One Device - NAS or external hard drive?
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to finally join the Kodi community and get a Chromebox.

However, I'm unsure what the best way to store my media is.

My setup will only involve one device - I won't need to access it anywhere else in the house.
Is it best to just purchase an external hard drive and connect it straight to the Chromebox? Or is having a NAS a better solution?

Any help is appreciated.
NAS. Even though it is a bit more complicated than a USB HD.

Next thing you know you are going to be accessing your media from phones and tablets...

ADDED:
Separating storage from client gives you some pros and cons: Pros, if you select the correct storage device, it can be years before you touch it again. WIth the Kodi client, it could be very soon the way things are changing. Upgrade hardware/software independently from each other
Cons: another device to manag.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
If you really only want one box and you are going to store some media you can save a lot of money by not buying the chromebox and build a mid-tower atx or matx intel computer and add storage to it as you need.

The chromebox isn't really good or special in any way, it's just a convenient/cheap way to add extra Kodi x86 boxes to your home setup when you already have your media storage situation worked out with a nas or server. If you have no existing storage, a custom build will be cheaper because you can add the storage and do the playback from a single box with the flexibility to put a good deal more storage in said box when needed
I'd start with a USB drive as you are just starting off and probably don't want to invest in a NAS yet. Later, once you have a bunch of media, you can upgrade to a NAS.

The problem with Dark_Slayer's solution is that you have to keep the computer by the TV and you'd constantly hear the fan. I tried this solution when I first upgraded from an Xbox way back when, but the fans got to me. I later used USB drives and now have a NAS tucked away in a closet.
They make fairly long HDMI redmere cables

The problem with a NAS is that they are expensive, inflexible, and typically to weak to do anything other than serve files
(2015-04-09, 01:18)Dark_Slayer Wrote: They make fairly long HDMI redmere cables

The problem with a NAS is that they are expensive, inflexible, and typically to weak to do anything other than serve files

Not if you build the NAS yourself or get a good pre-built one. Certain pre-built NASes can transcode audio and video for UPnP and DLNA streaming or act as a MySQL server for a centralized Kodi database.

They can also be DNLA/UPNP/FTP/www/https/scp/sftp servers, or desktops/tablets/phone backup servers, or a torrent client, some come with photo, video, and music streaming apps, VPN and so many more things. It all depends on your requirements and $$$.

Most home NAS devices run some light flavor of Linux, so options are quite a lot.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Another option that is common these days is just to plug a HDD into your router if it supports file sharing.

Cheap, effective and hides the HDD away from your Kodi box and viewing area if your worried about aesthetics.

@shabuboy @Soul_Est

What do you consider a NAS when you refer to "building it yourself"
(2015-04-09, 06:00)wrxtasy Wrote: Another option that is common these days is just to plug a HDD into your router if it supports file sharing.

Cheap, effective and hides the HDD away from your Kodi box and viewing area if your worried about aesthetics.

Been using this solution for years and its just right for my needs.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote

The longer your HDMI cable, the more issues you could run into.

Not all NASs are expensive, you can pick up something like a 2TB WD MyCloud for $130-150(USD).

As for being inflexible, weak or do anything other than serve files........well, then that comes down to price. If you want something that will do more then you can get it, something like THIS (or it's bigger brothers) comes to mind. But it comes down to you get what you pay for.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks everyone.

I'm not the most technical person, but I think I'll try @Tinwarble's suggestion and get something like the MyCloud.
Seems easy enough and it means I won't have to have an external hard drive plugged into my machine. I'd rather have something running near my router.
(2015-04-09, 08:35)Dark_Slayer Wrote: @shabuboy @Soul_Est

What do you consider a NAS when you refer to "building it yourself"

A Build-your-own-PC with hard drive for storage only. This PC would be headless. On the OS, too many options, Windows, Linux, Unraid, Freenas, etc.

Supafly,

I have the WD My Book Live version which is the previous release to the MyCloud. And my NAS is most of the things I mentioned on earlier post.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-04-10, 00:47)shabuboy Wrote: A Build-your-own-PC with hard drive for storage only. This PC would be headless. On the OS, too many options, Windows, Linux, Unraid, Freenas, etc

That's the same thing I would recommend, except I call it a server or server/htpc instead (depending on whether it does double duty). You call it a NAS. No use arguing over that distinction for 10+ pages . . . at least disregarding terminology differences we are on the same page
Big Grin

They are quite different, a HTPC would need software to play the media, video card, sound, etc. Not quite the same, at least not when it comes to terminology. But yes, HTPC can double as a file server but still, not really a NAS. Check these links:

http://www.homemediatech.net/why-having-...in-one/266
http://mymediaexperience.com/first-htpc-tips/#tip5
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One Device - NAS or external hard drive?0