KODI outside the US
This might be a silly question, but will Kodi work in Europe as it does in the US? I know that Netflix is, unfortunately, not available outside the US, but will the other sources work? I plan to spend several months in Europe, and would like to have access to all the treasures that KODI provides access to.
Erm... yes. Kodi will play your local files absolutely fine (I'm in Europe, and have been using it for years).

Now, some depends on what you mean by 'works'. Kodi will play your local files no matter where you are. If you're using streaming addons, at best you may need a VPN - at worst, you shouldn't be discussing them here.

And Netflix works fine here, thanks, as does Amazon Prime Smile
I tried Netflix in Europe last summer (Czech Republic and Italy) and it did NOT work ("NF not available in your area"). Are you using a US VPN?
(2015-05-07, 23:51)venik212 Wrote: This might be a silly question, but will Kodi work in Europe as it does in the US?
Kodi works just fine in Europe. Loads of us run it here - and quite a few of the Kodi developers are based here... There are popular add-ons to provide access to the main European catch-up TV services, like the BBC's iPlayer, SVT Play, NRK Nett TV, ARD and ZDF's services etc.

Quote:I know that Netflix is, unfortunately, not available outside the US, but will the other sources work? I plan to spend several months in Europe, and would like to have access to all the treasures that KODI provides access to.

Netflix isn't really that well integrated into many Kodi set-ups, but is certainly available in Europe. I'm in the UK and have a Netflix subscription (and my Smart TV has Netflix built in - we even get 4K content)

The US and UK Netflix content is not the same (US has stuff the UK doesn't and vice versa). However your US subscription will work in other countries that have Netflix, but when you are in those countries you get access to their content, not that of your 'home' subscription. If you are in a country that doesn't have Netflix (like Spain for instance), or want to watch a programme or film not available in the country you are in, then you may need to resort to a VPN.
(2015-05-11, 01:33)venik212 Wrote: I tried Netflix in Europe last summer (Czech Republic and Italy) and it did NOT work ("NF not available in your area"). Are you using a US VPN?

There are a lot more countries in Europe than those two...

According to their wikipedia page Netflix are in : United Kingdom, Denmark, Ireland, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

So in regional grouping terms : UK & Ireland, The Nordics, Benelux, France, Switzerland/Austria/Germany.
But I shall only be in the Czech Republic and in Italy..;-(
(2015-05-11, 18:50)venik212 Wrote: But I shall only be in the Czech Republic and in Italy..;-(

As you have discovered - Europe is not (yet) a single country... (Though recent moves to end geo-blocking are interesting... http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/03/...right-law/ )
If you want geolocked or national-specific streaming, use a VPN to pretend to be somewhere else, then. I don't think the Carabinieri have any specific objections.

You mention 'other sources', and it depends on what those are. By and large, the more legitimate they are, the less likely they are to work, because the content owners are protecting their rights. If they're less legitimate, well, someone doesn't give a hoot about rights anyway!

Local content will work fine, as I said. So you can fill your laptop with BR rips and watch those (although there are technically rules about carrying digital content across borders - I'm sure someone told me that it's illegal to bring rips into the US, for example, although (a) I've never heard of anyone being challenged, and (b) I may have made it up anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI outside the US0