WIP Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex, ...)
I, like you, do not want to high-jack the thread. If necessary, a Mod can move the posts.

It is a lot easier and cheaper than you might think. I have a router in my van now, I needed it when I first set it up, but you might not need one. I started with the original Raspberry Pi, however, with the RPi 3 you don't need a router, it can do minor routing too..

If the vehicle has an HDMI connection, you might only need to buy
  • Rpi 3 (Board, Case MicroSD card and Power Supply). Get a good power supply, it powers the flash drives as well so it needs to supply 2.5A
  • HDMI cable
  • micro flashdrives to store media.
  • Remote. Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick remote will work with the bluetooth in the PRi 3. Later you can add game controllers if you want games (Retroplayer is in testing phase as well.)
  • Portable power pack. When the van is started it usually reboots the pi, waiting at a gas station or something like that. They don't like that, so I run the Pi from the power pack which is then connected to the power supply for recharging.
I started with XBMC shared via UPnP and when Media Import came last year (testing), i switched to that. Now you have choices. Just Kodi Media Import, LibreELEC with Emby server using either Emby for Kodi.

I don't have pics but when you are ready I will provide detailed instructions.

In terms of syncing to the home server, it was not possible at the time I started so didn't consider it. Emby for Kodi didn't even exist yet. My experience is that children watch the same show over and over again. I usually add new media to the van when they ask or if they are going on a trip.

Bear in mind that the OS for the PI is on the mSD card. One can easily swap the cards and the PI is now a computer, or Kodi with RetroPlayer. I have a card with Rasbian Jesse and a Keyboard and they also play MineCraft in the Back. As I said I will provide more details when you are ready.

Cheers,
LongMan

Messages In This Thread
Unexpected Behaviour - by LongMan - 2015-04-20, 23:53
RE: Media importing and library integration of UPnP - by LongMan - 2016-11-05, 03:03
20.2 Generic Builds - by LongMan - 2023-07-20, 04:49
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex, ...)10