• 507(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
I think it won't be necessary to do that  Smile

Finally seems 100% fixed all stuttering/tearing NVIDIA issues: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2921096

In HDR/SDR  4K/1080p  and  HDR 60fps
(2020-02-02, 20:25)Mordred Wrote:
(2020-01-12, 13:26)curael Wrote:
(2020-01-12, 12:39)CyberVillain Wrote: I'm looking at getting madVR to integrate with Kodi, why isnt this branch of Kodi pulled into master? It seems its unmaintained too, master is now at 18.x

The project has had no maintainer since 17.x. Maintaining DSplayer and to build/port it into Leia branch is not an easy feat and sadly no one has had the combination of time and skill required to do so.  

Has anyone actually attempted this? I'm sure I'm not going to make much progress here and will probably have to give up when I can't get the pipeline to build, but I'm already about 8 hours and about 450 of the 500+ merge conflicting files resolved (of updating this to the original 18.0 release). Hell VS Code can't even handle a git changelist with more than 5k files in it. If by some magic I can get 18.0 w/ DSPlayer to work, then I can start the arduous task of doing it all over again for the other 18.x milestones.

Anyway, if someone else has been stupid enough to try this before, I'd love to get together and discuss issues and roadblocks.  

I did all this a few months back. It doesn't work. 
When you finish you will have duplicated inputs, it will not work. 

I discussed this recently and got some valuable information on how to do it. 

If you git log it, you will see Aracnoz started working on it in 2014 with a commit:

commit 70d34371725e16dec002327e197f560a59605765
    Author: aracnoz <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com> (privacy change)
Date:   Thu Oct 9 14:00:57 2014 +0200

Added DSPlayer to Kodi Helix

429 files changed, 138599 insertions(+), 246 deletions(-)

commit c86eaf2940dc14e8588a9f4411ab24062395e3b0

I'm still learning but the way to do it is by a 3-way merge. 
You have a folder with Kodi main branch, one for with DSplayer and one for that is a shared branch.
A shared branch is a folder with the last common commit of Aracnoz fork and Kodi. 

And you use Araxis Merge:
https://www.araxis.com/merge/

And compare the three. This way you can see exactly which change was made into Kodi and what change is done by DSplayer. 
The only problem is when a file does not exist anymore. So you have to do it manually and figure out the correct place for your change.
Thanks for the tip. Most of the changes going from 17-18 have been pretty easy so far since aracnoz's stuff is almost always wrapped in #ifdef HAS_DS_PLAYER, and then it's just a matter of making sure that code still belongs where it belongs, and updating the variable names, and accessor functions his code uses.

I'm gonna see how far off I am at the end of this merge stuff (only 72 files left!) and see how difficult it looks to get things in working-ish order. Will probably abandon for you and jogal's work, but it's been an interesting process so far. Even if it's wasted effort it finally gave me a reason to install the Linux subsystem on Windows too so that I can do git things from a terminal that I needed to do, so that's a plus.
(2020-02-03, 00:25)Mordred Wrote: Thanks for the tip. Most of the changes going from 17-18 have been pretty easy so far since aracnoz's stuff is almost always wrapped in #ifdef HAS_DS_PLAYER, and then it's just a matter of making sure that code still belongs where it belongs, and updating the variable names, and accessor functions his code uses.

I'm gonna see how far off I am at the end of this merge stuff (only 72 files left!) and see how difficult it looks to get things in working-ish order. Will probably abandon for you and jogal's work, but it's been an interesting process so far. Even if it's wasted effort it finally gave me a reason to install the Linux subsystem on Windows too so that I can do git things from a terminal that I needed to do, so that's a plus.

I was doing exactly the same, by hand after greping all the ifdef has_ds_player but if you look at the araxis merge I can see files that were not on that list.

I have this going for v19 missing 20 files or so. 
I can upload it to you. I was just copying and pasting and commenting the ifdef has_ds_player. I haven't started to translate this yet. 
I stopped because I got the tip about Araxis Merge. 

And as many here will tell you, don't give up on this. My version or Jogal's is nothing compared to what Madvr can deliver. 
It's a beast of a renderer. 
The tone mapping it can do is just insane. 
The NGU upscaling is beyond anything ever released.

It's totally worth all the trouble. 
I REALLY REALLY would like someone to work this with.
I obviously can't do this alone and having another head to think this trough I believe it can be done.
(2020-02-03, 00:47)fandangos Wrote: I was doing exactly the same, by hand after greping all the ifdef has_ds_player but if you look at the araxis merge I can see files that were not on that list.

I can upload it to you. I was just copying and pasting and commenting the ifdef has_ds_player. I haven't started to translate this yet. 

If you've got a branch that's ahead of where I am, put it up as a branch and I'll take a look.

MadVR is definitely the best way to watch stuff, and it's a shame we have to compromise to stay up to date with the latest Kodi features.
(2020-02-03, 00:57)Mordred Wrote:
(2020-02-03, 00:47)fandangos Wrote: I was doing exactly the same, by hand after greping all the ifdef has_ds_player but if you look at the araxis merge I can see files that were not on that list.

If you've got a branch that's ahead of where I am, put it up as a branch and I'll take a look.

MadVR is definitely the best way to watch stuff, and it's a shame we have to compromise to stay up to date with the latest Kodi features.  

It's not on a branch, I was doing by hand on my pc:
https://mega.nz/#!vZNhSIjb!uQztXd8p_qAYC...2Jwz_atr9o

and I've stopped at advancedsettings
https://pastebin.com/4gv7XqDE

I was following this to track where I need to apply the changes.
As you can see it's not missing much but I've looked for all the files that needed to be placed in a file that got moved. 
So the changes need to be translated to what kodi uses today but those are in the right place I believe.
(2020-02-02, 20:37)jogal Wrote: I think it won't be necessary to do that  Smile

Finally seems 100% fixed all stuttering/tearing NVIDIA issues: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2921096

Oh but it is, as madVR is a far superiour video render than the built in videoplayer of Kodi.  No disrespect to your work intended!
(2020-02-03, 04:47)spencerjford Wrote:

Oh but it is, as madVR is a far superiour video render than the built in videoplayer of Kodi.  No disrespect to your work intended!      

I do not doubt that madVR is superior in options, but the real question is:

Do all people need it?

For example, I was watching yesterday Gemini Man 4K 60 fps HDR10 pass-through with an Intel NUC8i3BEK and simply better quality is impossible because it is the maximum that my Sony AG9 55” can give. I am clear that I do NOT need madVR for my current needs.

Then there are several characteristic user profiles:

1. Buy the cheapest graphics card that works with madVR (this question is repeated many times in the forums) and buy a GTX 1030 or similar. Then in madVR it disables everything and leaves the quality to a minimum because if it is not “choppy playback” is obtained.

2. Buy the best $900 graphics card and activate all filters and custom options in madVR to the fullest, use custom calibrations, etc. If you keep reading and realize that he is doing HDR to SDR tone mapping when he has a TV that is HDR capable!! Then he says he prefers it that way because he likes it more image obtained... WTF!!!

In general, it seems that without madVR, 4K content cannot be played on Windows.

This is due to three factors:
  • Ignorance and lack of technical knowledge.
  • Human nature to reject changes.
  • Human nature to follow the crowd.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this aloud.
(2020-02-03, 19:56)jogal Wrote:
(2020-02-03, 04:47)spencerjford Wrote:

I do not doubt that madVR is superior in options, but the real question is:

Do all people need it?
For example, I was watching yesterday Gemini Man 4K 60 fps HDR10 pass-through with an Intel NUC8i3BEK and simply better quality is impossible because it is the maximum that my Sony AG9 55” can give. I am clear that I do NOT need madVR for my current needs.Then there are several characteristic user profiles: 1. Buy the cheapest graphics card that works with madVR (this question is repeated many times in the forums) and buy a GTX 1030 or similar. Then in madVR it disables everything and leaves the quality to a minimum because if it is not “choppy playback” is obtained. 2. Buy the best $900 graphics card and activate all filters and custom options in madVR to the fullest, use custom calibrations, etc. If you keep reading and realize that he is doing HDR to SDR tone mapping when he has a TV that is HDR capable!! Then he says he prefers it that way because he likes it more image obtained... WTF!!!In general, it seems that without madVR, 4K content cannot be played on Windows.This is due to three factors:
  • Ignorance and lack of technical knowledge.
  • Human nature to reject changes.
  • Human nature to follow the crowd.
I just wanted to share my thoughts on this aloud. 
1.  madVR tone mapping is superior to most if not all tv's internal tone mapping.  
2.  I have a lower end hdr tv and going hdr to sdr conversion makes for a far superior picture for me.  

Now you have an excellent tv, so for your needs madVR may not be as apparent.  

Like I had said, and had meant, I don't mean any disrespect to your work with your fork of Kodi.

It is not ignorant to know lower end, not the best OLED tv or whatever is nearly equivalent isn't going produce the best HDR image.
(2020-02-03, 19:56)jogal Wrote: I do not doubt that madVR is superior in options, but the real question is:

Do all people need it?
Well I have a quite beefy HTPC (core i5, RTX2070) and a rather decent TV (Samsung QE65Q9FNATXZG), but if it wasn't for "Kodi DSPlayer" I would still be using MediaPortal for a few very simple reasons.

The official version of Kodi (incl. 18 which I tested when it was released):
  • always had issues changing the refresh rate and even if that worked I still had stutter - fixed by MadVR (with my current custom timings there is no repeated frame for more than 15minutes)
  • always had troubles playing some of my files / crashed quite A LOT - fixed by DsPlayer and its use of LAV Filters
  • always had troubles/failed passing through TrueHD, DTS-MA - fixed by DsPlayer and its use of LAV Filters

I find madVR + mpc external player to be the perfect compromise. You get all of the good stuff from both sides.
@jogal  - I get your point on good quality 4k material. The problem, for me anyway, is sub 4k material using stock Kodi scalers does not come anywhere close to what MadVr can do.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
(2020-02-04, 09:35)oldpainless Wrote: @jogal  - I get your point on good quality 4k material. The problem, for me anyway, is sub 4k material using stock Kodi scalers does not come anywhere close to what MadVr can do.

I use the internal TV scaler.

Imagine the situation: you buy the latest 4K TV model and connect an "old" Blu-Ray player. Where is the scaler? Isn't it going to look good? 

Has Blu-Ray player madVR inside?  Has TV madVR inside?

Kodi outputs 1080p (passthrough) and TV scales it to 4K. The TV is the one that best knows its own panel and knows how to scale the image to get the best result (or very good result) .
Again, I get what you are saying. I guess you could output 1080p to a 4k panel via Kodi, but for me, I'm not sure it makes much sense if the media file is 1080p and sub, but, each to their own.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
(2020-02-04, 09:07)Cinephile Wrote:

I find madVR + mpc external player to be the perfect compromise. You get all of the good stuff from both sides.

With external players I use Jriver paired with kodi.
Mpc-hc lacks full disc menu support.

The problem as I said is the user interface of jriver which is terrible.

I was thinking about removing the restriction to run 2 kodi instances so people could use DSPlayer as an external player with the newest kodi 19 but dsplayer still works fine.
This is not needed for now the way I see it.

Hopping for @Mordred to take a look at the files I uploaded, maybe he has a better chance updating dsplayer to kodi 19.
  • 507(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47