• 2(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2015-05-31, 03:12)Kris404 Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 03:01)Tinwarble Wrote: 2) What's your playback settings. Do you have "Adjust frame refresh rate" set?

Yes, I have it set to adjust refresh rate 'On/Off' (also tried toggling Windowed mode)

Do I have to set it to 24Hz using TVHz app first?

Working for me with the build in the OP, at least for the first (and only) movie I've tried.
(2015-05-31, 03:01)Tinwarble Wrote: 2) What's your playback settings. Do you have "Adjust frame refresh rate" set?

False alarm, the jerky behavior last night was because of TMDB scraping the library.

I just tried some of the largest MKVs I have (24GB), they playback fine at 24Hz.

Only thing remaining is the colorspace issue. The blacks are not blacks, just gray, very annoying.
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
(2015-05-31, 01:43)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-05-30, 10:10)Koying Wrote: @commiespy Is 2) still an issue for you? Works for me...
Did you try the build in OP?

Just received mine today and tested and 2) is working for me with the test build.

Yep. Works for me too with the latest build. Much appreciated. Thanks Koying

Found another issue: flac 24/96 and 24/192 get downsampled to 48kHz. Any ideas?

VLC has the same problem, but Google Play Music app plays them correctly, so I know the box can do it.
I setup my family room TV with the box!earlier on 5-29 build and it switches to 24p fine. Setup my theater with 5-30 build and it doesn't switch to 24p. Theater has a Sony 55ES projector and a Demon 2100W receiver. I used the HDM8 cable that was plugged in to my Chromebox with kodi that works fine.

Did I miss a setting? Build issue? Receiver issue? Projector issue?
No you didn't miss anything. It looks like something broke in the frame rate switching between the 1st test build and this one since I lost it after updating.

It also looks like there was some attempt in adding HD audio pass-through in the 5/30/15 build, but it's not working. Seems that although you can select HD audio pass-through it's still, at least for DTS, pushing the core according to the codec info.

Also, selecting fixed/192kHz max makes it so your watching a silent movie. You could select it before and although it was only 48kHz there was still audio coming out.

Another thing that I've noticed is that with mutli-channel PCM the audio is about 17db +/- lower than any other app, so if you exit out and play something via another app you go deaf . Boosting the volume though, gives some weird surround effect, where it's fine at 0db. This was the same on the previous test build also.

I'm rolling back since the 5/30 build seems much buggier.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-05-31, 05:19)Kris404 Wrote:

False alarm, the jerky behavior last night was because of TMDB scraping the library.

I just tried some of the largest MKVs I have (24GB), they playback fine at 24Hz.

Only thing remaining is the colorspace issue. The blacks are not blacks, just gray, very annoying.

Not sure if this will help, but try changing the HDMI settings in Android from Best frame rate (which I believe is the default) to Best resolution and see if that helps anything.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
If we are on the topic of bug reports, allow me to add this one regarding the M2TS splitter being used inside Kodi:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-L.../td-p/4914

In particular, the 'Summer in Alaska' clip is the one that I have tested out on the Shield TV. The issue can be seen in Kodi 15.0 beta 1 (not the latest build here).

Playing back the same file with the native Android Video Player is perfect, no stutter in the train moving scene.
(2015-05-31, 07:37)Tinwarble Wrote: Not sure if this will help, but try changing the HDMI settings in Android from Best frame rate (which I believe is the default) to Best resolution and see if that helps anything.

Tried it, doesn't make any difference. Gray color and gray top/bottom bars for Anamorphic (2.35:1) content remain.

I think it maybe a limitation of Android itself (in which case, this box has to go right back)

Btw, this build just works for any content thrown at it: Kodi 15.0-BETA2 Git:2015-05-23-361579b (Complied: May 23 2015)
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
(2015-05-31, 07:46)Ganesh_AT Wrote: If we are on the topic of bug reports, allow me to add this one regarding the M2TS splitter being used inside Kodi:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-L.../td-p/4914

In particular, the 'Summer in Alaska' clip is the one that I have tested out on the Shield TV. The issue can be seen in Kodi 15.0 beta 1 (not the latest build here).

Playing back the same file with the native Android Video Player is perfect, no stutter in the train moving scene.

Well, bugs specific to the Shield. Wink

There's no doubt that there are going to be bugs or just things that don't work with Kodi 15.0 beta 1 since it was released before any development started for this particular box/SoC and this is not the first time that there's been a new device released and we've had to wait for the box developer and/or Kodi team to get thing working relatively well.

(2015-05-31, 07:58)Kris404 Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 07:37)Tinwarble Wrote: Not sure if this will help, but try changing the HDMI settings in Android from Best frame rate (which I believe is the default) to Best resolution and see if that helps anything.

Tried it, doesn't make any difference. Gray color and gray top/bottom bars for Anamorphic (2.35:1) content remain.

I think it maybe a limitation of Android itself (in which case, this box has to go right back)

Btw, this build just works for any content thrown at it: Kodi 15.0-BETA2 Git:2015-05-23-361579b (Complied: May 23 2015)

Well, it was worth a try. :Sad:. But you might want to be a little patient before sending it back (See statement above).

It may be a Android thing, or it may be on the Kodi end. But anyone buying this box and thinking they could just install Kodi and everything was just going to work was probably in to big of a hurry to get their hands on something new.

There's probably going to be a few test builds in the days to come, before some things work like they should.
(2015-05-31, 07:58)Kris404 Wrote:

Are you certain this is in the content, ie video contains the black bars and all blacks are grey?

I had grey black bars (not part of video) in a different android TV app. I don't recall the fix, but it was fixable
(2015-05-31, 07:58)Kris404 Wrote: Gray color and gray top/bottom bars for Anamorphic (2.35:1) content remain.
This is a function of your TV. It is expecting full range (0-255) in RGB mode. Have you checked your TV's settings whether there is an option to change RGB levels? Just like the Nexus Player, SHIELD output is RGB Limited (16-235) and there isn't an easy way to change it at this time. I have checked the RGB bit values from SHIELD's HDMI output and they are mostly correct. There are some trivial color errors (dE2000 ~0.5). These errors are all lower than the threshold for human visual perception. I wish it had perfect output like the Amlogic SoCs.

(2015-05-31, 09:09)wesk05 Wrote: This is a function of your TV. It is expecting full range (0-255) in RGB mode. Have you checked your TV's settings whether there is an option to change RGB levels? Just like the Nexus Player, SHIELD output is RGB Limited (16-235) and there isn't an easy way to change it at this time. I have checked the RGB bit values from SHIELD's HDMI output and they are mostly correct. There are some trivial color errors (dE2000 ~0.5). These errors are all lower than the threshold for human visual perception. I wish it had perfect output like the Amlogic SoCs.

Nice table Smile May I ask how you generate that?
Dev thread for test builds created here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228361
(2015-05-31, 09:43)Ganesh_AT Wrote: Nice table Smile May I ask how you generate that?

The readings are taken using the Color Checker option built into DVDO AVLab TPG 4K UHD Pattern Generator. I used MP4 pattern files from Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk on the SHIELD and the HDMI output was passthroughed the TPG. dE2000 is calculated manually.
I have created a thread in the nvidia support forum because of the thing with the rgb color space ... their needs to be an option to select limited or full range like in the ps4 or xbox one.
Also any further issues you guys find it would be awesome if you create support threads in the nvidia forum because the moderator support is currently adressing all issues posted their and nvidia seems to be very focused on getting bug reports.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...erent-tvs/
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6