MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up
(2015-05-12, 07:12)DocG Wrote: Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Still looking at the 18th for delivery. Actually, I did watch Lon's review and he mentioned that you cannot boot off the 2.5" SSD. If that's the case, is there a modded firmware which allows you to?

I'm unable to reproduce Lon's findings -- I can install to and boot from an internally-connected 2.5" HDD in both Win8/UEFI mode and legacy boot mode (both Windows and Linux). I don't know if Lon updated to the latest firmware though, and I never tested with the stock/OOTB firmware, which was slightly older.
(2015-05-12, 07:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-12, 07:12)DocG Wrote: Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Still looking at the 18th for delivery. Actually, I did watch Lon's review and he mentioned that you cannot boot off the 2.5" SSD. If that's the case, is there a modded firmware which allows you to?

I'm unable to reproduce Lon's findings -- I can install to and boot from an internally-connected 2.5" HDD in both Win8/UEFI mode and legacy boot mode (both Windows and Linux). I don't know if Lon updated to the latest firmware though, and I never tested with the stock/OOTB firmware, which was slightly older.

Good to hear. While the unit doesn't look quite as nice with the 2.5" SSD attachment, I actually like what they did there. Might not use it in the end, but it's definitely good to have that option without increasing the size of the unit.
If anyone is interested, I'm going to be selling my White Celeron 3205U Cubi. Everything works great on it, I'm just going to be focusing my dev efforts on newer ChromeOS devices. Can sell it as a barebones unit, or with 2/4/8GB of ram and 128GB SSD. PM me if interested

thanks,
Matt
(2015-05-11, 09:10)Matt Devo Wrote: BTW, I have a modded version of the latest MSI firmware (8.00) for the Cubi if you are interested. It contains an updated UEFI GOP driver (5.5.1032 vs 1031), updated legacy VGA BIOS (1038 vs 1032), and updated ME firmware (10.0.38.1000 vs 10.0.30.1072). Flashes with the standard MSI DOS update tool (thankfully boot guard / measured boot are not enabled on these boxes)

Hi Matt, while I don't need another unit I'd try that modded firmware. Quite happy with the unit so far, but I guess like everything it's got pros and cons. I'd definitely have to recommend it for the price I've paid though.
(2015-05-23, 10:30)DocG Wrote: Hi Matt, while I don't need another unit I'd try that modded firmware. Quite happy with the unit so far, but I guess like everything it's got pros and cons. I'd definitely have to recommend it for the price I've paid though.

I haven't found any glaring issues yet - pretty much works OOTB for all OSes. Sending you a PM with the modded firmware
Whoever missed out on the last deal, limited stock of the black Celeron at $107.08. I'm good now, but it's a great buy at that price with free shipping.
Great price, anyone contemplating a quality Kodi media player should jump on this straight away. Don't even bother looking any further.

Ordered one an hour ago at the $107.08 price, went back now to grab one more but it is back to $149.99 already. Thanks for the heads up though!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Has anyone confirmed if 4K@60Hz works on the DP port?

The white Cubi briefly dropped to $100 a few days ago. Tempting!
I don't own an unit but according to http://us.msi.com/product/bb/Cubi-Mini-P...o-overview :

MSI USA Wrote:4K UHD SUPPORT

MSI® Cubi supports HD and 4K (3840 x 2160 @60Hz) ultra-high-definition content, to serve as an HTPC that helps to change your living room in a home theater where you can enjoy the best display quality.

* Requires Core i3 and above, Dual Channel Memory
Thanks @oWarchild, I already saw that disclaimer on the site but was skeptical because the Intel docs imply that 4K@60Hz via DP is supported by the Celeron:

The Celeron 3205U is classified as a "Mobile Celeron" processor.

So that's why I'm wondering if the 3205U can drive 4K@60Hz. Big Grin

But, as you note, the website quote is fairly clear that it's not supported.

It would be great if someone could try it on a 4K/60/DP panel!
That's an interesting document.

There is still the matter of HEVC/H265 decoding... Broadwell uses hybrid decoding which has no drivers for linux and it's unlikely that Kodi will support it, meaning that HEVC will have to be software decoded in Kodi. The Celeron won't have enough oomph to decode it so even if the Celeron supports 4K H264 it won't support 4K HEVC. In this respect the Braswell boxes which support hardware HEVC decoding seem a better option.
Does this wake from usb?
Looking into these but without a msata. Has anyone been able to boot using the stock BIOS using a 2.5 drive?
Sadly my requirements have change and need a Windows box... My other two choices seem to have been discontinued, the Zotac BI320 and HP Mini...
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-10-14, 23:32)shabuboy Wrote: Looking into these but without a msata. Has anyone been able to boot using the stock BIOS using a 2.5 drive?
Sadly my requirements have change and need a Windows box... My other two choices seem to have been discontinued, the Zotac BI320 and HP Mini...

get a Braswell-based NUC or Beebox then, there's no reason to bother with Broadwell

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MSI Cubi mini-desktops (Broadwell) now available $150 and up0