slight stutter 14.2 fire tv
For hours and hours I've played with every setting in Kodi trying to get rid of a slight stutter in movies or tv shows that I play through Kodi. It by no means makes it unwatchable, but its enough there to annoy me. I turned off motion plus on my TV settings to make sure that wasn't it. I've tried removing hardware acceleration, syncing refresh rate with video, etc etc. If I go to the fire home screen and play a tv show on prime, the video is absolutely perfect. No slight stutter. This is definitely a problem with the android build as the same version on my Windows PC plays the same videos flawlessly. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Not saying this will fix it, but you need to isolate the issue. Start by reinstalling Kodi fresh, default, with no customized advanced settings. One way is to use the AFTV's program manager in settings to clear cache and then data. But I would go one further and after that use ADBFire to uninstall Kodi. Don't check the box to retain settings.

Then, reinstall Kodi. I will vouch for the latest Isengard Beta, but I would suggest you first try 14.2 again as 15 has its own issues with skip steps that might add another vector to confuse matters. Upload your custom keyboard.xml, add your sources and try again. If possible, use a wired connection, or better a high-end USB stick such as a USB3.0 Sandisk Extreme. You want to eliminate network issues first.

Still seeing "stuttering?" Or is it "juddering?" Is it for all sources?

Once you've done that, you can start asking questions here and someone might be able to help.
I've just bought a Fire TV and am having this issue as well.

I get stutters and juddering. I think it's something to do with the video settings and refresh rates.

Is there any reference to the correct video settings for this device?
That is a problem with Android devices, since the video driver implementation is not so good. I suggest you to find SPMC and try to install it, since it has better video performance on Android Devices. It is the same thing like Kodi but better prepared for Android devices thanks to Koying. Be aware that you need to go to Settings/Video/Acceleration and disable some codes if it stop working or reboot device.

The only solution is to find better ROM for your device, newest one with better VPU driver. Sometimes I think that would be nice if the Kodi install its VPU drivers and implement them instead of lousy Android stock drivers.
(2015-05-11, 00:57)dzigi.bau Wrote: That is a problem with Android devices, since the video driver implementation is not so good. I suggest you to find SPMC and try to install it, since it has better video performance on Android Devices. It is the same thing like Kodi but better prepared for Android devices thanks to Koying. Be aware that you need to go to Settings/Video/Acceleration and disable some codes if it stop working or reboot device.

The only solution is to find better ROM for your device, newest one with better VPU driver. Sometimes I think that would be nice if the Kodi install its VPU drivers and implement them instead of lousy Android stock drivers.

Sorry, but this is just not relevant to the AFTV. Unless you're rooted you can't fiddle around with ROMs. And unless your AFTV is already rooted, that option's been taken out of play.

First experiment with your TV's motion settings. These often don't help. Try the latest Kodi beta (15b) in default settings. I doubt SPMC will bring anything positive to the mix, but it does have some unpleasant side effects on the AFTV due to the backporting of a buggy skip step implementation. I'd give it a swerve.
TIP - lower the Skip Delay to 500 or 250ms in Settings > Video > Playback.

SPMC then skips perfectly for me then. Smile

I've tried Kodi, SPMC, nightlies, etc etc. Still a slight stutter/judder. Plays perfect on Win 7 PC. It's solely an android issue.dzigi your suggestion sounds good but my fire tv isn't rooted. There has got to be more people having this problem. I think they just don't notice it but some of us are able to see the small stuttering that takes place on the fire tv with kodi. It just sucks that I went with a Fire TV when everything I read said it was perfect for Kodi, but I'm finding out that is not true. I guess I will just have to save the money to build a new HTPC using Windows.
As I said before you need to give more details. For starters, what do you mean by "stuttering?"
(2015-05-15, 08:58)FireInMyHole Wrote: As I said before you need to give more details. For starters, what do you mean by "stuttering?"

As Judos said in the other thread, there is a stutter when the camera seems to be moving (panning) over an area. Though I don't get the dropped frames like he describes, but there's definitely a judder/stutter. I messed with the 3d stereoscopic settings (which should have absolutely nothing to do with it) and it SEEMS to help it out, though I'm running on very little sleep so I may need to look again tomorrow to see if it actually helped.
Unfortunately you are one of those people like me that are sensitive to the camera panning judder...

This is when 23.976fps video displayed at 60Hz using the 3:2 pulldown technique is producing judder that is common on many Androids OS based devices. Some are better at eliminating it by setting the GUI at 24Hz so your TV switches to 24p playback mode. Dynamic refresh rate switching between 24, 50 and 60Hz display outputs really makes things easy if Kodi does it for you at the start of movie playback.

Quote:Judder is a television screen artifact that occurs when content recorded on film is shown on a television with a 60Hz refresh rate.

The standard frame rate for film is 24 frames per second (fps). When you are watching a film on a 60Hz television, software in the TV or DVD player detects the incoming signal and fills in the missing 36 frames by repeating frames that your eye has already seen. The problem is that 24 doesn't divide evenly into 60.

If each frame is repeated twice, there will still be 12 missing frames. That's where 3:2 pulldown comes in. To ensure that there will consistently be 60 frames per second, the first frame is displayed on the TV screen 3 times and the second frame is displayed 2 times. The following frame is repeated 3 times, the next one 2 times, etc. throughout the film.

Because alternating frames are not repeated in a consistent manner, the picture on the television screen is actually a little jittery. In TV-vendor lingo, this is called judder. Most of us don't notice judder because a second goes by very quickly and we are used to viewing films on television with a 3:2 pulldown..

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it with a Amazon FireTV. Maybe play around with your TV Motion Smoothing or Motion Interpolation settings.

Suggestion is to get a RPI2 or Chromebox for perfectly synced 23.976fps (24p) movie viewing.

Thanks for the reply wtxtasy. If the fault is on Amazon's end, how come streaming videos on prime plays perfectly, but in Kodi I get the judder? I will have to look into a RP2 though I see now that Hyperspin was released for android so I wish there was a fix.
Not sure if it helps or not, but with some movies I had to disable the 2nd of the media playback options. Can't recall which it was since I'm at work, but it fixed it for me. Other than that, it could be your network and how the AFTV works with it. I had issues with bitrates of 6000 at 1080p on Fire TV, but not on Windows. Changed bitrates lower and it all works with no stuttering
(2015-05-15, 18:57)lovewiibrew Wrote: Thanks for the reply wtxtasy. If the fault is on Amazon's end, how come streaming videos on prime plays perfectly, but in Kodi I get the judder? I will have to look into a RP2 though I see now that Hyperspin was released for android so I wish there was a fix.

You don't see judder in Prime? I see it in Prime videos all the time. Maybe the judder you are seeing in Kodi is not the same level of judder we're talking about here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
slight stutter 14.2 fire tv0