we'd prefer to keep it HDR passthrough which it doesn't.  An iso does not work at all.  It crashes the GPU drivers requiring a restart.  Updating to current drivers made no difference.  FAB v.3 on the other hand works perfectly no matter if it's an mkv or an iso and playback quality is very good.  I prefer DVDFab v.3 over madVR players for remastered UHD HDR titles.  Older remastered titles look very grainy and overly sharpened to me.  For what ever reason (algo's used) FAB just produces a better picture imo.  This includes banding.  However, I still prefer madVR players for native UHD HDR titles that are not remastered to UHD specs banding and all.

I am mainly interested in IF you are truly engaging HDR using either player and that you are certain.  If so, please list a bit about your hardware.  TIA.

*Edit*.  I feel like I'm intruding especially with all the external player talk in a DSPlayer thread and in no way trying to hijack it.  I know it's already offended a visitor here recently and respect their wishes.  Probably best to move the conversation to the link in my signature if you don't mind.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Some with HDR content in ISO format may be interested in DVDFab. Don’t know why the image of DVDFab would much different from DSPlayer with a 4K rip. The last person making a comparison was using the LG Plex app and couldn’t see any difference when compared to MPC.

All of the grain and detail would already be found on the disc in its native luma resolution. As long as the player can get from YCbCr to RGB, it would probably look pretty similar with basic settings. It’s not worth arguing, but that would be my expectation. Trying to remove the grain might help or harm. From what I’ve seen of remastered UHD content, I’m not sure if I’m into catalogue titles. The one’s I’ve seen are noticeably inferior to new movies.
(2018-07-18, 17:23)mclingo Wrote: Me too, there is supposed to be a new version out soon.

I wouldn’t expect many or any new features. madshi sunk a lot of time trying to make 4K HDR projector owners happy by improving madVR’s tone mapping. Hopefully, he takes some time off that and gets back to the long list of things that are supposed to be added.

I configured the tone mapping myself on an SDR display. I can’t see many flat panel display owners wanting to watch HDR content at SDR brightness, so this could be reserved for projector owners. It also took a huge amount of tweaking to make it look right. I am still adjusting to watching content without a gamma curve to make it brighter. You have to like the movie theater 2.40 gamma look. I finally managed to get the image to look like it would if it was tone mapped by an actual HDR display.
(2018-07-19, 02:53)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 17:23)mclingo Wrote: Me too, there is supposed to be a new version out soon.

I wouldn’t expect many or any new features. madshi sunk a lot of time trying to make 4K HDR projector owners happy by improving madVR’s tone mapping. Hopefully, he takes some time off that and gets back to the long list of things that are supposed to be added.

I configured the tone mapping myself on an SDR display. I can’t see many flat panel display owners wanting to watch HDR content at SDR brightness, so this could be reserved for projector owners. It also took a huge amount of tweaking to make it look right. I am still adjusting to watching content without a gamma curve to make it brighter. You have to like the movie theater 2.40 gamma look. I finally managed to get the image to look like it would if it was tone mapped by an actual HDR display. 
 I'm sorry to hijack this thread as well, but could you please go into further detail in what you mean by this because I notice that things are much darker with 4k ( I have my settings on 400 nits) and the skies and other things look off. With that said I was wondering if you could tell me how you have yours set up. I am on a 40' FHD vizio display and would love to get the optimal setting, which I have a great deal thanks to your other suggestions for player setup and so on. Especially after calibration and 3dlut.
Doom9 is back up.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
....and relax Smile
Hi guys,

Anyone know if we can expect an Kodi 18 version of dsplayer? The new Netflix intergration is working awesome! But I have no idea if it is possible to use that with dsplayer..
Yeah, release is on Feb 29th 2019
(2018-07-19, 15:17)mclingo Wrote: Yeah, release is on Feb 29th 2019

How do you know? Smile
I may have "lept" to that conclusion...
The only person out there who could release a new build is aracnoz and he doesn’t keep in contact with the forums. I don’t think there has ever been an Alpha build of DSPlayer, so not today. There has only been two Beta builds in the last four years. So maybe when RC1 is available.
(2018-07-19, 05:59)toki5 Wrote:
(2018-07-19, 02:53)Warner306 Wrote:
 I'm sorry to hijack this thread as well, but could you please go into further detail in what you mean by this because I notice that things are much darker with 4k ( I have my settings on 400 nits) and the skies and other things look off. With that said I was wondering if you could tell me how you have yours set up. I am on a 40' FHD vizio display and would love to get the optimal setting, which I have a great deal thanks to your other suggestions for player setup and so on. Especially after calibration and 3dlut.  

For starters, you need the latest test build or the next version of madVR to see any immediate difference in color. After that, I was using two HDR10 test patterns to adjust black and white clipping. I don't know how well the 3D LUT will work with HDR -> SDR. You can't adjust the gamma curve and the 3D LUT was created with an assumed 100 nit source, not a 400 nit PQ curve. I know the calibration experts still think this should work, but I don't know.

I think I have to ask around before publishing the patterns I used. I'm not sure if it is based on science. I already saved a post detailing HDR clipping, but didn't post it publicly. After the next build, I will update quite a few sections in the madVR manual that are still pretty bad, which will include tone mapping. 

Because gamma curves vary so much by display, and everyone will have subtle differences in available brightess, I don't think there is one value that will work for everyone. With an assumed 200 nits calibration, I started with 400 nits and gamma 2.40, and ended with 380 nits and gamma 2.45. That would likely look very different on your display. Anything lower than 380 nits and the image starts to get really flat. It is a little dark but no shadow detail is being crushed and I'm able to produce an accurate peak white up to 2,000 nits before it clips. I don't know how to judge the rest of the test patterns. It seems like the tone mapping is failing many of them, but any adjustment is beyond user control.

I would wait until the next build before attempting to change anything. You might want to try things with and without a 3D LUT. You can also create a 3D LUT that converts directly from HDR to SDR. I've heard this can produce excellent results, but it would be a fixed curve.
I can't even get madvr to accept the hdr to sdr 3dlut from displaycal. I really like the output for rec709 from the displaycal. I did the best you could do with it and am in love with the theatrical appearance of it. It has a really nice dynamic range, luminance looks good and colors look spot on. With HDR all is there except for brightness and colors may be just a little off from what I can see.
  • 428(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47