• 4(current)
Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db
Atramhasis Wrote:Oh, there is new wind! Can we hope?

The description in trac is great, just like it should be:

Anyone knows whether there are any news around this? Topic is hotter than ever given XBMC for ATV working out so well now!!! Thanks a million in advance.

Cheers!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Sorry for pushing this thread up again. Any news on this? Still any development?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
XBMC's Music Library obviously takes full advantage of MP3 tags. But does XBMX take advantage of picture tags for the Photo Library?

Picture tags are becoming more and more useful, and more and more people are using them. Title, Comments, Tags are all available to be added to most picture file formats. Does the Atlantis build of XBMC take advantage of these?

If not, are there plans to for a future release?

Thanks
There is no photo library. But yes, it will show ExifInfo - there's a picture info dialog for instance available from the context menu, and all these are also available within the lists from the skin.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi all. I'm brand new to XBMC (this is my first post). I've been a long time HTPC user, through. Started with MyHTPC, Meedio, SageTV, Windows Media Center... and now XBMC!!! It is awesome. I'm very impressed so far.

However, tag-based picture browsing is the killer missing feature for me personally. I have thousands of photos meticulously tagged and rated (IPTC/XMP metadata embedded in files). Photoshop elements actually loads a plugin into Windows Media Center that allows tag & album based browsing, but the User Interface is crap. Getting this functionality in XBMC with a slick UI would be HTPC nirvana for me!

The ultimate use-case would be to select a tag or tag-combination & start a slideshow. Then, as you're viewing each photo, a menu button would show you other tags for that photo, and allow you pick one of the new tags to start a new slideshow (think... if you like this photo, here's some more like it)

Obviously, this would require creating a Database for the photos, and scanning the photos for metadata to populate it. This would be a powerful feature, though
I would totally be for creating a photo library using exif data from my photos...
We already do exif parse. This thread is about collating that info into a db for browsing purposes.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

hi all !

The idea to bring picture infos (exif, tags...) into a DB came also in my mind and I found this topic.
A real media center shouldn't be composed only by music and video. I really think picture DB is needed !

I'm going to work on it through python, but could be much better to integrate it in xbmc.

I have tons of family photos, and would like to run a slideshow using dates and not only folders.

Please, please.... add this functionnality !!
Is there any new news here? This thread was started in '06 but not much has happened since then. Is this because of the enourmity of the task of creating a pictures DB/library?

I, personally, would like to be able to view all my pictures in XBMC in an intuitive way. But currently it doesn't seem possible. I have all my photos downloaded from my camera and then tag them with keywords using Adobe Bridge. So, in Adobe Bridge if i want to see all my photos taken on/at a beach or just search keywords for beach and it returns all those images tagged 'beach'..Something like this would be great in XBMC.

Also great would be the ability of smart playlists etc. whereby folders are created based on tags (think genre/s etc. for movies).

What do we need to do to get a DEV or ANYBODY interested to do this? I certainly would if i knew how. But as i say all the time, i only have ideas, not technical knowedge.
To Devs:

I've seem to remember that scanning exif info of jpeg pictures
to database much the same as for videos and music was a suggestion
brought up for the google summer of code 2009.

What is the current development status, is it going to happen ?

Reason i ask is that the picture/slideshow part of xbmc has been left out for so long time. I understand that this function is not as important as others but i use the picture feature allot to show images to friends and familly when they visit.'

So i decided to maybe add some more stuff to mypics.xml but from
what i can find in the wiki regarding pulling out info like exif its not much to do as of now, i.e not that many controls to use.

###########
EDIT:
Okay so i didn't see this thread, now that my post got moved here i find it a little embarrasing Smile
This is my take and it's probably all re-iterated from this monster of a thread, devs feel free to correct me.
If any of the current devs were inclined or motivated to do this, it would definitely already be done. The code is 90%+ in place in the music and video libraries. "All" it takes is an enterprising person with the required know-how to piece it together
I'll be waiting in the back dishing out numbers to interested parties.

(and yes, I moved the post)
I really hope this feature becomes reality some point in time.

db info would open op a new world to skinners like myself who would
like to create some new view/info types for pictures.

I guess there also would be a need for some new type of controls in the skinning engine to support such a feature...
sho Wrote:This is my take and it's probably all re-iterated from this monster of a thread, devs feel free to correct me.
If any of the current devs were inclined or motivated to do this, it would definitely already be done. The code is 90%+ in place in the music and video libraries. "All" it takes is an enterprising person with the required know-how to piece it together

This doesnt sound too bad. Hope you are right and sooner or later someone will picki up this feature. Would really be great and a fantastic alternative to the iphoto plugin that I currently use.
Question 
I have my picture library (29K pictures) all indexed with the picture tags.

In Aeon is possible to show the tags in the picture screens?
Can I search/select by tags?
Can I sort by tags?

I tried but so far I was not able to show them in the skin nor to do the other options...
sorry to ask but I'm quite new to Aeon...

mf
If you think I'm useful please use the +/- button to raise my reputation
The-Boxhead Wrote:I really hope this feature becomes reality some point in time.

db info would open op a new world to skinners like myself who would
like to create some new view/info types for pictures.

I guess there also would be a need for some new type of controls in the skinning engine to support such a feature...

Fully agreed. That would be fantastic!!!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db2