Can't copy recorded tv files
When I'm trying to copy a recording to my laptop, I keep getting "Could not find this item This is no longer located in \\OPENELEC\New Volume\Recorded TV. Verify the items location and try again.
Obviously the location is a hard drive - the files still play on Kodi on the device they are on (raspberry pi 2). But now I can't copy in order to edit and archive. Sad

Is it something to do with the mpeg license?
So you can see the file when you browse to your recordings folder but you can't copy them? It could be due to certain characters in the filename, you should probably check the "use samba-safe characters" option in your recording profile.
thanks - where can I find the recording profile? Is it accessed via the tv headend page or somewhere in Kodi settings?
Via the tvheadend web interface. The specific option I mentioned is only available in newer builds, but even in the stable version there's a setting to remove unusual characters from file names.
Depending on your tvheadend version, you also have a 'Download' button on the web interface... you could use that?

Digital Video Recorder -> Finished Recordings
Right - tried the finished recordings thing, but every recording I have ever made is listed under "failed recordings" there is nothing in the finished recordings.
I tried connecting a regular k/b and mouse in case I could bring up extra options in openelec (Context and rename) but nothing doing.

In recording (on the headend server page) I have just found and ticked both "use windows compatible filenames" and "remove all unsafe characters from filename" so I'll see if future recordings are ok.The filename character set I left set to ASCII.
Err. Do you even have recordings that work in the first place?
Had the same problem too. Over here it was because of the not allowed filenames for windows.
Only way I was able to solve it was log on to the tvheadend server via FTP/SCP and rename the records there.
When this is the same problem as you have, make sure to enable "Use windows compatible filenames" in configuration, recordings.
This way you won't run into it in the future.
I've just hooked up to my network with a Linux machine (which is a first for me) in the hope it might do better with these file names, but it can't even see the files at all, let alone do anything with them. However, if I use the Linux machine to go to tvheadend page it can see them then (albeit under failed recordings, as per my other windows based machine). Yes they are there and I can play them on the raspberry pi running openelec, and even play them on the windows machine, but I can't copy them or rename them, so I can't archive them!
Any other ideas? I tried all the different settings and still programs are being recorded with a ":" in the title - that is the symbol causing all the trouble.
It's probably to do with either your local permissions or samba permissions.
Try logging in via SSH to the RPI and tell us what the permissions are for the files in question.
If a file has invalid character Windows will display them as e.g. VHGFT~1.ts which allows you to rename them. I think the bug that left ":" in filenames has been fixed recently though.
Ive logged on with SSH, but no clue what to do next!
cd to the location of your recordings

ls -la to list them all in long form

That will tell you what the Linux system sees their names as, and also the permissions/owners (e.g. rwxr-xr-x Bill Ben as permission/owner/group).
Infact - have just been finding out about using this command line and had some success (but not much) I can't seem to get the typing just right, but have an idea of what to do now.
The files are in /New Volume/Recorded TV (with spaces). I tried ls -l then various combinations such as /'New Volume' /'Recorded TV' / etc... but just says "no such file or directory".
I must be getting close!
If you haven't got there already...

1. 'New Volume' may not be the real root directory - if you got that from, say, a Windows box that's accessing the directory remotely, then you need to know what the OE (source) OS calls it, not what it advertises it as.

Depending on what's installed on OE, this should work:

smbstatus --shares

... and it will list what source directories you're publishing.

2. When cd-ing to a directory, type the first few characters and then press 'tab' - it'll auto-complete any matching strings.

3. Spaces are protected characters in Linux. You can use them , however, but the command-line will interpret them as command separators unless you tell it not to - a process called 'escaping'. Simply, put a slash in front of them, e.g.

cd /New\ Volume/Recorded\ TV

or put the whole string in quotes, e.g.

cd "/New Volume/Recorded TV"

4. Look what's in the tvheadend web interface in terms of a recording path. That will be what the host OS calls that directory - not what it's shared as, not what any client sees it as. Depending on version, it should be in Configuration -> Recording.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't copy recorded tv files0