Android SMB Login issues Kodi v15
Well, this is confusing.as hell.
For "Microsoft Account" users, you have to give access both in "Share..." (don't know why it's greyed for you) AND in "Advanced Sharing..."

The logic behind it evades me but it works for me.
Note that I used the account first name to connect, not the email address and special chars in the pwd worked.
I think it's greyed out because I already have it shared.

Let me try the account first name on my end

Edit: Yup, just entering my first name associated with my account in the username and typing my password worked. That is the weirdest thing.
I have been trying to use User@email.com and a password with a special character "@".

LazerBlue: you used First Name + Last Name of the account holder and it worked?
(2015-07-07, 01:38)Skates Wrote: I have been trying to use User@email.com and a password with a special character "@".

LazerBlue: you used First Name + Last Name of the account holder and it worked?
No. Just my first name and the account password
I think the first name is the actual user ID for Windows.
Just go to the "Users" folder and you'll see that the user folders have that name.
windows installations having activated/in use more authorities available to authorise new session many times appreciated a hint, what is the authoritative "domain".

so in case of a local user account the username was created as WINDOWSMACHINENAME\username . it was clearly visible on NT4DOM or ADS bonded systems, but in general it is not specific only to this - specially if Windows is (able) using other types of external authentication mechanisms.

it is worth trying.
(2015-07-07, 07:36)Koying Wrote: I think the first name is the actual user ID for Windows.
Just go to the "Users" folder and you'll see that the user folders have that name.

Using the username instead of the email address login worked on Kodi 15.

Any thoughts on what may have changed in the Android SMB module? The Windows version of Kodi 15 was not affected by this.
Well, we used to use an antiquated version (3.0) that we bumped to 3.6
No idea why it worked with the email address before, the first name has always been the user ID in win8, AFAIK.
I've always used the email address in Kodi and other software (including Windows itself, on other computers) for SMB shares. Seems like it should work in Isengard too, but if this new method works.....
I bought a Nexus Player this week during the Target fire sale and have spent several hours troubleshooting this exact issue. I keep getting prompted for the SMB credentials over and over again and the Kodi log shows the same thing that LazerBlue provided in post #2. I am connecting via SMB to an OpenIndiana ZFS server that is connected to Active Directory. I am able to reproduce this issue on my Galaxy S6 but not on both domain-joined and non-domain-joined Windows 7 Kodi clients. It definitely seems to be an issue with the Android version.

Here is the log from /var/adm/messages on my OpenIndiana server when I try to connect. Stuff is the name of the share:

Oct 22 09:36:49 nas smbsrv: [ID 138215 kern.notice] NOTICE: smbd[NT Authority\Anonymous]: stuff access denied: IPC only

It does not appear to be sending the credentials I am providing. It does not matter if I use a full SMB string such as smb://domain;user:pass@nasip/stuff or if I fill out each individual field in the GUI for adding a SMB share. the result is the same: the user/password box pops up over and over again and each time I get that log entry on my OI server. I reverted my Galaxy S6 to 14.2 Helix and that SMB string worked instantly. I assume the same will apply to the Nexus Player. I'd really like to use 15.2 so I'm hoping we can figure out a fix but it feels like it might be an issue with the SMB 3.6 client. Sad
I found a thread where Koying commented that SMB 3.6 was merged on 4/4/15 so I went looking for the newest build before that date. I found Isengard 15.0-Alpha2 from 4/1/15 and it has no issues connecting to my SMB share. I know SMB 3.6 brings many benefits to a lot of different users so I know it is not going to be reverted but I'm hoping if we can figure out what is pissing it off maybe I can make an adjustment on my server side to fix it.

I am NOT a SMB expert but I know the OI SMB stack for ZFS is their own in-kernel implementation. I want to say it's a bit dated and is SMB1 ONLY. Could this cause the issue? I will also add that I enabled guess mode and gave Everyone full access to the share and it made no difference. At this point I'm just thinking out loud.
Now that I narrowed down the culprit to Samba 3.6 I started researching what if anything changed in that version and found this:

http://www.legendiary.at/2012/07/17/samb...le-to-3-4/

It sounded like what I was experiencing because the author mentions it manifests with a misleading authentication failure error. I edited Kodi's smb.conf with this line which fixed the issue:

client ntlmv2 auth = no

I actually experimented with the opposite last night and had client ntlmv2 auth = yes added in the smb.conf based on this blog post: https://martinvanbeurden.nl/blog/xbmckod...ss-denied/

I'm leaving this info here in case in helps anyone else or if it helps the developers decide if this change should be default or not.
I have Helix and I had the problem connecting to my Windows 8.1 computer.
When I was trying to connect to it I got the window with the text: "'lock preferences for SMB"

I just created a local account (not the outlook account) when It ask for a user, I just put the account information and now I can have access to my files.

//Sorry for my english. I just want to share my solution with you all Smile

Good luck!
Just commenting this still seems to be an issue. I just got a ShieldTV and was trying to get into SMB to watch the vids located on my Win10 pc. Kept getting the login would just kick back with no errors. My Windows login was my email address, so I changed it to just my name and then it worked immediately. Seems the Kodi SMB login can't handle the "@" symbol still.
This drove me nuts. It's worked for years, then didn't work last week. I can't tell you the number of hours I spent on it. My fix was simple - all of a sudden Kodi won't accept 'administrator' as username. No, it requires 'Administrator' because all of a sudden it's gone all case-sensitive on me. Yes, obvious I know...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Login issues Kodi v152