• 26(current)
WIP Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex, ...)
This probably died. I just switched to emby backend and the emby add-on that then imports the emby library into Kodi and does sort or the same thing.

Means I can share the same library across Kodi instances with play resume and watch status.
(2019-05-12, 17:56)rterblanche Wrote: This probably died. I just switched to emby backend and the emby add-on that then imports the emby library into Kodi and does sort or the same thing.

Means I can share the same library across Kodi instances with play resume and watch status.
Well sure, but the whole point here was that the method Emby for Kodi is using to manipulate the DB (direct SQL writes) is unsupported by Kodi - and keeping up with the undocumented database structure changes requires constant maintenance.

That said - with improvements in Kodi 18 and devices getting faster - the delta between the supported addon methodology used by 'EmbyCon' vs the database method is getting smaller.
It would be really sad if this dies. We see a lot of complaints about 'hacky code' in these forums and on GitHub. This was/is an opportunity to do it in a structured way that is maintainable and extendable. I am sure that if he wanted to 'hack' the feature on, it would have been in already.

The last test files that he released were very close. I suspect with other changes that have gone in it might be closer now. He had gotten as far as the client plugin being in python and having significantly less code and complexity compared to the current offerings.

We should bear in mind that this is not just about Emby. It allows Kodi itself to act as a central server. That part was actually working quite well.

In addition, It would allow for functionality that does not exists any where else.
  1. One could use Emby for video and another server for music or audio books. or Plex Subsonic etc
  2. Owing to the importer being in Kodi, it offers a lower bar to entry for new servers. Compare the compexity of the plugins below as an example
Embycon
Emby Media Importer
Emby for kodi
I did some searching but it seems to be the same answer. I have a few kodi boxes which i want to the watched status of the library synced. I guess upnp can not be scraped into it's own library (as it not having to browse files etc. Is the MYSQL method the only way still? For kodi 18.2 I mean Smile
(2019-05-23, 22:18)thekow Wrote: Is the MYSQL method the only way still? For kodi 18.2 I mean Smile

Well I would suggest Emby for what you want to do..
(2019-05-23, 23:35)xnappo Wrote:
(2019-05-23, 22:18)thekow Wrote: Is the MYSQL method the only way still? For kodi 18.2 I mean Smile

Well I would suggest Emby for what you want to do..

Will look into it.
Just bumping again.

Not trying to annoy anyone. Just hoping that someone with the necessary skills will pick this up. The ability to sync with external servers (multiple at that) would be a huge change for Kodi.

Cheers,
LongMan
It's dead, stick a fork in it...
@davilla
That would be sad. But I thought at one point a similar feature was being implemented in MrMC. A native client for Emby. Did I get that wrong?

Cheers,
LongMan
(2019-08-25, 16:02)LongMan Wrote: @davilla
That would be sad. But I thought at one point a similar feature was being implemented in MrMC. A native client for Emby. Did I get that wrong?

Cheers,
LongMan

@Montellese the original author and big contributor to Kodi back in the day ,looks like he's now left the project sadly. Unless someone with the same vision and coding abilities takes it on I doubt there will be any progress.

I'm not sure if the reason it never got in were the limits of UPnP or just lack of time to finish it.
The Kodi to Kodi  Media Import worked fairly well so I doubt it was the UPnP limitation. I think he wanted to execute the original vision of allowing import from other software; he had started looking at Emby. He also wanted to move the addon from C/C++ (not sure which language) to python so that the barrier to entry for new addon authors would be lower.

With Emby he had a proof of concept addon in python that did some basic operations. The original C/C++ addon, for Emby, was more functional but the python addon was getting there. Work on the python addon was slower because it appears that he was much more comfortable with C/C++ than python or the python addon interface in Kodi. In hindsight, a bit of help on the python side would have probable gotten the addon to the point where it could be used.
(2019-08-28, 11:29)docwra Wrote: @Montellese the original author and big contributor to Kodi back in the day ,looks like he's now left the project sadly. Unless someone with the same vision and coding abilities takes it on I doubt there will be any progress.

I'm not sure if the reason it never got in were the limits of UPnP or just lack of time to finish it.

Montellese is still a Team member so hasn't formally left the project, however he has been MIA since personal circumstances changed. So yes for now this is dead as a dodo.
IIRC python was not the problem here (despite a later redesign to include media import add-ons). I think the music library integration was still in the first steps when montelesse ran out of time.
As I said, I do not wish to annoy anyone. I really respect the work that he did on this and would hate to see it just die. At the same time I see great effort being put into solving problems that he had already solved during his work on this. And very importantly, each of these solutions being put forward are more myopic that his solution is. I use myopic in the dictionary sense of being narrowly focused,  not the urban sense of lacking vision. I have no interest in being disrespectful to anyone. I cannot do it myself so I have a tonne of respect for those who can, and volunteer their time so I can enjoy the features too. Gratitude is a must (yeah).

Furthermore, I suspect the project to be much farther along than most people realize. When asked, Montellese gave these reasons for not making a PR and that time. He then outlined some targets that he wanted to hit to bring it closer to a PR. After getting the settings work into Kodi, and putting in some more work, he listed some  achievements in regards to the python interface  and provided the test addon for Emby. I tried that Emby test plugin, it was very simple but it provided a significant portion of the functionality that Emby for Kodi did. Yes it did not do music that's true. But a lot of the users of Emby for Kodi and EmbyCon do not use it for music. And I suspect that if Media Import was mainlined with video only, there may be more people interested in extending it. Many people think it's half baked but it is not. I supect if they try it, they may find it quite palatable. It make just need to be taken out of the baking thin and some icing placed on it.

Consider for example, we are now able to add items from plugins into the library. At the time that was added to Kodi, Montellese was working on Media Import or maybe had just stopped. In putting forward the PR, the author sited Media Import and said it was way off into the future. So items from plugins were added. That has been revisited a few times to handle conflicts that arise as a result of its addition. What was added in that pull request was already possible with Media Import. I also suspect that subsequent fixes may have already been there too.

I followed Montellese's PR's as he worked on this, and it was clear to me that his work was greatly respected by fellow team members. I am not a programmer so I cannot tell by looking at the code. However, the comments of other team members spoke volumes about the quality of his code. From what I  can discern, his code is well thought out clean and extensible. The code he wrote can be built upon. If he is right, and I think he is, let's not bumble and stumble to come to a conclusion that he did years ago. Maybe the least we could do is ask authors, of pull requests that are dealing with similar functionality, to take a look and see if they could contribute  a PR or two to Media Import. Or say take a look at the Emby Test addon and see if could be modified to suit your needs. In doing so, we would at least make them aware of the vision and educate them as to how far it has progressed.

Some other thoughts
It has been mentioned in github discussions about moving Kodi in a direction than will enable it to behave as a headless server. A lot of the discussions, decisions by and conflicts with FernetMenta revolved around just that. Maintaining current features and adding new ones in such a way that the architecture supports running as a headless server. That is to be applauded emphatically.

Whereas Kodi may not be there as a server yet. It is the best HTPC software out there. Furthermore, even though it is not often referred to that way, it is the best client in the HTPC business. There could not be a better expression to describe the ultimate client other than "It plays everything, or almost everything, that you can throw at it".   And that is the expression often used to describe Kodi. Maybe the first time I heard that was when it was chosen as the base for Boxee and the 'Evangelist' was on Cranky Geeks. There were more alternatives back then to choose from. Media Import is just the elegant, well thought out, beautifully executed way to throw more things at it. While we work on making it the ultimate server, let's not forget to polish it as the the ultimate client that it is right now.

Thanks for taking the time to read rant.
Cheers
LongMan

LongMan climbs down from his soap box and hopes his message reaches the correct ears.
(2019-08-28, 16:03)enen92 Wrote: IIRC python was not the problem here (despite a later redesign to include media import add-ons). I think the music library integration was still in the first steps when montelesse ran out of time.
I hope all the team (and a lot of users) are well aware that I am interested in anything music library related and have been for the last 3 years. However I have never seen any discussion about upnp and music library, or had anything from Montelesse about it. 

It all works for Video?? And what exactly is it that works?

Anyway should someone what to pick upnp implementation up, then do come an talk to me about anything music library related. I will certainly be able to help.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media importing and library integration (UPnP, Emby, Plex, ...)10