Why is the volume so low in videos with AC3/DTS audio?
1-15-04 version of xbmc. i love being able to play isos ripped from dvddecrypter. this function works great! but the audio is about 25%-50% of normal when playing video isos. other video formats seems to be at 100% level.
hey,

wierd problem atm, xbmc plays files but really quietly. as there is no manual volume control (or is there? i can't find it) how can i change the default volume levels.

thanks for your time.
go to  [ setting ]..  
then [ music ]
and youll see "volume amplification  00.00/60.00

just crank it up..

hope that helps..
snyper
correction "audio amplification" only works for audio in videos, and not for standalone audio files (such as *.mp3, *.wav, etc.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
first off, congrats on your software, it rocks.

one quick quetsion though, when playing a dvd the volume is excessively low. its fine for mp3s, avis etc but hardly audible for a dvd. can this be adjusted anywhere? (i have tried the volume control on the control bar but no luck)
you can a amplify ratio for the audio in the settings, but this will affect all videos.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i gave the audio settings a try and the dvd volume became audible but my xvids were way too loud.

thanks anyway.
the volume on my xvids with ac3 is quite low compared to the music. i went into the settings & raised the normalization, but that just distorted the music. is there a way to make the video volume the same as the music volume? on my computer, i set the ac3 filter to loud, but of course that's only for playback.
also, some of my mp3s are louder than others. is there a volume normalization feature, like the winamp plug-in?
1. difference between music and movies. absolutely! thats all differences in mastering. there is no "normalization" function in xbmc currently, it can never be dynamic, since the only way to know how much to alter somethings volume would be a complete scan of the file.

2. differences between music, same as 1. differences in mastering. here there's a tool you can use however on your mp3's => mp3gain <=
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

thanks for the link, pike.
so how do you adjust the volume when ripping dvds? i've been using autogk because of the ease of use. should i try gordian knot? what program do you recommend?
by making the volume of movies the same as music, i was wondering if there was a way to adjust the video volume independently from the music volume.
if you rip to divx/xvid or any other avi format and use mp3 as audioformat, you can "normalize" it with the same program (mp3gain) before you mux it

i've been encoding them with the 6-channel ac3 soundtrack. is there anything i can do?
i'll ask the same thing at videohelp.com.
if you listen to more 'modern' popular music, ie, top 40 billboard stuff, it's usually compressed to the point of suffocation...meaning it's always going to be loud shit. movies are always much more dynamic, even with normalization, most all movies will still be quiter in order to compensate for the necceasry overhead needed to make an explosion literally louder than say a car door closing would be.
i've seen this issue brought up several times, but never really gotten a  good answer on the subject.

the issue is with ac3.
the volume of a ac3 movie is very low.
alternative is to amplify audio in settings, but that again results in very loud mp3 music and movies without ac3.
i read above that the amplification is for video only.
that is not the case for me at least.

first question: are there any way of setting the volume of ac3 stream only? (or something like that)

second question: are there a hardware solution to the issue. other than buying a reciever

third question: how come there is no problem with this in "old" xbmp?

hopeful for good answers
soundie.
thnx for your time!
i've done some experimenting today.

1. bought a optical cable for the xbox - thinking i might trick it... no result.

2. downmixed from ac3 to stereo mp3, and added the mp3 to the xvid, so i could select between two audio tracks inside the xvid. and as expected the mp3 volume is fine, but the ac3 not. tho mp3 was totally out of sync, but thats due to my incompetance. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is the volume so low in videos with AC3/DTS audio?0