• 2(current)
Looking for ideas, questions, whatever for cordcutting show
(2015-05-16, 22:58)nickr Wrote: And meanwhile those of us who actually keep on topic and present ideas get be feedback at all.

Your feedback comes on Thursday. Smile
Wink
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-16, 18:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote: If I were you I wouldn't dismiss suggestions that can improve production value. Better the production value, more 'viewable' it is, the great the audience you can reach and the better you can inform people.

We're at a point were we're just getting comfortable doing something once a week, getting ideas for what we want this to be, etc. It's hard to get into something when it feels like a hassle from the start. Right now we're having fun, and that fun inspires us to make the production more organized and worth the hassle of planning.

We'll want this advice soon, but first we're still feeling things out.
@natethomas
You should review the TTS (text to speech) addon
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
This is good stuff, looking forward to future episodes. Watching you guys go thru the program shows how easy errrr confusing it can get, even for an expert user lol Smile

I'd like to see you invite some Add-on authors so they can show off their stuff.
Here's a few I'd like to see

Pseudo TV Live
HdHomerun PVR
AudioDSP
IPTVsimple
DSPlayer

Also some Tips and Tricks should be fun

Windows - HOW TO - Configure Kodi DSPlayer with LAV Filters, XySubFilter & madVR
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222576
[HOW-TO] Easily switch audio outputs, settings, etc.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=199579
how to record any video from kodi by using external players
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=216111
Back to topic of suggesting discussion topics about using Kodi for mainly cord-cutting purposes, which is to save cost compared to expensive cable/satellite television channel packages.

While Live TV via USB-tuners to receive free television channels broadcasted over-the-air might be one of the best first-step option for many cord-cutters to get a similar experience compared to expensive cable/satellite television channel packages, but can I instead suggest an episode that would only be about solutions for (legally) accessing some of the most popular video on-demand internet streaming using (legal) over-the-top subscription services from inside Kodi?

Focusing on the most popular over-the-top subscription services that offer (legal) online video on-demand streaming that a majority of people are actually willing to pay a small monthly subscription fee for when they cut the cord, as I believe those services are normally the first (legal) methods that common cord-cutters think of turning to today. And by an episode about popular (legal) online on-demand streaming services I am primary suggesting discussing recommendations for best way to use Kodi to browse and view the libraries of Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, HBO Now, and Movies & TV on Google Play, and perhaps also news and sport services such as CNN, CBS, ESPN, and Fox Sports as those are also commonly missed by many cord-cutters.

Again, I believe most "cord-cutters" want to drop their expensive packages pay television channels but they still want to legally access the core of television programs and shows that they are following today, whether that is tv shows, movies, news channels, or sports.

I know some of these over-the-top subscription services for legal) online video on-demand streaming can be accessed directly via addons on all platforms, but other are only run on Windows or Android via special launcher addons, and some might be easier to access via server software such as PlayOn and Plex or similar middle-ware options, yet others can not really (legally) be access at all from Kodi soley via internet streaming today and instead means that you need to at least keep some kind of pay television channels and combine that they a USB-tuner to access Live TV .

Other then the idea on an episode about legally accessing popular online video on-demand streaming over-the-top services I think that an episode solely about using USB/PCI-tuners to access Live TV inside Kodi via free over-the-air television channels would be a good idea for a episode on your show.
Why restrict to USB tuners? There are also PCI tuners and network attached tuners.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Something that has never got much attention but is very powerful is the ability to completely customise the layout of your Library nodes.

See Custom_video_nodes (wiki) and new for Isengard Audio_nodes (wiki)

You can edit the existing Library nodes, remove them or add new ones and can be done from the GUI with the Library Node Editor, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224512
I agree with jjd-uk's post above, but would go one step further and say that the Custom Video Nodes are very similar to what MarcosQui has done for the Aeon MQ5, and ACE skins.

For example, in Aeon MQ5, I've setup a Cartoons Video Node for my Boy, and a NewTV Node for the Wife. Each pulls from the Genre's I've selected (Animation and Kid's TV for Cartoons, and TV Shows with new recurring episodes for NewTV). These are then setup on the Main page of Kodi, between Movies and TV Shows. So now it's fewer clicks for everyone in the family to find what they want (versus having to click the sub-menu on TV Shows, then select Genre's, then Select Animation (but you can't select both Animation and Kid's TV), etc.

So in this case, showing the differences between how the new Kodi Isengard build works, and how it's done in Aeon MQ5\ACE would make for a good show (at least in my opinion).
(2015-05-19, 19:34)jjd-uk Wrote: Something that has never got much attention but is very powerful is the ability to completely customise the layout of your Library nodes.

See Custom_video_nodes (wiki) and new for Isengard Audio_nodes (wiki)

You can edit the existing Library nodes, remove them or add new ones and can be done from the GUI with the Library Node Editor, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224512

I talked about nodes on the 4th episode, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought and it was probably hard to follow for viewers. I really want to make a whole series of prepared short videos talking about all their different use cases, since there are so many. Right now it's a hidden gem for most of our users.
(2015-05-18, 22:28)nickr Wrote: Why restrict to USB tuners? There are also PCI tuners and network attached tuners.
Sorry but I think you missed my point. I was requesting an episode dedicated to streaming video on demand via over-the-top subscription services, like Netflix and Hulu.

Edited my previous post to clarify that request.

I do however agree that it would be nice to have a separate episode about accessing Live TV in Kodi via USB-tuners, PCI/PCIe-tuners and network-attached-tuners.
Remote access/viewing of other people's (aka family) kodi desktop.
What kind of solutions are there for differnt systems.
Do's and don'ts (to tunnel or not to tunnel).
Based on the latest video (Episode 5), I liked the fact that you discussed "XBMC Check Previous Episode," and "XBMC Unpause Jumpback." Both very handy add-on's, and in fact I've never really used either one, so I will try those out ASAP.

The production of this episode, while better in some ways (nice to see you looking at the camera Nate), has some other issues 'Buggy Audio' (which I understand isn't your fault, sometimes Google does suck). What I would suggest is that you turn off the 'Following' option in your videos (you know, when Ned makes any kind of noise, the camera briefly switches to him (horribly with screen smudges, etc), but then switches back to you Nate. If you've ever been in virtual meetings before, you realize quickly that It is a Super Annoying feature. I would much rather see a smaller video of Ned in the bottom left or right, and when he needs to discuss something, switch the views, where Ned is full-screen, and Nate will be in the smaller bottom window. However, if you must keep this feature, practice muting your end of mic until you need to say something (which is also annoying, as you forget to un-mute your mic when talking).

Hope I'm not being rude pointing these things out, I do really like where you two are going with this, I'm just giving suggestions to make this a better experience for your viewers.
Good Job, I appreciate the Q&A near the end of the show, would like to see overview biased comparisons of o/s, skins, hardware solutions, servers and developer interviews with pet projects.
Removed all useless posts!
Stop doing +1 or you will get a couple of days ban. No warning
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for ideas, questions, whatever for cordcutting show0