How can we fix the image size problem with addons?
I'm probably the biggest offender here. Frankly, I just use 'movies' or 'tvshows' depending on the content I need to display. I use Transparency! as my standard skin and usually test a new one on Confluence. Transparency! does a decent job of displaying an image regardless of the size or aspect ratio given to it. Different skins produce different results.
Generally, one doesn't have a choice as to size or aspect ratio of the image being scraped from a website. Another problem is many well known websites have very little usable metadata without doing a deep grab for individual pages which brings the speed of the addon to its knees, so often the metadata for a particular view is very sparse.
On the basis that some image is better than no image, I usually try to choose one that is closest to poster I can. If it's too high res or elongated in it's aspect ratio, I usually omit the poster image and use the image as fanart.
I've found that some websites change the size and aspect ratio of images from time to time, or if I have to swap to a mobile interface to get the addon to continue working after the main web site changes, all the images will be sized differently.
I don't have an answer to fix this. I'm thinking that maybe the addon could tell the skin what image size and metadata fields it has available and let the skin choose the view that's most appropriate. In reality this already exists because of the info fields and images currently being passed (but the addon is selecting the view), but maybe having the addon providing hints or something like that would lighten the load on the skin.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can we fix the image size problem with addons? - by learningit - 2015-05-17, 15:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can we fix the image size problem with addons?0