Bug Strong performance hit when listening to music
So yeah, I'm having this issue for a few weeks now and I finally found the cause of it (I think).

First off my set-up, I have 2 monitors, my regular working monitor and a smaller one (1440x900). The smaller one is usually running Kodi with videos, streams, music, whatever. Videos and streams play perfectly fine, however when listening to music I get a huge performance hit after a while (max 1 hour mostly). Kodi completely slows down, it seem's like it's getting caught in a loop or whatever, it's choppy, and it continues to slow down until I shut Kodi down and restart (then it's fine until it starts again). It even seems to slow down my PC by quite a bit.
This is when listening to PartyMode as well as "normal" listening to Albums or whatever, so it doesn't seem to be related to that.
Also I'm running Helix on Windows 8 (pro) and this happens on both the stable and beta version of the skin.

So yesterday it came to my mind that this issue pretty much started when I switched to Titan. So I used Metropolis again for a few hours and had no issues at all. I tried getting the options as close to another as possible (Visualization - DirectX Spectrum - turned on, artist slideshow background and background animated), to have somewhat of a testing environment. After ~8h with no issue I decided to test my theory and switched back to Titan, and again after about an hour I get this performance hit.

I've tried switching back to Metropolis while I had the slowdown, but it didn't appear to have done much (not sure about that since when I could finally open the shut-down menu it seemed to be faster again but I was too fast clicking on quit...), so it seems Kodi gets slowed down completely.

The first thought would be that my PC just couldn't handle it, but since it's running fine until a certain time and the fact that I have a reasonably powerful PC, I wouldn't bet on that (especially considering it's running fine on Metropolis and Confluence).

I tried narrowing down the problem (music I listened to, file format, tags), but it doesn't appear to have a specific reason. Also I don't always see when it's happening (since I don't always watch my second screen). In addition to say is that I'm mostly playing games on my main screen, though I'm not sure this is related (again: it worked with Metropolis/Confluence). Soo yeah... don't know what to say any-more, maybe anyone has an idea or the same issue...
Thanks for noticing this! I will definitely look into this today. Could you try the following test for me? Go into skin settings, advanced and disable the smart shortcuts. Once done, reboot and test again. Thanks
Soo.. I've disabled the smart shortcuts (only for playlists was enabled) and it was working for a few hours. For testing purposes I turned it back on to see if it really was the cause, but for some reason I'm not getting any slowdowns now. Tested both the stable and beta version for this... Not that it bothers me but it's weird either way...

Gonna monitor this for a while (though I'm not at home the next week or so, so it's gonna take a while).

/edit
Nevermind, I just needed to restart to enable the smart shortcuts again. It started again so I would say it's safe to assume it's the smart shortcuts.

/edit2
For some reason it's now slowed down even though I turned smart shortcuts off again (restarted multiple times)

/edit3
it appears to be not an issue on the beta version when I disable the smart shortcuts. I had tested the stable version before because I assumed it would be same for both since the issue was on both versions initially... Gonna need some testing I guess, but as I said I'm gonna be gone for a few days in a few hours so... no idea if I can nail it down in that time.

/edit4
Back on stable with disabled smart shortcuts and it went slow again, so looks like there's an issue there. Seems there are 2 issues with the same result though, as Beta was slowing down with smart shortcuts as well, but stable is slowing even without it enabled so.. yeah.
Hmmm, I'm trying to reproduce your system but still no luck. I don't see any performance hit.
I left full screen music running last night on repeat and when I woke up this morning the CPU was still not spiking, it was at a calm 3% for Kodi process.

Can you tell me a bit about your settings so I can set the exact same setup to test with ?
Do you have lyrics turned on or off ?
Well yeah, that's exactly my issue as well, the CPU isn't even spiking, and neither is the GPU as far as I can tell (via OpenHardwareMonitor and I can also play games just fine).

Here's a backup of the skin settings I did just now (for the beta)
http://www.xup.in/dl,19686860/TITANSKIN_...-0819.zip/

and here for the stable
http://www.xup.in/dl,18124859/TITANSKIN_...-0821.zip/

They are pretty much identical I think (I imported the stable settings into beta and that worked just fine), but whatever it may be, maybe it's in there Smile

Lyrics don't seem to have made a difference. I disabled them on the stable, enabled on the beta, but the stable slows down either way, so I don't think this is connected :/

As for Kodi settings, I'm not sure what you need, but I uploaded some screenshots of the system info and audio settings:
http://imgur.com/a/xyXyt

Also, my media (including artwork) is on a network share, could this be related? I doubt it is, since it doesn't really make sense that it should behave differently on stable and beta then, but you never know...

Well so... yeah, I'm gonna need to head off and I'm not going to be able to test for the next 2 weeks or so (I can still write in the forums I hope Big Grin)
On my Kodi, I have increase in memory with Titan skin ~200k more then the default skin Confluence.
(2015-05-05, 09:48)burekas Wrote: On my Kodi, I have increase in memory with Titan skin !200k more then the default skin Confluence.

This is to be expected though, considering the configuration, features, art being shown etc etc.

It's not a memory issue in my case though Wink
(2015-05-05, 14:13)mihawk90 Wrote:
(2015-05-05, 09:48)burekas Wrote: On my Kodi, I have increase in memory with Titan skin !200k more then the default skin Confluence.

This is to be expected though, considering the configuration, features, art being shown etc etc.

It's not a memory issue in my case though Wink

Indeed, Titan has a lot more features and artwork then the default confluence skin, which is designed to be lighweight and simple. That said, I always code my skin with respect to performance... So yes, there will be some extra horse power needed but it's as less as possible considering the features in the skin.
(2015-05-04, 08:33)mihawk90 Wrote: Well yeah, that's exactly my issue as well, the CPU isn't even spiking, and neither is the GPU as far as I can tell (via OpenHardwareMonitor and I can also play games just fine).

Here's a backup of the skin settings I did just now (for the beta)
http://www.xup.in/dl,19686860/TITANSKIN_...-0819.zip/

and here for the stable
http://www.xup.in/dl,18124859/TITANSKIN_...-0821.zip/

They are pretty much identical I think (I imported the stable settings into beta and that worked just fine), but whatever it may be, maybe it's in there Smile

Lyrics don't seem to have made a difference. I disabled them on the stable, enabled on the beta, but the stable slows down either way, so I don't think this is connected :/

As for Kodi settings, I'm not sure what you need, but I uploaded some screenshots of the system info and audio settings:
http://imgur.com/a/xyXyt

Also, my media (including artwork) is on a network share, could this be related? I doubt it is, since it doesn't really make sense that it should behave differently on stable and beta then, but you never know...

Well so... yeah, I'm gonna need to head off and I'm not going to be able to test for the next 2 weeks or so (I can still write in the forums I hope Big Grin)

I've imported your settings to my testsetup, I will monitor for a few days if I can reproduce.

Just a question. When does the lag occur ? While browsing through Kodi or when it's just at the homescreen (doing nothing) ?
I just had the same issue with lagging but it only happened when I opened "extended info" which is a pretty heavy script.
When that happened my CPU spiked to 50% and Kodi was totally lagging and unresponsive. Even switching to confluence didn't get me out of the lag.

Keep in mind that the default settings you choose are pretty heavy:
- RSS feed (you don't expect it, but it is really heavy)
- artist slideshow
- animated background
- music visualisations

Like I said I will do some more testings and maybe I can track down the issue. I'm suspecting it has nothing to do with the skin but just one of the scripts that load in the background.

Whenever you have the issue again, could you please check your CPU and see if it's heavy loaded at the moment the lag occurs ?
Also, when it happens try to switch to another skin and see if the problem still exists. If so, the problem lies in one of the scripts that are loaded or just something in Kodi combined with your settings.

Offcourse it should work if your system can handle it all but I thought to mention it in case you didn't know.
(2015-05-05, 21:30)marcelveldt Wrote: Just a question. When does the lag occur ? While browsing through Kodi or when it's just at the homescreen (doing nothing) ?
I just had the same issue with lagging but it only happened when I opened "extended info" which is a pretty heavy script.
When that happened my CPU spiked to 50% and Kodi was totally lagging and unresponsive. Even switching to confluence didn't get me out of the lag.
So far it only happened when Kodi was idling in the background (though visible since it's been on the second monitor), but typically I'm not very active in Kodi either way when music is running cause I just set it on Party Mode to have some background music.

Quote:Keep in mind that the default settings you choose are pretty heavy:
- RSS feed (you don't expect it, but it is really heavy)
- artist slideshow
- animated background
- music visualisations
true, I wouldn't expect RSS to be too heavy, but I have it turned off since I have RSS on my Mail client.

Quote:Like I said I will do some more testings and maybe I can track down the issue. I'm suspecting it has nothing to do with the skin but just one of the scripts that load in the background.

Whenever you have the issue again, could you please check your CPU and see if it's heavy loaded at the moment the lag occurs ?
Also, when it happens try to switch to another skin and see if the problem still exists. If so, the problem lies in one of the scripts that are loaded or just something in Kodi combined with your settings.
Well yeah I wasn't really sure if it was the skin and suspected something in the background, but then why doesn't it happen on other skins.

Switching skins didn't help the issue last time I had it, so this is where it gets inconsistent. That's also where I was thinking it was something different, but then again as I said it's only on Titan :/

I'll look for the CPU spike when I get back home.
(2015-05-05, 21:58)mihawk90 Wrote: Switching skins didn't help the issue last time I had it, so this is where it gets inconsistent. That's also where I was thinking it was something different, but then again as I said it's only on Titan :/

I'll look for the CPU spike when I get back home.

Please switch the skin WHILE the problem occurs.. So while Kodi is all lagging switch to another skin and look if the problem is resolved then. If not, the problem lies in one of the addons that the skin is using, or a comination of stuff.
Also please look at your cpu when the lagging happens.
Soo, finally back at home again Smile

I think I tried that before, but nevertheless I tried it again and it didn't work (only browser, mail program, steam running, no heavy-cpu users).
Switching to another skin (I used Confluence because it's lightweight) didn't help the issue, the lagging is still happening. My overall CPU usage is ~50-60%, Kodi is at about 30% (this is when already in Confluence).

I'm only testing on stable now to get rid of the version confusion for now. If something comes up in beta I can switch at any time.

/edit [back in Titan]
now it's even hitting while Kodi is idling (music was paused because I was afk). The hell is happening here :S ~30% Kodi, ~60% total
Strange! Are you on the beta skin? Because maybe I fixed it in beta while doing some optimizations.
No this was with the stable build.

However I just tested it again on beta version and still the same issue Sad
Damn... Too bad. I will do more testing this week. Basically I just have to start music and let it play to reproduce? Please tell me the exact steps you take to reproduce this issue because I'm a bit clueless atm

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strong performance hit when listening to music0