• 450(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-11-26, 11:14)spencerjford Wrote:
(2018-11-25, 13:09)curael Wrote: RGB 8bit is the only RGB setting nvidia supports, so yes. No matter how many bits your panel is, you will only get RGB 8bit from your card. Same with 4:4:4.

4:2:0 and 4:2:2 will give you 10bit. Smile
 No, not true.  I'm running 4:4:4 and 10 bits (as long as it's not 60 hertz, 23/24/25/29/30 all work at 10 (or rather 12, but whatever) it shows you get MORE than just 8bit from an nVidia card. 
If i remember, when i tried to do say 4:4:4, selected 10 bits, it wouldnt let me select full for dynamic range, only limited.. isnt that a catch 22.. i think still misunderstanding the implications visually maybe.  This with the samsung q6f tv + 1080 and denon x4300h receiver in the mix.  Were you able to select full in your situation? Curious
(2018-11-25, 17:12)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-11-25, 03:02)markm75 Wrote:
(2018-11-24, 16:24)Warner306 Wrote:  
 This worked like a treat.. only thing i'm still stuck on is that Dsplayer no longer seems to be the default player.. i've checked off the box in settings but it doesnt seem to take effect.. i always have to do a play with option to select it.. any thoughts?  EDIT:  i guess i messed with video player merits.. removed that and it now works.. golden..

One other question/confirmation.. I should only be seeing RGB 8bit FULL in nvidia settings with the samsung q6f series TV (10bit) correct?  Should i have madvr settings at 10bit or auto.. i think 10bit?   
I would configure things using these rules: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2739438

The only issue is that current Nvidia drivers won't switch correctly from 8-bit RGB at 60 Hz to 12-bit RGB at 24 Hz after a reboot. You might have to set everything to 8-bit. madVR rounds everything with dithering at output, so you aren't likely to notice the difference with your eyes. 10-bits at the display isn't necessary and won't involve any loss in image quality. When it comes to the display, the issue of 10-bit color is misunderstood. 

If you are going to stick with DSPlayer, you might as well make a couple of profiles in madVR that will work with your display and graphics card.

If you want the image to be sharper, try checking sharpen edges or any of the other combination of shaders under image enhancements for the 4K UHD profile (requires another profile group) or anything under upscaling refinement for the 1080p profile. 
This is awesome, thanks for outlining this, i didnt find anything this detailed for now.. i take it the custom profiles will have advantages for each format 1080 vs 4k.. ill give this a shot and see how it looks.

Is the control J info that displays enough of an indicator if it kicks into 10 or 12bit mode despite being at 8bit.. is it ok to leave the madvr bit option to auto in any case here given all this?
If it is a Nvidia card, the OSD will tell you the output bit depth of the GPU. I would set madVR to the same bit depth as the GPU. Did you read the tutorial from the last post? You can set the GPU to 8-bit RGB at 60 Hz and switch to 12-bit RGB at 24 Hz with display mode switching.
you have to manually change to 23hz first to be on full 4:4:4 and 10 bit.  or like due to my tv accepting a 12 bit signal, 12 bit, at full RGB 4:4:4.  yes 60hz desktop is going to be 8 bit.  on nvdia and amd and intel.
(2018-11-26, 11:14)spencerjford Wrote:
(2018-11-25, 13:09)curael Wrote: RGB 8bit is the only RGB setting nvidia supports, so yes. No matter how many bits your panel is, you will only get RGB 8bit from your card. Same with 4:4:4.

4:2:0 and 4:2:2 will give you 10bit. Smile
 No, not true.  I'm running 4:4:4 and 10 bits (as long as it's not 60 hertz, 23/24/25/29/30 all work at 10 (or rather 12, but whatever) it shows you get MORE than just 8bit from an nVidia card.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I simply don't use bit depths that doesn't fully support my use case. Too much of a hassle. Sure, you can get lower Hz in 4:4:4, no problem. Smile
(2018-11-25, 16:58)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-11-24, 23:35)curael Wrote: Slightly off- topic, but..
Okay so.. Nvidia RTX 2080.. Very high NGU scaling across the board .. And Black Friday got me a QLED 6 82" television. Dude.. I'm beefing up my Kodi setup real hard atm. I can't wait to see the result DSplayer and MadVR provides on such a big screen, OH MY GOD!
Oh, and happy Thanksgiving to the ones who celebrate that. Wink
 I hope the RTX 2080 works with madVR without issue. I know of two accounts where it was working fine and two accounts where it wasn't. Not many out there in the wild are testing this.

The 82" screen should be nice. That is basically a projector screen, to me. Battlefield V with an RTX 2080 + Samsung QLED would also work very well together.  
 Hi Warner, I was in the Doom9 thread earlier today - I had issues with the RTX card not performing too wll in FSWindowed mode. But in FSE I get buttery smooth playback so I am really happy now - I get the TV the 4th of December and I was having second thoughts since I just know I'd be sad if that TV also had so much stuttering. It would suck all the fun and enjoyment out of the telly to be honest. I'm so happy someone suggested to go into FSE. Like I mentioned over there I've had numerous issues with MadVR crashing while exiting FSE and also when Up Next or OSD rendered on top of the image. It's been a weird journey so when 10bit windowed mode came out along with D11 I switched over happily. But I'm not gonna lie - before, in windowed mode, I had the occasional judder, I thought it was my TV's smoothing algo going crazy on fast pans for a brief second before it settled.. Turns out windowed mode flat out performed worse on the old card too. So going back to FSE is a blessing for now, but we will see if it still crashes like it did sometimes before. That remains to be seen. Big Grin

Btw. I don't play BF5, but I just got Darksiders 3 and I wanna play that on the rig.. I tried it out yesterday. It doesn't seem like a good game. Sad Too bad, lol.
Still sounds like something needs to be fixed if windowed mode isn't working.
(2018-11-29, 15:48)Warner306 Wrote: Still sounds like something needs to be fixed if windowed mode isn't working.
Guess I'll have to wait for nvidia or madshi. I dunno how to fix it myself. :|
What, I don't like the sound of this.
I couldn't really use DSPlayer these past 6 months after my GTX 1080 broke down and I was on my Intel iGPU, but I just ordered a RTX 2080, so hopefully I won't face too many problems. Kodi/DSPlayer is an essential part of my (HT)PC.
Are you kidding. For Kodi/DSPlayer+madvr is enough GTX 1030 for 4K HDR, but better use gtx 1050, simple Pentium CPU load ~10%, all job is done by nvidia.
Last time I checked, a GTX 1030 had not enough VRAM to handle 4k HDR.
As for me, being to able to use Kodi/DSPlayer is obviously not the only purpose of my PC.
A GT 1030 is acceptable at the lowest settings.
hello
i check this forum every second day for an update.
in the last time i use kodi 18 portable more and more becuase of good features, youtube, pvr, etc.
but the quality in movies is so much better with dsplayer.
looking forward for a new release.
Can't help with any timetable on any possible future release (if ever). The DSPlayer GitHub still hasn't been touched and is almost 10,000 commits behind Kodi Master. That isn't abnormal, but that could be a lot of work to merge and fix any merge conflicts.

I read in the Windows forum that afedchin (the lone Kodi Windows developer) hasn't been available to fix any outstanding Kodi bugs, so there are still some common issues in the RC2 build of Kodi Windows. In other words, the final build of v18 is not yet ready and more commits will be added to the Windows branch. We can only hope that aracnoz might do something after that happens.
(2018-12-01, 13:31)boingman Wrote: Last time I checked, a GTX 1030 had not enough VRAM to handle 4k HDR.
As for me, being to able to use Kodi/DSPlayer is obviously not the only purpose of my PC.
 It's fine, depends on what you're using MadVR for.  I just turn off all the processing, enabled DXVA/hardware acceleration and it works perfectly.  I only use it for HDR passthrough.  If you want more then YMMV
  • 450(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47