v14 Is it possible to create a 'subskin'-a skin that depends on and modifies another
Hello there.

I like to fine-tune the skins I use directly in the xml files. At the moment I'm using a modded Transparency! skin and I don't want to lose the changes when I update it, and eventually I will need or want to update it.

I would like to know if there's a solution to that, perhaps some way to create a 'child' skin that replaces only some stuff.

If there's no way to do that, perhaps then there's a 'basic' skin I can use as a basis to develop my own skin for my specific needs. I don't want to create a skin from scratch.

Any help is appreciated.
Just copy the folder, rename it and edit the skin id things in the addon.xml. But you have to add the changes of the updates manually.
If you want to start creating your own, Conq is a good base.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
Thanks. That's what I'm trying to avoid though...

Perhaps there's some kind of program that can automatically 'patch' xml files so I just make a patch with the changes and then the program will apply them to a given Transparency! version so I don't have to manually do that every time. Any ideas?

EDIT: I kinda gave up on making my own skin because it's so much work... modding Transparency! is the way to go.
(2015-05-27, 20:44)-Alan Wrote: Perhaps there's some kind of program that can automatically 'patch' xml files so I just make a patch with the changes and then the program will apply them to a given Transparency! version so I don't have to manually do that every time. Any ideas?

assuming you're using windows:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-05-27, 22:08)ronie Wrote:
(2015-05-27, 20:44)-Alan Wrote: Perhaps there's some kind of program that can automatically 'patch' xml files so I just make a patch with the changes and then the program will apply them to a given Transparency! version so I don't have to manually do that every time. Any ideas?

assuming you're using windows:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
Thank you, however, those tools they are not 'xml-aware' afaik. I'd need a tool that identify and replaces xml blocks for a better compatibility, like a tool that identify something like this:
Code:
    <include name="VerticalSubMenuButtonAnim">
        <animation effect="zoom" start="258,219,1,288" end="258,219,310,288" time="200">Visible</animation>
        <animation effect="zoom" start="258,219,310,288" end="258,219,1,288" time="200">Hidden</animation>
    </include>
and replace the occurrence with some other data, no matter in which line it is... so I'd just have to configure what should replace what. If there's no such tool, I could make a simple one (python and xml parser).
(2015-05-28, 06:47)-Alan Wrote: Thank you, however, those tools they are not 'xml-aware' afaik.

of course they are :-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-05-28, 11:25)ronie Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 06:47)-Alan Wrote: Thank you, however, those tools they are not 'xml-aware' afaik.

of course they are :-)

Nice. I never knew that. I thought diffutils and patch simply would work based on lines numbers (e.g.: deleted line x, inserted line "y" at z, etc.). Time to read some man-pages Smile.

Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to create a 'subskin'-a skin that depends on and modifies another0