Problem - PageUp, Page Down KEY incorrect
Hi

When I press PAGE UP key, it goes to next file.

When I press PAGE DOWN key, it goes to previous file.

Should it not be the reversed?

ie.
PAGE UP = previous file/movie
PAGE DOWN = next file/movie
Up = Next and Down = Previous seems logical to me
(2015-05-03, 10:03)jjd-uk Wrote: Up = Next and Down = Previous seems logical to me

Other media players I have used

e.g. Pot player
http://www.scribd.com/doc/152020425/Potp...cut#scribd

PAGE Up = Previous file
PAGE Down = Next file

==================

GOM Player
http://player.gomlab.com/eng/guide/keybo...rtcuts.gom

Play Previous File (Chapter) : Page Up
Play Next File (Chapter) : Page Down

==============

Problem is I got my remote control setup for other media players as well as kodi, so it uses
Up = Previous
Down = Next

This works for most other media players except for Kodi, because it is reversed.
As a result, I can't use my media remote control properly when I am using Kodi.

Also if you are scrolling through the movie list, or webpage.
-Up moves up the list ie. previous page / top of the page
ie. What you already read / seen

-Down moves down a page or bottom of the page
ie. What you have not read / seen

So I believe Kodi is handling
PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN wrong, it should be reversed
If you don't like the default mapping then create your own keyboard.xml
(2015-05-03, 14:52)jjd-uk Wrote: If you don't like the default mapping then create your own keyboard.xml

But should the keys not be standard or similiar to how they should function in other media players?

I think this should be fixed.

Otherwise people who have media remote controls would all need to create a custom keyboard.xml.

If you look at my examples links of other media players..

You can see that Kodi is assigned the keys in reverse order.

Also if you think about it logically.
When you are reading webpage or list..

PageUp key moves up a page/list, ie. You are already read / seen it.
PageDown key moves down a page/list, ie. You are HAVE NOT read / seen it.

So the logic also applies to movies.

Let me know if you can fix this.
You're are the 1st I've ever seen wanting this which suggests you're in a minority of one, if we were to change this then it would immediately break how a lot of users want their remotes to work and thus require them to make changes, why should we break everyone else's setup for one person?
(2015-05-03, 15:50)jjd-uk Wrote: You're are the 1st I've ever seen wanting this which suggests you're in a minority of one, if we were to change this then it would immediately break how a lot of users want their remotes to work and thus require them to make changes, why should we break everyone else's setup for one person?

But why would other media players
which I have listed the keyboard shortcuts
used the key as I mention..

You telling me they are all wrong, and only Kodi is right?

Zoom media player
http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/keylist.shtml

KMplayer
https://www.facebook.com/notes/kmplayer/...8459038799

Are you sure it would break any remotes at all?
According to this, page up and page down is not even assigned to anything..
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
So why would it break anything?

Please look into this issue.
I strongly believe Kodi has been assigned the keys wrong and in reversed function,
based on my research/usage of other media players.

Hopefully more people can come to this thread to share their thoughts on this...

Please download those media players I suggested and test it yourself.
-Potplayer
-Gom
-Zoom player
-KMplayer

These are some of the most popular media players that are available and used by many people.
You telling me they are all wrong and only Kodi is right?

KMplayer ranked 1, has 813,146,380 downloads uses the keys as I mentioned.
http://en.softonic.com/s/top-10-media-player-free
Up and Page Up should move in the same direction.
(2015-05-03, 16:03)Hitcher Wrote: Up and Page Up should move in the same direction.

Please download KMPlayer or some of those other players I suggested
and test it yourself.

KMplayer is the most downloaded player, uses the keys as I mention.

You should not group UP and PAGE UP together using your logic,
because UP and DOWN are not standard playback controls.
Normally most players would use LEFT and RIGHT.

PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN should follow the same standard function like those other media players for maximum compatibility.
well thats why they allow you to create your own layout

you say that it should be like that others may think differently, either way its easily changed you just need to swap the values.
(2015-05-03, 16:45)Shogunreaper Wrote: well thats why they allow you to create your own layout

you say that it should be like that others may think differently, either way its easily changed you just need to swap the values.

First off, tell me how to swap the values..
Would it break the function of those keys when scrolling through the movie list..

Secondly...
Where did Kodi/XBMC developers get the idea to make the keys function this way?
When other media players made it function the reversed.

Thirdly..
If what I said was just based on my opinion then I would not go on and simply just edited the xml file.
But if you look at the media players I mention.
They all used the keys as I mention.
So it not just something I made up.
There must be a reason why they all chose it like that...

Those media players are some of the most popular and most downloaded media players.
Especially KMplayer.
You can see this yourself at http://en.softonic.com/s/top-10-media-pl.../downloads.

Why would they make the keys function the way it does?
And Kodi developers made it function in reversed?
I would like to know how this came to be?
(2015-05-03, 16:56)madmax2 Wrote: First off, tell me how to swap the values..
Would it break the function of those keys when scrolling through the movie list..

search for "pageup" and "PageDown" in the keyboard keymap file and then swap them.

you'll see multiple ones in there for different parts of the player (for menu, fullscreen video, music, global, ect)

don't ask me which one to change, i don't use the keyboard so idk. Just change them until you figure out the correct one.

(2015-05-03, 16:56)madmax2 Wrote: Where did Kodi/XBMC developers get the idea to make the keys function this way?

because some people like things the way they like them and since they give you the option to change it how ever you want there really isn't any reason to complain about it.
(2015-05-03, 20:04)Shogunreaper Wrote:
(2015-05-03, 16:56)madmax2 Wrote: First off, tell me how to swap the values..

search for "pageup" and "PageDown" in the keyboard keymap file and then swap them.

you'll see multiple ones in there for different parts of the player (for menu, fullscreen video, music, global, ect)

don't ask me which one to change, i don't use the keyboard so idk. Just change them until you figure out the correct one.

(2015-05-03, 16:56)madmax2 Wrote: Where did Kodi/XBMC developers get the idea to make the keys function this way?

because some people like things the way they like them and since they give you the option to change it how ever you want there really isn't any reason to complain about it.

Who are these some people?
You are making things up without adequate knowledge...
Only the kodi developers can answer this.

You are not understanding the question.
I know you can edit the layout.
It is asking why was the KEYs made to do this in reverse function to most of the other media players.

This topic doesn't relate to you if:
-Do you use other media players besides kodi?
-You don't even use the keyboard.

If you are using a remote control.
I suggest you download the other media players.
Press NEXT, PREVIOUS button on your remote while using those programs.
You will see that it is now working in reverse.
This is assuming that you have setup the controller to work with Kodi only and assigned PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN to the buttons to function like how Kodi setup.

Also look here
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
Those keys are not even assigned to anything.

So in short, I know you can edit the layout.
The problem I have is I believe the keys have been default assigned incorrectly and not according to the standard.

This is proven if you download those other media players I have listed.
And those media players are not some obscure unknown players.
They are the most popular downloaded and used players on the net.

If anyone that used those players and kodi at the same time.
When they use their remote control.
They will see that the keys get reversed when they used those media players and then change to kodi.

Look at these media. You are saying these 4 media players, the most downloaded and popular, all got it wrong and only kodi is right?
-Potplayer
-Gom
-Zoom player
-KMplayer

We're taking one button and using it for multiple functions, and the secondary functions are often not directly related to the first function. In this case, page up/down isn't always about the physical position on a list.

A prime example of this is the original Xbox remote. The buttons on the original Xbox remote have heavily influenced many default functions. The next item / previous item buttons also doubled as page up and page down. Also these buttons had + and - signs on them. Up and plus both are seen as "increasing" or "advancing", which logically extends to "next". They were also oriented horizontally, rather than vertically. The only real context that they had wasn't if you are going up or down on a list, but if the symbol/name was "positive" or "negative", advance or go back.

We can't accurately guess how the buttons will physically be displayed, or if people prefer ascending or descending order on video lists. However, most people do seem to understand that Up can also mean "increase", etc.

More than any of that, it's how everyone else does it. Channel Up on a TV increases the number, even if you are always going "down" on the list.
(2015-05-04, 01:23)madmax2 Wrote: Look at these media. You are saying these 4 media players, the most downloaded and popular, all got it wrong and only kodi is right?
-Potplayer
-Gom
-Zoom player
-KMplayer

For a living room interface, they probably are wrong. Kodi isn't trying to be your computer media player, it's trying to be your living room media player. Compare behavior to other remote controls and other living room set top boxes. What is common on a two foot/desktop interface often has nothing to do with Kodi design decisions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem - PageUp, Page Down KEY incorrect0