• 4(current)
Release Library Node Editor
Hello, I came across this addon a few days ago and since then I've been trying to create a node of recent episodes within the Family genre. This would be awesome and the addon seems to be exactly what I've been looking for.

I created a new node within TV Shows
Content: Episode
Order: Date added descending

I though I'd just have to create a rule for Genre is Family but that doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm using the Confluence skin on Kodi v16.0 and I'd like to edit the "Recently Added" node. It does not seem to let me, only gives me a url. What I want to do is make the limit 20. Is this possible?
The recently added nodes, by default, link to library 'paths'. The content within these paths is set by Kodi itself, and can't be changed with the node editor. What you can do is create a new 'rule based' node (and I have to go off memory here, as it appears that the node editor isn't currently working for me, and I don't currently have either the time to fix or knowledge of where best to send said fix):-

New Node...
<Enter name of node>
<Select newly added node>
Add Content...
<Choose content of node - episodes, movies, etc>
Add Order...
<Choose first item and select 'Date added' or similar option>
Go 'Back'
Add Limit...

As I say, I can't check the exact naming of the options you need, but using that as a guide should get you pretty close...

Edit:- And if you want to edit the existing node, you can highlight the 'Path' component, bring up the context menu and select 'Delete' and then add the content and such as above. It's worth noting, though, that many of Confluences main menu items go directly to the 'Path', rather than going to the relevant node. So updating may not change what is accessed when going through the main menu.)
(2016-03-11, 01:58)BobCratchett Wrote: It's worth noting, though, that many of Confluences main menu items go directly to the 'Path', rather than going to the relevant node. So updating may not change what is accessed when going through the main menu.)

yeah, this is kind of an issue imo.

it feels to me we're stuck in some split situation here, where the main menu often links to db paths,
yet if you browse to the same section through the library you'll end up in the xml node.

ie.:
main menu > movies (=db path)
main menu > videos > movies > title (=xml node)

perhaps it's time to start a discussion among skinners if it would be an idea to fully switch to linking to the xml nodes instead of linking to db paths.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-03-11, 09:45)ronie Wrote: perhaps it's time to start a discussion among skinners if it would be an idea to fully switch to linking to the xml nodes instead of linking to db paths.

Do remember that you get different drill down navigation behaviour from the default/path nodes than you do with playlist/rule based nodes, at least in music. Longer description of this here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2271377

As a user I would miss the path node behaviour, this is a more fundamental change than may at first be obvious.

Extending the Node editor to create path type nodes too would be good Smile
(2016-03-11, 09:45)ronie Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 01:58)BobCratchett Wrote: It's worth noting, though, that many of Confluences main menu items go directly to the 'Path', rather than going to the relevant node. So updating may not change what is accessed when going through the main menu.)

yeah, this is kind of an issue imo.

it feels to me we're stuck in some split situation here, where the main menu often links to db paths,
yet if you browse to the same section through the library you'll end up in the xml node.

ie.:
main menu > movies (=db path)
main menu > videos > movies > title (=xml node)

perhaps it's time to start a discussion among skinners if it would be an idea to fully switch to linking to the xml nodes instead of linking to db paths.
The problem with library nodes is that there is no guarantee that there is a movie node. If someone wants it can strip the movie node out and then the skin points to a not existing path
(2016-03-11, 11:05)DaveBlake Wrote: Extending the Node editor to create path type nodes too would be good Smile

When I have the time to work on it, I'm willing to update the script as necessary. The issue it that I'm not familiar with the various paths available. If you know of a link to the different paths for music and video - within the Kodi source code if necessary - that would be a great help.

(Just pointing it out, the editor can create path type nodes, but they require manually typing the path which isn't very user-friendly)
(2016-03-11, 13:01)BobCratchett Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 11:05)DaveBlake Wrote: Extending the Node editor to create path type nodes too would be good Smile

When I have the time to work on it, I'm willing to update the script as necessary. The issue it that I'm not familiar with the various paths available. If you know of a link to the different paths for music and video - within the Kodi source code if necessary - that would be a great help.

(Just pointing it out, the editor can create path type nodes, but they require manually typing the path which isn't very user-friendly)

Great if you will look at this. I am very fond of my path based custom nodes, created manually, but other people could benefit if the editor made it easy. There is a list of basic paths here http://kodi.wiki/view/Opening_Windows_and_Dialogs

In music you can also create the url for filtering below these, I assume the same is true of video, but here isn't any wiki for either. An example would be
Code:
<path>musicdb://artists/?role=Composer&genre=Rock</path>
That would show artists that have the role of composer and songs of Rock genre.

The parameters for music are: genre, genreid, artist, artistid, album, albumid, role, roleid, year, compilation, albumlartistonly. They can only be combined in AND. A look at how the option string is procesed in CMusicDatabase::GetFilter might make it clearer.

If I can be of any help with the please PM me.
(2016-03-11, 12:09)phate89 Wrote: The problem with library nodes is that there is no guarantee that there is a movie node. If someone wants it can strip the movie node out and then the skin points to a not existing path

yup, i'm aware and this is the main/only reason we never added it to confluence.
but i think it's time to tackle that situation somehow.

we allow users to customize the nodes, but it's odd (and very confusing) they don't see the result
when using the main menu on the home screen.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks for explaining that.
Any help testing a version of the node editor with better support for paths welcome.

Test branch here

Knowns gotcha's:-

* Krypton only, but may be elements of the script ('pretty' select dialog, ...) that haven't been updated for Krypton yet
* No filtering of components available for music paths - the code is there to do it, but I'm not familiar enough with using Kodi for music.
* Only limited testing so far with unicode and other tricky characters

Let me know how it works for you.
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me. I'm tentatively playing with this addon through the gui (wouldn't have a clue through codes etc) how can I get the nodes without an image icon? I tried to remove them but it just resets to default folder icon. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
(2016-03-17, 09:01)jonsco2 Wrote: Hi, I wonder if someone can help me. I'm tentatively playing with this addon through the gui (wouldn't have a clue through codes etc) how can I get the nodes without an image icon? I tried to remove them but it just resets to default folder icon. Any help greatly appreciated.

Create yourself a blank transparent image, and use that.
(2016-03-11, 22:33)ronie Wrote:
(2016-03-11, 12:09)phate89 Wrote: The problem with library nodes is that there is no guarantee that there is a movie node. If someone wants it can strip the movie node out and then the skin points to a not existing path

yup, i'm aware and this is the main/only reason we never added it to confluence.
but i think it's time to tackle that situation somehow.

we allow users to customize the nodes, but it's odd (and very confusing) they don't see the result
when using the main menu on the home screen.

Probably one of those cases where I'm speaking out of turn or in the wrong place, but as no conversation with skinners has been started in the Skinning forum that I'm aware of I have to presume this thread represents the current public discussion of this issue...

I have to agree that the current situation - that a node is edited but changes aren't reflected from links from the home screen with the default skin - is confusing. Equally, I accept that the obvious alternative - by which default menu items are linked to nodes which would break should the relevant node be deleted would be equally confusing. As such, I'd like to suggest two possible alternatives:

1) As custom nodes aren't a feature generally known to less experienced users, make it clear to users - via a big red banner on the relevant wiki pages and via an updated message on deleting within this editor - that deleting nodes may break main menu items. In this way, anyone doing so would be aware of the consequences.

2) (And I don't how difficult the necessary changes would be within core) Introduce a fallback within core, so if a deleted node is accessed, it falls back to Kodi's inbuilt nodes. This way, users changes to nodes would be honoured, but deleted nodes wouldn't actually break.

Edit:- Whilst, if it is possible, (2) is probably a better solution from a technical perspective, with my script.skinshortcuts hat on (and with the fact that the predecessor to this script - the video node editor - was created expressly to accentuate the features of the skin shortcuts script), my own preference would definitely be for (1). Not only does that put the trust in users hands, it also fits with the Skin Shortcuts way of working - where we encourage skinners to use library nodes for their default shortcuts, and make the library nodes available for users to select in a completely customisable menu. I appreciate we're not dealing with script.skinshortcut-only skins, though, and hope that my reading-between-the-lines-with-Estuary means that Skin Shortcuts may soon not be the preferable way for skinners to support custom menus.
Is it possible to navigate into an addon and then create a node there in the same way as Skin Shortcuts so you end up with this?

PHP Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="folder">
    <label>test</label>
    <path>plugin://plugin.video.itunes_trailers/</path>
</node> 

I know you can manually add an addon's content but doing it via the navigation would make it simpler for users imo.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library Node Editor3