Intel NUC - Braswell
Nice one... I've also added it to Intel Braswell boxes compilation's first post.
Many have overlooked that according to the specifications, the Braswell NUCs do not support bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD anymore. Their predecessors did support those lossless audio formats.

According to tests on a NUC5CPYH running Windows 10, there is no support for DTS-HD and TrueHD on Windows. However, it just seems to work on OpenELEC. I guess one would have to test files with very high bitrates to see if it was merely a coincidence.

To sum up, the Braswell NUCs probably aren't appropriate media center boxes considering the fact that Intel doesn't even officially support DTS-HD and TrueHD.
(2015-08-17, 17:58)Fabianius Wrote: To sum up, the Braswell NUCs probably aren't appropriate media center boxes considering the fact that Intel doesn't even officially support DTS-HD and TrueHD.
Yes, if both HD Audio bitstreaming and Windows are requirements. For someone using OpenELEC or not needing HD Audio bitstreaming support, the Braswell is still a worthy option.

I've added a note regarding this in Intel Braswell boxes compilation's first post to avoid nasty surprises.
(2015-08-17, 17:58)Fabianius Wrote: Many have overlooked that according to the specifications, the Braswell NUCs do not support bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD anymore. Their predecessors did support those lossless audio formats.

According to tests on a NUC5CPYH running Windows 10, there is no support for DTS-HD and TrueHD on Windows. However, it just seems to work on OpenELEC. I guess one would have to test files with very high bitrates to see if it was merely a coincidence.

To sum up, the Braswell NUCs probably aren't appropriate media center boxes considering the fact that Intel doesn't even officially support DTS-HD and TrueHD.

To sum up, windows is probably not an appropriate media centre OS.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-17, 22:19)nickr Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 17:58)Fabianius Wrote: Many have overlooked that according to the specifications, the Braswell NUCs do not support bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD anymore. Their predecessors did support those lossless audio formats.

To sum up, windows is probably not an appropriate media centre OS.

Yes. It's just annoying it is usually the best platform for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. though...
It's not a concidence. On OE - all those raw rips - just work without any issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
missingremote.com: Intel NUC Kit NUC5PGYH Braswell Mini PC

Quote:Conclusion

I am impressed. There is no other way to say it. Intel has delivered a fantastic HTPC, at an outstanding price. The value packed into this $250/£220 ($280 SRP) system is amazing. You get CIR, 802.11AC Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Gigabit Ethernet included alongside 2GB of DDR-3L RAM, 32GB storage, and Windows 10 Home pre-installed. You can plug it in and watch your content in minutes. Naturally, there are a few things that I wish were better; like support for discrete On/Off IR commands, a less buzzy HSF, Windows support for HBR audio bit streaming, and another RAM slot. But, if these features were present, I can see how the Intel NUC5PGYH would cannibalize Intel Core NUC sales – which I imagine Intel very much wants to avoid. It is that good.

Pro:

Outstanding value (complete HTPC for $250)
Form factor
Video decoding capability (includes 4K HEVC!)
Power consumption

Con:

CIR does not support discrete power commands
Windows audio driver does not support HBR audio formats
HSF is buzzy

Intel NUC Kit NUC5PGYH - Pinnacle Canyon (BOXNUC5PGYH0AJR) ab € 240,74

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Braswell2