• 1(current)
Looking for ideas, questions, whatever for cordcutting show
As some of you may have noticed, Ned and I started doing a cordcutting show a few weeks ago that we air every Thursday on Youtube, and we wanted to get people more involved in it, so we'd like your ideas for things to talk about or questions to answer.

We're honestly open to whatever. We tend to be Kodi specific, but this week I went on a semi-long rant about how much I want to see a movie where Natalie Portman wields Thor's hammer and attacks people with lightning. So, I mean, it's pretty open ended.

So first off, questions.

Second, for any of you old timers, I used to do a weekly Feature Friday post, where I feature various home setups that seemed really cool to me. I'd love to get back to that in video format. So all you guys posting in the Hardware Showcase area are welcome to offer up a video to show off as well. Or just post in this thread and we can probably figure out how to feature you.

The youtube channel is called KordKutters. Feel free to take a look. Here's the most recent episode.

*cough* PseudoTV Live? Main project goal is to emulate a fully featured modern cable box. Features do and will include, DVR, Interactive menus,Full Kodi integration (Channels available from any kodi source including plugins), easy Inapp channel configuration tool.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
- Live TV overview
- Installing and configuring a new skin (Aeon Nox maybe)
- Configuring a harmony remote
- Best Music Add-ons
- Best Video Add-ons
- Mapping buttons to a remote like EPG
- Registering and editing data on the WIKI
- Trakt TV add-on and Last.fm add-on usage
- How to use the Metadata sites that kodi relies on
- Uploading your first add-on to github
- Installing OpenELEC for the first time

If you guys explain the technology to make the videos, I can probably do a few of these
you could also invite devs to showcase their setups or alike
I found that LazyTV was something that really improved my TV experience with Kodi. There is something to be said aobut the 'control' of watching whatever you want, but just having a random playlist of your available next to be watched episodes is great. It lets me just go 'Suprise Me' and the machine starts playing, reminds of days I just left the TV on on a favorite channel to cycle through shows as the night went on.
Although I posted under the Youtube Comments of episode 4, I will re-post it here as well...

1. Create a document, that both of you share, with the topics you are going to discuss.
2. Maybe re-hearse the parts you are going to discuss (or at least try them on your system first, so you can figure out if they are going to work or not - I'm looking at you Ned). 8)
3. Perhaps create a standard guide of what you are going to talk about. For Example:
- First a feature or two of Kodi,
- then an Add-on you both like discussion,
- then a whats coming up discussion,
- and finally a Q and A with the people on Google+ (please repeat the question asked, so people watching this on Youtube know what was asked of you).
4. On that note, please be aware, that the majority of your audience will be on Youtube, and NOT Google+ (I would imagine most people will watch this while at work - I sure do).
5. Look at your Audience, place the camera so you end up looking at it, like you are talking to a bunch of friends. Nate tends to look to his Left monitor, while the camera is on his Right monitor.
(2015-05-15, 23:38)Powerhouse Wrote: Nate tends to look to his Left monitor, while the camera is on his Right monitor.

This is not actually accurate. I only have one monitor. The camera is just one of those that you can't very effectively cheat.

edit: With that said, while I appreciate the advice on how to run the video, I'm really looking more for opinions on topics to cover. Also, I don't follow the Youtube/G+ comment at all. My assumption to start out was that more people, in fact, all people, would watch this on Youtube. It's why I link the youtube link on the social networks.
As for Topics...

1. Hardware, Installation of Kodi, and Skin's and Add-on's that you use. So perhaps you are installing a RPi2, and you use OpenElec, show either onscreen, or in the Notes below the video, where you purchased said device (or where you can purchase if it was given to you for testing), where the download for OpenElec for the RPi2 is (links are your friend), Setting up Kodi (come on, we all have our special touches to make, and why), Installing and setting up your favorite Skin, and any Add-on's that you use often.

2. Tips for Newbies, as an example: Kodi Keyboard layout guide (that can be printed and taped to the bottom of a keyboard)
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=117985

3. Discussion on some of the scrappers that are used with Kodi (MediaElch, Ember, TinyMediaManager, etc), with demonstrations on their functions, and how they work (you know, actually use them, give them a rating, etc). Maybe you can do one of these each week, so you have time to actually use an play with them, to really get a feel for them. I know Kodi has its own built in scrappers, so why would a user want to use these instead of an external Scrapper (if you have to re-install Kodi, all of your settings are already there because of the NFO files created, etc, makes it even better if you have multiple systems that need to be re-setup).

4. Lets have some in-depth discussions on some of the cool features Kodi is working on. You started with the UPnP video, but what about Music Nodes (can these do top 100 of 1999? what about 2014?) and provide examples that your viewers can download and tryout (since most of these are .XML files, should be easy to do).

5. Cover some of the top Add-on's in depth (cdART Manager, Cinema Experience, Artist Slideshow), and maybe discuss the skins that have these already installed and ready to go (Aeon MQ5/6, ACE, Aeon NOX, Transparency!, etc).

6. Not to throw Ned under the Bus, but Newbies probably don't read enough of the Wiki (or even know about it), so maybe pick a section out of the Wiki and go over it, and how it applies to Kodi (which might actually give some advice on making that page more relevant). There are tons of good info in the Wiki, and I would like to see more people introduced to this.

7. How about actual information on KordKutting! What services people are using and how to get them to work in Kodi. Discuss how to get Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix into Kodi, with step by step directions. How about guides on how you rip your DVD's and BluRay's, and setup those folders so Kodi or your Scrappers can do their jobs correctly on them. I've seen so many posts of people putting all their movies under one folder, and having Kodi mess up scrapping them (usually one 1 movie shows up).

I can go on, but this seems like a good start.
(2015-05-15, 23:45)natethomas Wrote: ...I don't follow the Youtube/G+ comment at all. My assumption to start out was that more people, in fact, all people, would watch this on Youtube. It's why I link the youtube link on the social networks.

Right, the video is on Youtube, but it isn't a live cast, it is a recording of your live cast on G+. So I'm guessing you are looking at comments on G+, and you answer them, but on the Youtube video, I have no idea what the question was, as I don't see the same chat log that you are reading from. Maybe you could split screen the Chat log while you are answering the question (but this tends to make people post crazy stuff in the comments so watch out).
(2015-05-16, 00:19)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2015-05-15, 23:45)natethomas Wrote: ...I don't follow the Youtube/G+ comment at all. My assumption to start out was that more people, in fact, all people, would watch this on Youtube. It's why I link the youtube link on the social networks.

Right, the video is on Youtube, but it isn't a live cast, it is a recording of your live cast on G+. So I'm guessing you are looking at comments on G+, and you answer them, but on the Youtube video, I have no idea what the question was, as I don't see the same chat log that you are reading from. Maybe you could split screen the Chat log while you are answering the question (but this tends to make people post crazy stuff in the comments so watch out).

It is indeed a livecast while it's happening. I think there's about a 30 second delay, but while we're talking, the cast is live on Youtube.

Also, most questions we answer are from previous weeks, as we don't have enough live viewers to get questions during the cast, but where I'm looking for live questions it's always in the Youtube comments.
Some of the smallest addons are my favourites and could possibly do with some YouTube exposure.

*xbmc check previous episode
*xbmc unpause Jumpback

Also OS comparison
Run down on current hardware options
Pvr backend options
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@zag, OBS. Learn it. Love it.

edit: That tutorial is more about streaming, which we aren't doing, but the non-streaming stuff is still pretty good. It's the easy way to record Kodi or Kodi and your face, if you want.
(2015-05-15, 23:45)natethomas Wrote: This is not actually accurate. I only have one monitor. The camera is just one of those that you can't very effectively cheat.

edit: With that said, while I appreciate the advice on how to run the video, I'm really looking more for opinions on topics to cover. Also, I don't follow the Youtube/G+ comment at all. My assumption to start out was that more people, in fact, all people, would watch this on Youtube. It's why I link the youtube link on the social networks.

If I were you I wouldn't dismiss suggestions that can improve production value. Better the production value, more 'viewable' it is, the great the audience you can reach and the better you can inform people.
(2015-05-16, 18:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote: If I were you I wouldn't dismiss suggestions that can improve production value. Better the production value, more 'viewable' it is, the great the audience you can reach and the better you can inform people.

The problem is that this is off topic. If we want to start a thread talking about how good or bad we are as presenters, it's fine to do so, but that should be a different thread. This one is for topics to talk about.

edit: I guess it's probably worthless to point out, since I can already see the pitchforks being sharpened, but I'm fairly sure I didn't dismiss his suggestions for improving production value. I answered them as best I could, said thanks, and asked to try to focus on idea suggestions. I even asked for clarification on one production value bit, as I didn't understand it.
And meanwhile those of us who actually keep on topic and present ideas get no feedback at all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for ideas, questions, whatever for cordcutting show0