UI modification - Sort mode button behavior
The sorting mode button is one of the slowest actions yet the one with the most options available. This causes users to be forced to resort a listing multiple times if it is accidently hit or just to change to another listing mode.

I propose to change this button to behave as the left/right scrolling button that is used for db view mode in 'my videos'. This would allow users to select exactly which sorting method they want while only forcing them to reload the listing once. It also helps accidental keypresses (common with that button because its the default button focused) because the sorting doesnt change unless left/right is pressed.

All users feel free to comment and contribute.
Any thoughts?
You must have a LOT of items present if it's slow.

And sure, that behaviour could be done if absolutely necessary.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I dont have alot of items in the list, the delay seems reletively consistant across any listing. Although i do find the delay to be longer when running the UI in 720p vs shorter in 480i/480p. Under 480i the delay is small enough its a very minor issue

I believe the most un-intuitive part of the normal 3+ in one buttons is that the UI forces the user to sequentially load each listing of which there can be 5 or 6 (for instance under an album in music db). This also helps with the fact that XBMC does NOT remember sorting methods for each individual directory. The speed a user can change the sorting method is much faster using this new application of the button.

This button also has the side effect of another problem I encounter.

I have had many first time users using XBMC lately and always find them getting sorting all screwed. Most often its just them slipping and hitting the left button without realizing it and hitting 'A' thinking it will return to them listing (i assume). I always return to find the view, sorting and library/file modes changed and the user becomes confused and doesnt know how to 'fix' it. This style of button fixes this issue because if you press 'A' on it you dont actually change anything without scrolling to the left/right and selecting 'A'.

As a final request, I realised that a skinner could make some interesting listing effects by being able to use a conditional statement against the currently 'highlighted' selection. I believe this style of button currently only uses 1 ID so I dont imagine this would be especially simple to impliment but figured I would put it out there anyways.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UI modification - Sort mode button behavior0