TV shows never correctly identified
Good morning,

My new kodi install shows all television recordings as episodes of some unknown (incorrect) show.

I've built a box with Kodi Helix on Windows 7. My old MythTV with analog tuners is no longer of any use now that my cable company is going digital too. I have HDMI playback and IR remote working well.

Here's what I've tried:

Read the faq on structure for the files and directories. Put them on the disk as:
Code:
/Television
   /ShowName
      /Season 1
         ShowName.S01E01.Show Title.avi
   /ShowName2
      /Season 1
         ShowName2.S01E01.Show Title.avi

Downloaded and used 'The renamer" to get them correctly named as per TVdb.

Moved all files and directories from the "Television" directory to the "Backup" directory.
I removed the "Television" source and asked it to remove all entries from the library database.

I copied one show directory, with minimal number of episodes and only one season, back to "Television".
Added the Television directory as a source, set it to use TVdb, and updated the library.
It found all episodes in the Television directory but none are correctly identified.

When I start Kodi it scans for new content.
The notification says it's looking in "Backup".
I never told Kodi to look there and don't want it to.
I looked for a source that might lead it to search in the wrong places.
I found the media sources file and ensured there were no references to the root of the drive or to "Backup".
It seems to keep looking in places it shouldn't.

Tried with the 'flatten shows' option on and off. Seemed to make no difference.
  • Is there a list of all the places where kodi will get media directories from?
  • Is it in a sqlite database I can edit? The on screen configuration is confusing and not well organized.
  • Does the older version work better? Should I downgrade?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
hmmmm, interesting that it was looking in a source that you don't have. It's not necessarily a fix, but you can make an nfo file within the "showname" folder named tvshow.nfo and just add the TVDB ID inside the nfo. example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<id>73141</id>

That ID is for American Dad! Just throw that in there and it will find the correct show EVERY time. Like I said, that's not really a fix seeing as how you are using a naming scheme that should work (I believe).
(2015-05-04, 19:24)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: make an nfo file within the "showname" folder named tvshow.nfo and just add the TVDB ID inside the nfo.

Thanks, I'll try that and see if it helps.
I also installed an add on that is supposed to watch for file system changes on the sources.
I wonder if it might be the culprit. I'll disable that when I get home
Added a tvshow.nfo file. It seems to ignore it. All shows ended up being listed as "Formula One race review".
I removed all sources for tv and added one specific directory with one show.
Now it lists them correctly under 'videos'. When I go to 'tv shows' from the main menu it allows me to navigate to the show.
It lists 8 blank lines instead of 8 episodes, then shows the elipses ".." to return to the parent.
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thx Nickr. I found two issues.
One is that the show isn't in tvdb so all the show file names are replaced with empty strings.
That one I reported as a bug. I think I have my issue resolved.
(2015-05-05, 05:33)grumpycat Wrote: Thx Nickr. I found two issues.
One is that the show isn't in tvdb so all the show file names are replaced with empty strings.
That one I reported as a bug. I think I have my issue resolved.

Why would you report it as a bug if it isn't even in the tvdb. The tvdb is user driven, get an account and add it, that way other users will benefit.

It's not a bug if the information is not available to scrape.
Why a bug? The system does have the file name for the files. Replacing the file name with an empty string removes any chance of a user being able to identify what the video contains. Since there's no text it's no longer selectable either. Since it's not selectable they can't play the video either. For my show I got a list box with 8 blank spaces.

I think it's much preferrable to give the user what information you have. If you don't have something better than at least leave what you do have visible to them.
I see - I presumed you were just reporting a bug because the information wasn't available, not that it, or an alternative wasn't displayed in its place. Not certain its a bug - rather by design. No worries either way.

Just out of curiosity, where did you report the bug?
(2015-05-05, 14:23)steelman1991 Wrote: Just out of curiosity, where did you report the bug?

http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15964
Thanks - will keep an eye on that. Damned if I could find it on tracker lol - it's only the first one on the tracker!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV shows never correctly identified0