• 1(current)
TheLogoDB.com - The Open TV Logo Database (wiki-based, register and contribute)
Dear all,

Yesterday I was making some improvements to the live tv section of my kodi setup since the interface was taking too long to load. Though it was because of some of the logo resolution I was using was too large. So I spent some time searching the forum for some standard/advised dimensions for those logos and suprisingly it seems there is no consensus. A user advised in one of the threads that the 256x256 resolution was his preference considering the tradeoff between load time and image appearance.
Even more surprisingly, I couldn't find a single site with standard dimension logos or with control over the presented images. Sites like http://www.lyngsat.com/ just present a logo to fill the space, no matter the filetype, if it is transparent, etc.

I ended up "building" the logos myself since I was not happy with the ones I found online. I believe a lot of other people have done the same before. All those nice transparent png logos end up locked in the user htpc with no other way of being shared appart from a zip file lost in some thread.

So I thought it probably is a good idea to create a website like theaudiodb or thesportsdb with the single mission of storing all those high resolution tv channel logos. Standard dimensions and image types would have to be decided and a few alternatives would be available for each image type.

I don't see a lot of variations but we could have a square logo, like the image below:

A "horizontal logo display":

And probably monochrome variations:

Would love to hear your thoughts on this

EDIT Zag:

Please upload any logo artwork to here
http://www.thelogodb.com/

Or any channel additions to this google spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Upload guide
- Logos should be transparent PNG images
- 800 wide by 450 tall
interesting idea, i made mine from myself, but never used them. i don't like how they are displayed from kodi.
lots of logos have only horizontal version and put them into a square palette made them incomprensible. they should be re-designed from scratch.
+1
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
+1
@enen92 maybe you are a mind reader or @zag mentioned that I hit him up about this idea last week. I have the lyngstat logo guys on board already. Just waiting to hear more from zag on the brain storming session. Thanks for posting this.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I discussed this topic several times with @Kode for doing this at fanart.tv
Problem was having a solid database list with studio/channel names.
I really hope he's still interested in adding it.

We already have studio labels there for music
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Once we can come up with a standard I do believe lyngstat would be willing to help
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Lunatixz did suggest fanart.tv as a possible place

IMPORTANT:
(2015-05-27, 21:08)Martijn Wrote: I discussed this topic several times with @Kode for doing this at fanart.tv
Problem was having a solid database list with studio/channel names.
I really hope he's still interested in adding it.

We already have studio labels there for music

I don't know how easy it is for them. For what I have read on their forums (about adding game metadata to the site) the main issue was getting an api to identify the items. For instance, the same game title available for different consoles/platforms usually have a different id.
That might be a problem for this idea as well as certainly there are much more tv channels on the community setups than tvshows or movies that belong to available channels on any tv metadata database. And for what I see, they rely too much on external api's.
Nice to know this idea has been discussed before Wink

My best bet is to create something from scratch with an option to add channels by the user. Channel names and countries could then be imported from a csv file. Something like @zag is doing for sports events. Afaik, a lot of code on thesportsdb can be reused for this simple purpose.

Cheers
(2015-05-27, 21:02)bry- Wrote: @enen92 maybe you are a mind reader or @zag mentioned that I hit him up about this idea last week. I have the lyngstat logo guys on board already. Just waiting to hear more from zag on the brain storming session. Thanks for posting this.

Ahah, coincidence then, didn't know this was discussed before. In fact I was really surprised no standard dimensions seems to exist and almost no references on the forum. If lyngsat provides a database or a simple api to import channels that would be a big step to make the idea a reality.
+1
Main TV: LibreELEC 7.0.1 / Kodi 16.1, with Xonfluence skin on Asus Chromebox (1.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, 64Gb SSD) + DVB-S and DVB-T with TVH.
Plus testing v17 nighlies on Macbook, and using Estuary skin.
+1
+1
(2015-05-27, 21:35)enen92 Wrote:
(2015-05-27, 21:02)bry- Wrote: @enen92 maybe you are a mind reader or @zag mentioned that I hit him up about this idea last week. I have the lyngstat logo guys on board already. Just waiting to hear more from zag on the brain storming session. Thanks for posting this.

Ahah, coincidence then, didn't know this was discussed before. In fact I was really surprised no standard dimensions seems to exist and almost no references on the forum. If lyngsat provides a database or a simple api to import channels that would be a big step to make the idea a reality.

this is part of the reason I reached out to @zag about the db/api stuff.
(2015-05-28, 00:12)bry- Wrote:
(2015-05-27, 21:35)enen92 Wrote:

this is part of the reason I reached out to @zag about the db/api stuff.

I'd agree that its a crazy!! coincidence... since -bry has been acting on my behalf to get ppl interested in a logo db... your OP has exactly what I asked -bry to look into... down to the three types of logos, white sq, color sq, color banner... and lynsat not having trans logos... I built a script to parse their site for logos, if you are interested PM me... but the logos are very poor quality.

I'd like to see fanart.tv create a logo db... Smile
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TheLogoDB.com - The Open TV Logo Database (wiki-based, register and contribute)3