• 492(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2019-09-06, 17:47)mclingo Wrote: hmm, not much activity or help on the displayCAL forum, i'll have to ask on here until I can get back into DOOM9 and ask on the MADVR gen thread.

When I setup my TV for calibration, I reset the profile to defaults, the picture looks fine, no issues. I then also set black clipping pattern to 17 flashing to get everything roughly ok. I start DISPLAY CAL, When I measure my white balance its way off, green is very high and blue/green a bit low, i also tested this with an older DP24 and my mobile phone camera, all report high greens, thing is picture looks fine to me, black bars in clipping pattern are perfectly grey, if I turn the green down they start to go red, I guess the green could be mainly in the higher luminance?

When I say green is high, I have to take it down to -13 or more and take blue/red up for 6 pointes to even the bars out, does this sound really off or could this be fairly normal does anyone think?

Are there any settings I should definately choose for calibrating an OLED with an ageing SPYDER2 - (getting something better shortly hopefully)

If your white balance is way off, then your default calibration is not set close enough to D6500, or your meter is inaccurate. Make sure you have the correct meter profile selected in DisplayCal with the correct corrections for the meter.

To get the white balance close enough to create a 3D LUT, you should be able to input the basic settings for your display from RTINGS.com. Disable the 10-point and 2-point white balance controls, set color to 50 and tint to 50, because they settings are almost always correct from the factory, and determine what color temperature is closest to D6500 by looking at the setting used by RTINGS.com. The Delta E of your white balance should be somewhere close to 3, I would think.

You don't want to touch the white balance controls before creating the 3D LUT.
(2019-09-06, 18:12)rootz Wrote:
(2019-09-06, 01:48)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-09-05, 17:22)rootz Wrote: Yes I have subtitles enabled using Xysubfilter.
Yes Kodi is in fullscreen mode.
In Dsplayer I have set ”load from madvr active profile” which is the recommended mode in the tutorial.
Filters are Internal filters, no extra external filters or custom rules.  

Try disabling the subtitles. Kodi should be set to a fullscreen window and not a true fullscreen. The second issue may be the most likely culprit.  

Thanks! I had in kodi system settings Use fullscreen window enabled. I tried with this setting enabled and disabled to no avail.

However disabling subtitles fixes the problem but causes another one. This way when I press backspace the OSD closes. However after this if I press ”I” again to bring up the OSD, nothing happens. I have to stop and resume the video to get the OSD to show up again.  

I think you may have to try using XyVSFilter for subtitles rather than XySubFilter. The occasional user has issues with XySubFilter, but I don't know why. This could happen if your rendering times are too high, or if you are running out of system RAM or VRAM with subtitles enabled.

You can install XyVSFilter and add it as an extra external filter in the DSPlayer settings, or use the external filter files provided in the second part of the DSPlayer setup guide. Set DSPlayer to use external filters rather than internal filters and replace all entries of xysubfilter in mediasconfig.xml with xyvsfilter.

The required filter files are described in the DSPlayer guide and are found in this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n2al1uc...yOmwS/view

I have no idea why the OSD would be buggy. Maybe this also has something to do with the subtitle renderer.
(2019-09-07, 12:28)Warner306 Wrote:
(2019-09-06, 17:47)mclingo Wrote: hmm, not much activity or help on the displayCAL forum, i'll have to ask on here until I can get back into DOOM9 and ask on the MADVR gen thread.

When I setup my TV for calibration, I reset the profile to defaults, the picture looks fine, no issues. I then also set black clipping pattern to 17 flashing to get everything roughly ok. I start DISPLAY CAL, When I measure my white balance its way off, green is very high and blue/green a bit low, i also tested this with an older DP24 and my mobile phone camera, all report high greens, thing is picture looks fine to me, black bars in clipping pattern are perfectly grey, if I turn the green down they start to go red, I guess the green could be mainly in the higher luminance?

When I say green is high, I have to take it down to -13 or more and take blue/red up for 6 pointes to even the bars out, does this sound really off or could this be fairly normal does anyone think?

Are there any settings I should definately choose for calibrating an OLED with an ageing SPYDER2 - (getting something better shortly hopefully)

If your white balance is way off, then your default calibration is not set close enough to D6500, or your meter is inaccurate. Make sure you have the correct meter profile selected in DisplayCal with the correct corrections for the meter.

To get the white balance close enough to create a 3D LUT, you should be able to input the basic settings for your display from RTINGS.com. Disable the 10-point and 2-point white balance controls, set color to 50 and tint to 50, because they settings are almost always correct from the factory, and determine what color temperature is closest to D6500 by looking at the setting used by RTINGS.com. The Delta E of your white balance should be somewhere close to 3, I would think.

Forian got back to me on displaycal, he thinks my meter is probably too old or shafted, its still unclear though.

I'll look at my settings on RTINGS again and report back, thanks @Smile
(2019-09-07, 12:28)Warner306 Wrote:

Good advice but just to clarify that last sentence; the default workflow from DisplayCAL guides you through the white balance gain adjustment before profiling (and before creating the 3D LUT).  You can disable this, and I have actually observed better 3D LUT results by doing this and doing a full 20pt calibration outside of DisplayCAL first, which helps particularly with low end gamma (but is probably overkill).

One of the main reasons I love Kodi DSPlayer is it combines the pretty GUI elements of Kodi with the powerful processing (and 3D LUT ability) of madVR Smile.
I think most allow the 3D LUT to correct the grayscale. That is what it is intended to do. This should work well most of the time as long as the display Delta E is not extremely high beforehand, like Delta E ~8.
So, looks to me like no Dev is coming to the rescue with a new build - is that a fair assessment? If so, I have an idea....well, kinda.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
Up above.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
(2019-09-11, 17:58)oldpainless Wrote: So, looks to me like no Dev is coming to the rescue with a new build - is that a fair assessment? If so, I have an idea....well, kinda.
What idea? I don't understand...
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-09-11, 22:23)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-09-11, 17:58)oldpainless Wrote: So, looks to me like no Dev is coming to the rescue with a new build - is that a fair assessment? If so, I have an idea....well, kinda.
What idea? I don't understand... 
Could try to crowdfund and use a cheap software dev company - no idea of the cost, but its one idea.
You would first have to find a suitable developer and then contact them about a price to understand how much it would cost.
Can I give my 2 cents here?

I'm a noob dev, started learning just recently and I don't even know enough to be called a dev at all.

The best approach to bring dsplayer to Kodi 18 or 19 would be:

Fork aracnoz git
Merge with Kodi 18.
Try to build.
Fix all the errors.
The ones that can't be fixed, gets deleted.

In 3 months I'll end my graduation and this would be a fun project but I really doubt I can pull this off. This code is years beyond any ability I have.

Also dsplayer doesn't support libbluray and adding support to it is really beyond what I can ever do in this lifetime.
Because of that, to me personally, it's not that interesting.

Still it would be really cool if someone could do it Smile
what we really need is to somehow convince KODI devs to add external filters to the movie player, I imagine the request has been made many times before though and has basically zero chance of happening.  Smile
(2019-09-12, 17:16)fandangos Wrote: Can I give my 2 cents here?

I'm a noob dev, started learning just recently and I don't even know enough to be called a dev at all.

The best approach to bring dsplayer to Kodi 18 or 19 would be:

Fork aracnoz git
Merge with Kodi 18.
Try to build.
Fix all the errors.
The ones that can't be fixed, gets deleted.

In 3 months I'll end my graduation and this would be a fun project but I really doubt I can pull this off. This code is years beyond any ability I have.

Also dsplayer doesn't support libbluray and adding support to it is really beyond what I can ever do in this lifetime.
Because of that, to me personally, it's not that interesting.

Still it would be really cool if someone could do it Smile

Yeah, I thought about trying that myself. But I assume the number of code conflicts would be too large for me to not make several mistakes. GitHub does guide you through the merge conflicts by putting brackets around them, but you still don't know if simply moving the code up or down will end up working in the end if you don't understand the underlying code.
(2019-09-12, 18:52)mclingo Wrote: what we really need is to somehow convince KODI devs to add external filters to the movie player, I imagine the request has been made many times before though and has basically zero chance of happening.  Smile

The ability to create add-ons with this type of support already exists, but I don't think alternative video renderers are possible. And that add-on would have to be developed from scratch.
Hey guys,
So I'm pulling my hair out here. My setup includes an nVidia 1050 Ti outputting to an LG OLED TV. For most files, DSplayer plays them beautifully, passing through the HDR metadata with no problems.
However, it just straight up REFUSES to play back certain files.
When I hit play on these certain files, the display goes black, my TV displays the 'HDR' notification, and then it jumps back into the Kodi UI as if I hadn't pressed play to start with.

As far as I can tell, these files are identical to the other files which DSplayer plays perfectly. They are both MKV files. Both 4K resolution. Opening two of them in mediainfo tells me they're both HEVC, both 10bit color depth.

I honestly can't tell why DSplayer has a problem with these few files!
I've looked everywhere in the help guides, scoured this thread, and made sure I haven't missed anything in the initial setup.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me insane!
  • 492(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47