Can we end-user please have the 'Edit' (button) function back here in the forums?
Well, clearly, we're not changing your mind Big Grin

My complaint has been heard, though, and is on record forever (since I can't go back and change it now). Wink

I guess it just makes me feel like a little kid who hasn't earned the "privilege" of editing his posts. It's been a long time since I've felt that way.

I'll say one more thing, then I'm done:

This is the only forum that I'm a member of where users aren't given the ability to edit.

I think you've locked it down to prevent a problem which isn't really a problem, and every single day, someone posts, then posts again with a "sorry, can't find the edit button" post. Every day.

Thanks for listening.
OK, I lied about being done.

Did you get those stats by dividing the number of my posts by the number of days I've been a forum member?

I understand your reasoning, but I don't know that that's a fair measurement.

I was a lurker long before I was a poster. It's better to learn first before you harass people with questions, and now, I'm able to help out new users because of the knowledge I've gained.

OK, now I'm done.
pike Wrote:I have honestly no idea why some of you guys are making such a big deal out of it...

Here's some stats:

With these numbers, I think my argument of using the PREVIEW function is as solid as ever.
We already have exceptions for the people that really needs to edit posts, atleast for people which we haven't missed

If the point was correcting mistakes I would agree with you. Looking at how-tos etc it would allow the thread starter to update the first post rather than have to read pages and pages of text and maybe guess what the correct steps are. Obviously this thread is a waste of time, so I'm out.
I've been using vBulletin on a clan site for many years, and it's excellent.
I am however missing the edit button here on the XBMC community forum.

English is native to many of us, so it would help if we were allowed to correct the worst of our speeling errors Laugh
You can thank the users before you who abused the edit button for your current predicament. You know the saying, "It only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone."
Could you have a time limit on editing your posts. I know I've noticed little errors after I posted something and having a few minutes to put it right would be better than posting again straight after.
hmm i never really understood the term 'abuse the edit button' .. what's to abuse? Smile

replying with to correct things is more abusing than the edit function?

oh well maybe i'm overlooking something, was just wondering. Would love the ability to edit my posts though, as Hitcher stated it happens often i made some faults or forgot something.
HTPC + Mediaserver
E8400 - ABIT I-N73HD - 2GB DDR2 - 3.5TB - Geforce G210 - ANTEC FUSION V2 - Ubuntu 10.04 - XBMC-PVR

TV-Server
Ubuntu 10.04 - Tvheadend - Smargo Reader - Oscam Card Server - 2x PCI DVB-C
Hitcher Wrote:Could you have a time limit on editing your posts. I know I've noticed little errors after I posted something and having a few minutes to put it right would be better than posting again straight after.

Apparently the way the forums work you can't apply that per group, so mods would be limited in the same way.

This point isn't up for discussion, it's not changing.
Razor_109 Wrote:hmm i never really understood the term 'abuse the edit button' .. what's to abuse? Smile

replying with to correct things is more abusing than the edit function?

oh well maybe i'm overlooking something, was just wondering. Would love the ability to edit my posts though, as Hitcher stated it happens often i made some faults or forgot something.

The limitation seems to be in the forum software where the edit time is a global value, which means setting a time for an end user affects the admins as well (like Al stated), which is pretty lame if you ask me.

I too have think it would be nice if everyone could edit their posts to correct small mistakes, maybe it's something the forum admins could look into again, when they get a chance.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

althekiller Wrote:This point isn't up for discussion, it's not changing.

althekiller,

This is in no way meant to offend you personally, but I find that very irritating.

It makes us feel completely powerless, and like we're not really a part of the community.

I'll just say this:

This is the only forum that I've ever been a part of where I can't edit posts.

Frankly, it sucks.

You guys believe in "free" software and the sharing of ideas, and yet we don't even have the freedom to edit and update our own ideas on your servers.

I'm with Razor. How can you abuse the edit button?

If somebody trolls, just quote them, then they'll be punished.

Was this really a major problem? How many people actually abused the edit button?

It sounds like someone pissed off a few mods.

I guess I just don't like being treated like I'm in High School again.

/rant
@d4rk,

I think the global value affects developers, but not mods.

Couldn't we just make all the developers mods?
waldo22 Wrote:@d4rk,

I think the global value affects developers, but not mods.

Couldn't we just make all the developers mods?

I think all developers are mods currently, and I'm currently under the impression that it is in fact a global value. Need to check.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

It affects only non-mods who have edit rights. Currently these are some python scripters + some skinners + some other people who have demonstrated they have contributed to the forum. Primarily those who it makes sense to be able to have a first post in a thread that they can update with new versions and so on. I've suggested that this be looked in to, but I leave it up to those who do the majority of the moderation to make the decision in this regard.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:negatory, because I know many won't use it wisely.
and here's the explanation: if someone makes a troll post, I want it to be there forever, until it's deleted by us.
the head admin has spoketh

I see your point, but as head admin you're always able to see what's been edited, besides won't a troll poster get a ban, which means he won't be able to edit anything??

Possibly not changing your opinion, but for a few to be allowed to destroy it for so many sounds to me like they achieved the goal you didn't want them to achieve in the first place.
It's almost like giving in to terrorism...
@Wraith_DK: I don't think there's an Edit History, imagine how much extra space that would waste!

@ALL: Either way, I decided to listen to all who suggested we re"Enabled Edit Button".
Don't make me regret my deciscion

Peace Out and have a nice weekend
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can we end-user please have the 'Edit' (button) function back here in the forums?1